Dealers are using for the 2010

40 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted December 03, 2009 - 04:22 PM

Why not, with limited production, Dealers are using E-Bay to sell their 2010. Highest and best bidder. E-Bay has 3 already.:banghead:

• smithjeb

Posted December 03, 2009 - 05:43 PM

Ha - there was one up last night $7900 buy it now - shipped to you. I almost bought it - then someone else pulled the trigger. I wanted white anyhow :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2009 - 07:38 PM

Ha - there was one up last night $7900 buy it now - shipped to you. I almost bought it - then someone else pulled the trigger. I wanted white anyhow :banghead:

Keeping in mind that MSRP is $8,090 (White/Red) and $7,990 (Blue), that's a deal.

• thumpinberry

Posted December 03, 2009 - 08:20 PM

i bought the one on ebay for my son,hope he likes it.

• mxmaddman

Posted December 03, 2009 - 08:23 PM

i bought the one on ebay for my son,hope he likes it.

Your a damn good dad...If he doesn't like it im sure anyone else here will call you dad for a 2010 450. HAHA!

• psmith85

Posted December 03, 2009 - 08:57 PM

By the time you add in the shipping costs it may not be much of a savings?

• Etown

Posted December 04, 2009 - 12:48 AM

By the time you add in the shipping costs it may not be much of a savings?

i think in that ebay auction it included shipping. but you would still have to pay tax if you have to register it with the dmv, i think.

still a better price then what i could get in ca though.

• thumpinberry

Posted December 04, 2009 - 04:43 AM

i think in that ebay auction it included shipping. but you would still have to pay tax if you have to register it with the dmv, i think.

still a better price then what i could get in ca though.

it was free shipping,it is for racing i wont register it and i have never paid tax on anything bought on the internet and shipped over state lines.

• Motolizard

Posted December 04, 2009 - 04:48 AM

Heinen's in Osseo Mn has a white one right now I looked at yesterday for $7200 to bad the economy has taken me out of the market cuz thiat thing was sweet.

• twenty34

Posted December 04, 2009 - 05:29 AM

Keeping in mind that MSRP is $8,090 (White/Red) and $7,990 (Blue), that's a deal.

I suppose if you feel that MSRP is a deal. Perhaps in Cali some are conditioned think MSRP is steal, but in many states outside, paying MSRP is a rip-off.

All depends on your perspective.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2009 - 07:14 AM

I suppose if you feel that MSRP is a deal. Perhaps in Cali some are conditioned think MSRP is steal, but in many states outside, paying MSRP is a rip-off.

All depends on your perspective.

Depends on the market in the area, sure. But you know as well as I that especially with a hot new release, dealers base everything on MSRP. If you recall when the '06 came out (also late, wasn't it?) everyone started out at or near the MSRP (about $6.9K) and added tax, fees (a tax in a suit), setup, and even shipping to that, ending up near 8K. 9 months later, I picked up my son's bike for $6500 OTD.

Nothing new here, I don't think. In the big, overall view of things, I don't think paying MSRP+ is a good deal at all, and I've never done it, but right now, for a 2010 YZ450, MSRP out the door, or at your door, in this case, is close to as good as it's going to get for a while yet.

• smithjeb

Posted December 04, 2009 - 07:33 AM

Yep - I have searched all over and called probably close to 20 dealers. If you can find one to your door for $7900 that is a deal right now.

I would have snapped up the one on EBay but figured it is getting cold out and really wanted white. Nevertheless - it was a deal.

If someone knows a place that we can do better............let me know, I am ready to go.

• ProMed

Posted December 04, 2009 - 07:34 AM

If you recall when the '06 came out (also late, wasn't it?) everyone started out at or near the MSRP (about $6.9K)

2010 MSRP - $8,090 (White/Red) and $7,990 (Blue)

Wow, that's a $1,000 MSRP increase (~15%) over the last 4 years.

• l_campionero

Posted December 04, 2009 - 07:44 AM

I think that's against Yamaha's policies for dealers.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2009 - 08:07 AM

I think that's against Yamaha's policies for dealers.

You think what is against Yamaha's policies? A manufacturer cannot dictate just any old thing it likes without getting into price fixing, etc. It cannot even raise the price the dealer pays for subsequent shipments if it is seen as punitive to do so. You pay them for your stock, and follow state and federal laws, and after that, they can only restrict your business activities just so much without getting in trouble.

• twenty34

Posted December 04, 2009 - 08:12 AM

I don't think paying MSRP+ is a good deal at all, and I've never done it

Agreed. We must be from the same mindset as I don't think MSRP is a deal at all and have never done it myself.

This hoopla happens every year to differing degrees, across brands, which is why I look out of state now. Even with paying incoming taxes and reasonable shipping, it's still a better deal. Local dealers have ZERO loyalty to their best customers so it only makes economic sense to go elsewhere.

I don't foresee many of the deposits that are currently attached to many of these bikes (on hold until the bike comes in) actually reaching maturity as most of the kids buying them can't afford it and their credit is so poor or has been cut that a deal isn't gonna happen as hard as they try.

The market with the current prices of bikes seems to be leaning more and more to the Vet population as they tend to have more discretionary income to afford them. I just don't see how kids can buy new bikes. :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2009 - 09:17 AM

I just don't see how kids can buy new bikes. :banghead:

Other than shackling themselves to a loan they can barely afford, I don't either. Cars are even worse.

But, I remember that when I was 22, The brand new BSA B50 MX that I bought was $1250 to me at the dealer where I worked. That sounds cheap these days, but it was still not easy to pay for with the earnings I had at the time, either. Everything but the value of the dollar has gone up, and in many ways, it's still just about how it was in the early '70's. But it does seem that the distance from the lower rungs to the upper middle ones has grown out of proportion somewhat.

My son, at 19, is facing this right now, and I don't envy him in the least. His low salary is somewhat offset by the fact that he doesn't have housing, basic utilities, or most of his own food to worry about, but it's still tough with what everything costs these days.

• twenty34

Posted December 04, 2009 - 12:22 PM

Other than shackling themselves to a loan they can barely afford, I don't either. Cars are even worse.

Absolutely. My father-in-law still finds it vexing that kids can find a way to buy new boats, fancy cars, bikes, etc, yet barely can pay rent or eat.

The CC companies, IMHO, are at the crux of the problem. We need more regulation for who gets cards, how much their limit is, and someone needs to step in and regulate the outrageous fees and finance charges that CC are allowed to impose. Just ridiculous. It's a crime.

Better controls in place would help moderate some of this out of control price inflation that we see from Housing to Bikes....Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but maintaining good credit, low balances and employ don't buy bikes in the first 6-12 month of introduction. Also, I pay cash if at all possible.

Heck, my German cars are worth less than the cost of a new MX bike. We should see the fundamentals of Price Elasticity of Demand starting to work here pretty soon with prices moderating and declining. Patience always pays!

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 04, 2009 - 07:17 PM

it was free shipping,it is for racing i wont register it and i have never paid tax on anything bought on the internet and shipped over state lines.

True but if you use 0% no payments, no interest for 1 year through HSBC, they will track and charge sales tax for whatever state your in.

• smithjeb

Posted December 04, 2009 - 07:24 PM

No they won't :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.