XR600 Throttle sticky when engine running

14 replies to this topic
  • tootall

Posted April 29, 2003 - 07:34 AM

My 1995 XR600 has a throttle issue when riding at speed. It feels like its working against an engine vacumn. The cables are lubed and it feels smooth and linear when the engine is not running. How can I cure this? :)

• AzMtnThumper

Posted April 29, 2003 - 07:24 PM

Sounds pretty weird. :) I've had to take my throttle tube off a couple of times and clean it and the bar end, but it felt "sticky" regardless of whether or not the engine was running. Lubed everything back up afterwards and it worked fine. Have you double checked everything on the carb end, the routing of the cable and the spring. Could the screws be loose on top of the slide (connects the slide to that funky linkage)? That end of the cable is a pain in the butt to get together. Does the throttle stick when the bars are turned one way, any kinks in the cable housing? That's about all I can think of. :D :D

• beastmaster

Posted May 02, 2003 - 02:28 AM

:D :) :D
Try lubing the shaft of the the throttle pivot- this can get rusty.
Try lowering the idle
Try putting a return spring from the throttle pivot (on carb) to the petrol tank rear bracket.

• HairyScary

Posted May 12, 2003 - 06:16 PM

This is relatively common. The engine vacuum at low
throttle openings is quite high and sucks the carb slide
against the front side of the carb slide bore. If you
take the slide out and check it and the bore for any
grooves, maladies, etc, clean off any black aluminum
oxide, and then lube the slide and bore with some man
made synthetic lube with e.g. PFTE additives, then the
problem will not be as severe.

• XR650Rrider

Posted May 14, 2003 - 04:05 AM

A buddy of mine had the same problem on his 1996 XR600R. The previous owner actually sold the bike because he thought he needed a new carburetor due to the slide being worn out. Same symptoms, not running throttle moved easily, running the throttle would stick and make it very difficult to ride. Checked cables and lubricated, but problem persisted. The solution was to replace all of the parts in the throttle tube assembly. The following is a list of all the parts including cables, but we didn't replace the cables. The grip assembly includes a factory grip and new throttle tube. You can order these from www.ronayers.com for less than the prices (www.servicehonda.com) shown.

1. 17910-MN1-680 CABLE A, THROTTLE 1 $21.80 $16.19
2. 17920-MN1-671 CABLE B, THROTTLE 1 $18.40 $13.66
12. 53162-MN1-670 SLIDER, THROTTLE 1 $4.98 $3.70
17. 53169-MN1-670 PULLEY, THROTTLE 1 $7.38 $5.48
15. 53167-MN1-670 HOUSING, THROTTLE 1 $15.53 $11.53
16. 53168-MN1-670 HOUSING, THROTTLE 1 $9.95 $7.38
9. 53162-MN1-670 SLIDER, THROTTLE 1 $4.98 $3.70
7. 53140-429-000 GRIP ASSY., THROTTLE 1 $19.45 $14.45

• slepe67

Posted April 16, 2006 - 03:54 PM

Sorry to hijack, but, I'm trying to find parts for a 2000 XR600R in the links you provided, the closest I found was for a 650R. Is it the same part? I tried to SEARCH, here and there, but, no luck. Any help is appreciated. JL

• Jon-D

Posted April 16, 2006 - 05:23 PM

I am having a similar problem with my 93 XR's slide. I put some gasket sealer on the top part of the carb and that helped the problem a little (I think there was some leakage from the top into the carb), but it still sticks when running. so did replacing those parts on your friend's bike really make a difference?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • daddyk

Posted April 16, 2006 - 06:13 PM

This was gone over a little while ago here if this helps http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=354423
I've kinda just been ignoring mine I only really notice it on the street but I've been meaning to get to it. Got distracted working on the suspension

• XR6's_rule

Posted April 17, 2006 - 01:49 AM

All of the single carb '88 model on XR6's had this problem. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do that will completely cure it. Frayed or rusty cables, and the throttle assy being dirty/unlubed inside will magnify the problem, so keep the cables lubed and the throttle assy clean.

If you're feeling wealthy, any of the aftermarket carbys will have a lighter throttle pull. I've tried a Mikuni TM 38mm carb on a stock XR6 and it had a much lighter throttle pull than the stock carb and gave the bike better throttle response, slightly better top-end power and was less prone to flooding.

• creeky

Posted April 17, 2006 - 04:32 AM

I have had the same problem on 2 XR600s and an HRC628 with the stock carb. If you have read thread referred to by daddyk, you already know how I eliminated the problem by going Edelbrock. With the stock carbs, I had some success in reducing the problem by adding a couple of ounces of two stroke oil to each tank of gas. This smoothed out the carb action somewhat, presumably by the slide and carb throat being lubed as the fuel was being sucked in, but still was not a satisfactory fix.

• Jon-D

Posted April 17, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I completely disassembled my carb today and are in the process of polishing the slide and carb. if this does not work, then I will have to spend the big bucks for an aftermarket carb.

• exaresix

Posted April 17, 2006 - 07:55 PM

You can buy a brand new stock carb that will not develop that problem for many years, maybe never if you use a good air filter. The stock carb can be bought brand new for around $275...no fitting issues, no cable issues, and no idle issues.

• tomshell

Posted April 17, 2006 - 08:25 PM

I go my Quick silver Pumper new on ebay for under 400 shipped.....The guy is still on ebay selling them for about the same price.A definate step up from stock....

• rmhrc630

Posted April 17, 2006 - 10:23 PM

aftermarekt is the way to go.

I'm looking at fitting an 41mm FCR carb to my XR628.

easier throttle pull (thus lightening the effort) and much better response are what I'm after.

More snappy power is great for riding offroad. Offers much better control

• Jon-D

Posted April 18, 2006 - 11:16 AM

is the FCR 41 off a KTM?? i was thinking of pulling my KTM carb to see if it will work on the XR...

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.