Any tips on case -splitting??

4 replies to this topic
  • yam314

Posted December 04, 2009 - 02:28 PM

I am trying to split the cases on my '07 450. I have done this before on my 250f,and it was pretty easy w/o any sort of puller,but maybe because it's so darn cold outside(and in my garage),that it is not coming apart very easily. It has about a 1/4" gap on all sides,and I am only using the 3 pry tabs ,but it seems to be stuck now.

The manual just says to remove all bolts and counter balancer.and the cases should come right apart! No mention of any sort of puller or special tools.Any suggestions on where to apply heat,or should I just bring it in the house overbight,and try it again in the morning?

• Fastest1

Posted December 04, 2009 - 06:41 PM

Are you in Houston? You know it is frozen together tonight! As soon as this global warming kicks in it will come apart. Are you married? She will let you bring it in? Heat might help. the cases arent cocked are they?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaha8519B

Posted December 04, 2009 - 06:47 PM

hold the case your pulling off and tap on the gear shafts and crank end with a rubber mallet. They tend to not want to come out of the bearings. This may be due to the cold also. I would lightly heat the inner race of the bearings and the case around the dowels.

• yam314

Posted December 04, 2009 - 06:51 PM

I have the motor inside the house sitting on top of the washing machine.
I don't think she has noticed it yet! I will try again on Monday-race this weekend.

• mediumfast

Posted December 04, 2009 - 07:00 PM

I'll just say something that's obvious to most....don't use screwdrivers to pry on anything.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.