Stock "quiet" Pipes

7 replies to this topic
  • JPNTHUMP

Posted September 09, 2000 - 03:43 PM

Hey folks, when you purchased your (YZ400F/426F)bikes in the states or elsewheres, did the dealer provide you with a spare "quiet" exhaust pipe and an extra side number panel (with a bit extra clearance for the pipe)? My bike came with one (bought in Japan) and I'm wondering if this pipe, silencer, and plate are a Japan only item. It's got a large flat chamber(like a DR)and of course is heavier than the stock pipe, but it quiets down the bike I guess(I never put mine on). Anyway, I'm asking because I can get my hands on at least 2 of them(NEW) and I'm wondering if I should hang on to them, or possibly trade/sell them.

• JK

Posted September 09, 2000 - 05:27 PM

I ride a lot close to my house. I live in a rural area but I am shure my neighbors would like my 426 to have a muffler that was a little less loud. How much do you want for the exaust. I wonder if there are any specs on how many decibles the regular exaust and the more quiet produce. Thanks

• JPNTHUMP

Posted September 10, 2000 - 12:49 AM

I don't think there are any specs(decibles), but it's built just like a Suzuki DR pipe. It has a big oval shaped flat canister area that tucks underneith the right side number plate(which comes with it to provide clearance for the pipe). I know that DR's are super quiet, so I'm sure these are comparable. They are on the heavier side though, and I'm sure they'll rob a few ponies too. But I hear about alot of people worrying about the loudness of they're stock pipes alot back home which made me curious. The dealer here has at least three of these things laying around, because people buy the bikes and leave the extra pipes behind in the shipping crate. Half the time the dealer forgets to even mention it (he forgot to tell me I found out lator on). Anyway, I have mine, my friend has his, and I know of at least one more back in the shop, still in its box. I should be able to get all three at least. My buddy said "I don't want that big ass heavy thing" but me, I'm startin' to think about going back for them.

• JPNTHUMP

Posted September 10, 2000 - 01:04 AM

Originally posted by JPNTHUMP:
I don't think there are any specs(decibles), but it's built just like a Suzuki DR pipe. It has a big oval shaped flat canister area that tucks underneith the right side number plate(which comes with it to provide clearance for the pipe). I know that DR's are super quiet, so I'm sure these are comparable. They are on the heavier side though, and I'm sure they'll rob a few ponies too. But I hear about alot of people worrying about the loudness of they're stock pipes alot back home which made me curious. The dealer here has at least three of these things laying around, because people buy the bikes and leave the extra pipes behind in the shipping crate. Half the time the dealer forgets to even mention it (he forgot to tell me I found out lator on). Anyway, I have mine, my friend has his, and I know of at least one more back in the shop, still in its box. I should be able to get all three at least. My buddy said "I don't want that big ass heavy thing" but me, I'm startin' to think about going back for them.

I don't know what they'ed be worth really, well have to wait on the demand level I guess. See if they're any bidders out there willing to make an offer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JPNTHUMP

Posted September 12, 2000 - 02:50 PM

$ 150.00 obo for the NEW pipe and side panel sounds in the ballpark. Plus shipping of course. Anyone want to barter?

[This message has been edited by JPNTHUMP (edited 09-12-2000).]

• daveyg

Posted September 12, 2000 - 07:41 PM

I'll give you 125.00 for the pipe and number plate. I ride in an area where I need the quiter pipe, regardless of weight. Please keep me at the top of your list.

jimg jag21@erols.com

• slimydog

Posted November 12, 2001 - 05:11 PM

is this phantom heavy/quiet pipe US Forestry approved with a spark arrester? If not its not gonna help me much but if it is let me know I am interested!

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 13, 2001 - 02:02 AM

Does it look anything like the WR pipe? I'm wondering if it's basically a WR muffler. That's cool that your bike came with both!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.