Gearing Anyone try this on a 07+

Seems like i ride with alot of MX bikes and won't be taking advantage of the WR top end speed. Seems like alot of people like 13/52 (4.00 Ratio).

My problem is that sometimes i dual sport and don't want to change the rear sprocket every time i decide to dual sport. So i plan on running 12/48 (4.00 Ratio) which will give me the same effect of 13/52.

By doing it that way it allows me to throw my 13 tooth front sprocket on when i dual sport the bike and need the lower rev at higher speeds. 13/48 (3.69 Gear Ratio). Stock Gearing is 13/50 (3.85 Gear Ratio) and so by going about it this way will allow me to run slightly lower gear ratio and slightly higher gear ratio as needed.

Will the 12 Tooth sprocket wear my swing arm rapidly?

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I ran 12/50 for nearly a season and it wasn't a problem.

The 12/48 might be getting to be a pretty small loop though.

You're bike has hot cam's and an exhaust sytem if I remember right :banghead:

If so the I think 12/48 is going to be too low of gearing for you. I'd recomend going 49 tooth if trying this route. I used to run 13/52 but with the YZ cams and HC piston I've gone 13/51. It just revs out first gear to fast, and there's more torque to run higher gearing.

I ran 12/50 for nearly a season and it wasn't a problem.

The 12/48 might be getting to be a pretty small loop though.

You're bike has hot cam's and an exhaust sytem if I remember right :banghead:

If so the I think 12/48 is going to be too low of gearing for you. I'd recomend going 49 tooth if trying this route. I used to run 13/52 but with the YZ cams and HC piston I've gone 13/51. It just revs out first gear to fast, and there's more torque to run higher gearing.

If 12/48 is too low, 12/49 will be even lower....? did you mean 12/47?

All of this requires a smaller chain or a longer wheel base... chain length starts to limit your flexibility in gear ratios and adding links is usually not an option.

I personally thought the 12/50 set up was too low for Harescrambles, I don't do much MX but I currently run 14/50 and have done a little MX, my clutch feels the effects though :banghead:

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I purchased the bike and it came with a few sprockets.

I have a 48 and 50 tooth rear sprockets to play with. I also have a 12,13 and 14 front sprockets to play with.

Might just fool around with them to get my desired results trying to get the bike to haul like a mx bike. Trying to get the bike to haul like a KTM 525SX out of the corner that bike is like a torque monster. I know there is no replacement for displacement but my cams and exhaust closed the gap alot and i have around 5-10mph on top end i am willing to sacrifice.