Why did you choose the YZ450?

My first thumper was an 01 YZ426 and it was a heavy pig but fun to ride...I then went to an 02 CRF450. Felt like a feather compared the 426. I then got an 04 CRF and then 07 CRF. I rode a friends 08 YZ450F and loved it...so much easier to go fast on than the hondas. So I bought one and now I am on my 2nd...an 09 in white.

When the 08 came out. It felt like a 250F so much so that my friend and dad thought it was the YZ250F on their short ride around a track (they obviously did not open it up, it was just a mini track). It turns so well and the suspension is very good and in stock form it is quiet. Plus it's durable beyond belief.

My first thumper was a 1959 BSA Goldstar "Clipper" set up for dirt racing. But that was a while back. I chose the YZ450 originally because people wanted too much for their CRF's, and their reputation was, shall we say, suspect. After owning the '03, the reliability of the YZF became the #1 reason that I chose the '06, along with the vastly improved suspension and handling.

It became too hard to keep the Honda running allways valve issues. I have a 08 Yz450 and it has been a great bike except the stock exhaust which I replaced with a Dr.D. Only issues is now I would like sell it but it is not worth much with the prices of the left overs would like a 2010 depending on tests but may buy another 08. But I do miss the Honda motor

My decision was actually a long carefully thought out process of me reading through a ton of TT threads. I've always been a Yamaha guy and had no reason to stray when I looked to buy a new 450. Then I would read fellow TTer's bash the cornering characteristics and the new pipe and so on:blah: but of course the positives that were continually stated outweighed the negative. I eventually got to try an '07 and instantly felt shame for ever doubting. I've always had great experiences owning Yamahas in th past Personally The reliability factor was huge for me. In spring '08 I found a new leftover '07 YZ450f for 4799.00(of coarse, they don't turn!:cheers:) Should have never thought twice. I absolutely love this bike! Thanks to the TT comunity for steering me in the right direction.:banghead:

Edited by mywifefarts

I have to say its because the Honda dealer here gave me MSRP for a price on a leftover CRF. I dont play that way, fair price up front or I walk. My buddy is on his sixth consecutive YZ and told me to talk to the owner of the shop he deals at. He was fair and good to deal with. There is alot of talk on this site about getting rid of dealers altogether but there is alot of good shops out there and they have a huge role to play in our sport. Cheapest price is not everything. Im a Yamaha guy now and the 08 I have suits me perfectly. Good all round machine.

I bought mine for the suspension action and the confidence improvement over the CRF. I had a 04,05,06 CRF and while I still think their motors are better for me and the Honda turns a little bit better, I could never get as comfortable with the suspension on the Honda as I am with the Yamaha. I recently added a OEM flywheel to my 08 YZF450 and really like the motor now. More like the low end response of the Honda. I hope to ride an 09 CRF soon and get a feel for it.

I previously owned an 01 426 bought it brand new because I wanted race bike performance and 4 stroke reliability. Then I sold it to upgrade to a boat two years later went by and I bought an 04 its a great bike but getting tired. I just purchased an 08 it handles well and I like the high speed stability of YZf's. What I don't get is why everyone loves the stock suspension. Its garbage compared to my Enzo work 04 YZf. Needless to say my 08 does everything else better and I am looking into suspension work!

I got the 450 cause im the little guy on a big bike haha....i didnt wanna be the little guy on little bike cause id be a the back of the pack all the time....im 6'2", 150 lbs.... Its like riding a bull haha just hold the hell on..

So fun though. Would never buy a smaller bike ever!

I've ridden Yamaha since I was 9. I ride alot by myself, and NEVER been left stranded 20 miles from home. As far as why 450, I love having more power than anybody needs. I love going to fast, and still have throttle left. But I'm just a Dirt Merchant Throttle Jocky with an insatiable love for dust clouds and mud puddles

I've ridden Yamaha since I was 9. I ride alot by myself, and NEVER been left stranded 20 miles from home. As far as why 450, I love having more power than anybody needs. I love going to fast, and still have throttle left. But I'm just a Dirt Merchant Throttle Jocky with an insatiable love for dust clouds and mud puddles

exactly!!!!! everyone asks why i need soo much power??

answer to that is.....I dont, but its there if i need/want it

honestly, i bought an 04 yz450 because it was the best deal on craigslist. 2000 approx 6 months ago for a super pristine model with maybe 30 hours.

it is fun to cheer for your favorite but honestly, they reached parity years ago.

So I was wondering...what made all of you guys want a YZ450?

I wanted one because of the reliability, smooth power delivery, the torque curve, and I feel more "planted" than on a two stroke.

Came off a 02 CR250. First bike was an 06 YZ450f. second was a n 08 YZ450F, then an 09 YZ450f, then I sold it to get a 2010. Decided not to get the 10 and will get a new 09.

Just love the usable power

The answer for me was so simple.

All my friends that ride them and look after them have no reliabilty issues. None. My friend just sold his 250hour old 06yz450f and the motor 'felt' way strong. All he did was airfilter and oil. Another friend ran the radiator dry when the water pump seals leaked (common fault). And to my total amazement, he fixed the seals filled the radiator and has ridden it for the last 12 months with no issues. True story!!!! :banghead:

I think the only other bike that has come close to motor reliabilty is the KX450F. I owned one and it was a vgood bike.

I dont care if the other brands are a hairs whisker better at this or MAYBE that. The YZ is so far ahead in reliabilty its a no contest.

:cheers::worthy::worthy:

When the 08 came out. It felt like a 250F so much so that my friend and dad thought it was the YZ250F on their short ride around a track (they obviously did not open it up, it was just a mini track). It turns so well and the suspension is very good and in stock form it is quiet. Plus it's durable beyond belief.

turns well? i dont know about that its the worst tuning bike out there serious push and standing up problems at speed, and it lacks hit off the bottom,but reliabilaty is unmatched! and its a rocket on the top,the suspesion is the best stock suspesion ever.