Any use an Edelbrock carb???

18 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted December 03, 2009 - 02:21 PM

Was just wondering if anyone has used an Edelbrock on their 450's. Can't find any reviews. More curious than anything.

• William1

Posted December 03, 2009 - 02:31 PM

Few do because of the design of the eddy. The needle in it is a one part adjusts everything. You'd need a gazillion needles to tune it right and have to swap it to make a small change. Whereas a FCR, you change just the poart for the circuit you want to change. Yes, still a lot of parts but say you wanted to change the main or pilot. I could do that on a FCR in under a minute. With the eddy, you have to go through the same ritual as you would with a FCR needle change and that takes about ten minutes.

Carbs like the eddy are better suited to applications where the throttle is not constantly in motion.

• tech24

Posted December 04, 2009 - 06:02 AM

Few do because of the design of the eddy. The needle in it is a one part adjusts everything. You'd need a gazillion needles to tune it right and have to swap it to make a small change. Whereas a FCR, you change just the poart for the circuit you want to change. Yes, still a lot of parts but say you wanted to change the main or pilot. I could do that on a FCR in under a minute. With the eddy, you have to go through the same ritual as you would with a FCR needle change and that takes about ten minutes.

Carbs like the eddy are better suited to applications where the throttle is not constantly in motion.

Interesting, sounds like a pain. I knew the needle was adjustable but didn't realize it was like that....sure is purdy though

• William1

Posted December 04, 2009 - 11:04 AM

Every had a trophy wife? I did. Maint. was a pain along with a lack of flexibility. I always said, "She was a real prize...." Just not woth the trouble. Some of the Honda 650 fellows have found it works well on them but that is about it. The FCR is to bikes as the Weber is to Ferraris. Properly set up, there is no other carb in its' class.

• tech24

Posted December 04, 2009 - 11:32 AM

Every had a trophy wife? I did. Maint. was a pain along with a lack of flexibility. I always said, "She was a real prize...." Just not woth the trouble. Some of the Honda 650 fellows have found it works well on them but that is about it. The FCR is to bikes as the Weber is to Ferraris. Properly set up, there is no other carb in its' class.

LOL...yeah I have and exactly what you said...PITA...kicked her to the curb! I don't want one was just shoppin around and didn't see any reviews, Im guess due to its lack of use. However was contemplating one for the raptor but think I'll save up for the dual fcr kit...one day when engine is maxed to its potential

• ncampion

Posted December 05, 2009 - 08:27 PM

Hate to disagree with William as I generally agree with all his ideas, but after struggling with my FCR and it's two thousand or so different jets etc. I went to and Edelbrock and found it to be the easiest to tune carb I have ever used. Generally you don't have to change needles, just adjust the one that they recommend for your bike. If you go up or down in alltidude, you don't change jets or anything, just adjust the needle a couple of clicks, which you can do in about 10 seconds. It is elegent in it's simplicity and I have converted several of my riding buddies who got tired of cleaning/replacing piloit jets and rebuilding acc. pumps in their FCRs.

• tech24

Posted December 06, 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hate to disagree with William as I generally agree with all his ideas, but after struggling with my FCR and it's two thousand or so different jets etc. I went to and Edelbrock and found it to be the easiest to tune carb I have ever used. Generally you don't have to change needles, just adjust the one that they recommend for your bike. If you go up or down in alltidude, you don't change jets or anything, just adjust the needle a couple of clicks, which you can do in about 10 seconds. It is elegent in it's simplicity and I have converted several of my riding buddies who got tired of cleaning/replacing piloit jets and rebuilding acc. pumps in their FCRs.

Hmmm.... well I was considering one cause im about to throw this FCR against the wall but I now beleive I have a head issue to I may have been blaming the wrong part but may still get one in the future

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 06, 2009 - 06:38 PM

The design of the Edlebrock carb is ingenious, but really not applicable to an offroad motorcycle. It was originally designed to replace stock Harley carbs. Harleys don't really have a wide powerband, so the carb works great for that. I put one on my XR650R and it transformed the bike, BUT it lost top end when jetted (needled?) correctly. The stock carb had much more top end, but was a blubbering mess below half throttle. So it did help. But, one needle to cover all throttle opening sizes is just not going to work. Plus, it does not flow as well as a mukuni 39 or an FCR 39, without being heavily modified.
The REAL problem with the Edlebrock (confirm on the DRZ and XRR forums) is the build quality. It is made of substandard metals, and starts to self destruct in a few years. It just starts to crumble away.

If you read up, you will find that nothing beats the FCR carb for all things, once you jet it correctly. There is no substitute.
But you have to read up and follow someone else's lead, or have lots and lots of free time, or you will go crazy. I should know...

My WR450 runs better than I would have believed possible, and my CRF450X is like a electric motor on turbos.

• ncampion

Posted December 06, 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hmmmm... After five years, the only thing I have replaced on my Edle is a needle and seat. My buddy also replaced an accelator pump that started leaking. I have a Rekluse clutch which requires that the motor be smooth from idle to WOT without any stumbles or flat spots. The Edelbrok has been perfect from top to bottom. If it gives up any top end power, I don't notice it. Just do a search on FCR jetting and you could fill a book on all the different jetting ideas. Every time you change altitude more than a few thousand feet, you need to drop the bowl and change one or more jets. I'm done with that. The FCR carb is way to complex to think that it will work for any length of time. It reminds me of the auto industry, before the advent of EFI with the complicated carbs that they used to try to make the cars run right and keep low emisions. They really couldn't do either. The ultimate answer to the dirt bike fuel distribution issue is EFI with is just about to hit big time. That's what will make me buy a new bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 06, 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hmmmm... After five years, the only thing I have replaced on my Edle is a needle and seat. My buddy also replaced an accelator pump that started leaking. I have a Rekluse clutch which requires that the motor be smooth from idle to WOT without any stumbles or flat spots. The Edelbrok has been perfect from top to bottom. If it gives up any top end power, I don't notice it. Just do a search on FCR jetting and you could fill a book on all the different jetting ideas. Every time you change altitude more than a few thousand feet, you need to drop the bowl and change one or more jets. I'm done with that. The FCR carb is way to complex to think that it will work for any length of time. It reminds me of the auto industry, before the advent of EFI with the complicated carbs that they used to try to make the cars run right and keep low emisions. They really couldn't do either. The ultimate answer to the dirt bike fuel distribution issue is EFI with is just about to hit big time. That's what will make me buy a new bike.

I've never re-jetted either bike, riding from sea level to 4900 ft.

• tech24

Posted December 07, 2009 - 04:44 AM

I couldn't agree more...EFI is for me but I can't afford a new bike just yet....I asked for one for christmas but I won't hold my breath. To be honest with you I can't believe we've being using fuel leakers up til now. If my bike don't ru n right when I get the head back on im playing baseball with my FCR and I might just get an eddy.

• tech24

Posted December 07, 2009 - 11:08 AM

not sure im gonna get one but how hard is it to get replacement seals and parts?

• hdrider1972

Posted January 22, 2010 - 09:02 PM

have a 2005 ltz 400 . the eddie carb worked great for a few rides.. Then i let the quad sit for 6 or 7 months.. now it will not run.. can start it with some carb clean or starting fluid but it stalls as soon as the fumes from either of those are burnt.. what would clog in this carb?? there instruction manula doesnt say much.. also noticed when i open the throttle looking into the carb i dont see the needle moving at all. cant remember what it did before i installed it ,but on other carbs i have or had i know the needle lifted with the slide.. i couldnt even move this needle with a pair of needle nose pliers.. could it be clogged and stuck in the down position?? any help would be appreciated.. bought my nephew a predator 90 and he is out riding while i watch or try follwing him on the rmz 250.. it isnt to fun with snow covered trails..

• SPLATT

Posted January 23, 2010 - 09:39 AM

If you're still interested I have an Edelbrock that I'll sell you.

Steve

• tech24

Posted January 23, 2010 - 10:30 AM

well I might have to take you up on that. I have ordered one from a dude on e-bay, brand new a month ago. He has my money but is giving me the run-around so I don't what the hell is going on. I let you know thanks for the offer.

• valvesrule

Posted January 25, 2010 - 06:23 PM

have a 2005 ltz 400 . the eddie carb worked great for a few rides.. Then i let the quad sit for 6 or 7 months.. now it will not run.. can start it with some carb clean or starting fluid but it stalls as soon as the fumes from either of those are burnt.. what would clog in this carb?? there instruction manula doesnt say much.. also noticed when i open the throttle looking into the carb i dont see the needle moving at all. cant remember what it did before i installed it ,but on other carbs i have or had i know the needle lifted with the slide.. i couldnt even move this needle with a pair of needle nose pliers.. could it be clogged and stuck in the down position?? any help would be appreciated.. bought my nephew a predator 90 and he is out riding while i watch or try follwing him on the rmz 250.. it isnt to fun with snow covered trails..

Most Eddie users have trouble with the float needle sticking eventually. They slide horizontally not vertically like most carbs so gravity doesn't assist their opening/closing. I recently had a brand new one but sold it doubting it could work any better than my 40mm Dellorto pumper or 42 Mik flatslide. The Edelbrock is based on the old Lectron design of the 70s with an accel pump. I've seen a bunch of feedback indicating they don't last as long as other carbs.

• tech24

Posted January 26, 2010 - 05:04 AM

well if I ever get mine I'll find out im just tired of tearing apart the fcr.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted February 02, 2010 - 09:02 PM

Agreed..Mine had a slight hang idle that didnt agree with my auto clutch. but was a major improvement over the bogomatic FCR

• tech24

Posted February 03, 2010 - 04:52 AM

I have mine in hand finally, if I ever get the bike back together I will let you know how it does for me. Sure looks like a quality piece.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.