EKP needle

14 replies to this topic
  • racemile

Posted April 29, 2003 - 04:21 AM

So, I ordered an EVP needle hoping to get and EKP needle, because the fische is wrong, and got an EVP needle.

So I tried it anyway, on position two, a little more crisp midrange. May try the EMP needle next weekend. Any advice?

Racemile

• Wicked_Crash

Posted April 29, 2003 - 04:29 AM

I had the EKP needle in for a while, but with it, my bike kept loading the spark plug to the point of having starting troubles. :) I went back to the EKQ needle and ran that at Kachina and my plug is a nice tan color.

• Wicked_Crash

Posted April 29, 2003 - 04:32 AM

Hey Race, how do you like the YZ timing so far? Does it give you any more low end, or just more of a hit in mid?

• Hick

Posted April 29, 2003 - 04:50 AM

So, I ordered an EVP needle hoping to get and EKP needle, because the fische is wrong, and got an EVP needle.

Well, there's a first time for everything I suppose.

Did you order this PN: 5JG-14916-EP??

And it really has EVP stamped on the part??

Too weird. :)

If it really is an EVP I'm surprised it runs at all, because you are now more than six clip positions leaner than a stock YZF. :D

• racemile

Posted April 29, 2003 - 04:51 AM

I seem to notice more mid than low end but there is more in both areas.

Racemile

• racemile

Posted April 29, 2003 - 05:28 AM

Hick,

Yep, It is stamped ob something then EVP if I remember right. Trust me I was pretty shocked to see the "V" stamped on it also. I gave them the part number you gave me and they said they couldn't find it :)

I am still runnin this with a 162 main, but, I was going to flip back to a 158 main this weekend. Now, I did notice some actual lean pops when I used the hot start to kick it over.

I wonder how this set up would run at altitude? If the pilot and screw control the first third of the throttle, and the needle and clip the second third, and the main the last third......maybe I should leave that 162 main in place.

This could be a real nice setup for high alititude. 8k-11k.

What do you think Hick, Larry, Taffy, jetting gurus extrodinaire?

Racemile

• Hick

Posted April 29, 2003 - 06:30 AM

I gave them the part number you gave me and they said they couldn't find it

Good grief.

I'm stumped. Your bike should run just plain awful with an EVP, even at 8,000 ft. When you wick the throttle it should hack bad enough to spit you over the bars, especially at 5,000 ft.

Too weird.

Do me a favor. Go to your dealer and hit them over the head with a large, blunt object, preferrably their fiche viewer or parts database computer. Then resubmit that PN.

Failing that, find another dealer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racemile

Posted April 29, 2003 - 07:00 AM

Hick,

If you go to the 450 wr/ktm post in the WR forum. You can see that the bike seems to be doing very well.

You know more about this than I do. I have always felt my bike may be a little different but not that much. What are we missing here?

too weird. My original thought was that "My bike doesnt run as well as I think it does" but, the display against my brothers 520 MXC would seem to repudiate that statement.

Let me know if youguys figure out why and how this bike is doing this. I am sure about the "V" stamp though.

I may still have the part number they sent me. I will post it after lunch if I find it.

Racemile

• jwriott

Posted April 29, 2003 - 10:44 AM

What shop in Denver did you get it at? I assume it wasn't Vickery.

• racemile

Posted April 29, 2003 - 10:52 AM

Nope, Grand Prix

Racemile

• Hick

Posted April 29, 2003 - 11:19 AM

If you go to the 450 wr/ktm post in the WR forum. You can see that the bike seems to be doing very well.

Yeah, I saw that, and I'm totally flummoxed by it.

Something as drastic as 5 clip positions ain't gonna require any kind of sensibility to detect, like I said the damn thing should barely run. But you can't argue with the results. If it runs well with an EVP # 2 then by all means go with it. :)

• James_Dean

Posted May 02, 2003 - 10:52 AM

racemile,

You never answered the question. What was the Yamaha part number?

Was the part number
5JG-14916-?
5BE-14916-?
5GS-14916-?

The 5JG will get you EKP, an option from the '00YZ426.

Secondly, are you counting clip positions from the top or bottom? Which position are you running counted from the top?

OBEKP#3 = OBEVP#8

The OBEVP needle is very lean at 1/4 throttle and will need the needle lifted higher by using the lower clip positions #6-8.

James

• racemile

Posted May 02, 2003 - 11:46 AM

James,

You are right! I apologize!! I have been going a little crazy this week. I turn 40 on monday and I just gave notice and start a new job on the 12th

I am very interested in your opinion. I have the clip on position 3 (down from the top). I noticed that wdhile it ran well, it ran a bit hot. It also was getting lean pops when I used the hot start. The bike wouldn't idle with hot start engaged, so I had already decided to go a couple of clips down on the next run. I wasn't to worried because I still have a large main in for this altitude (162).

I will post the part number asap!!

Racemile

• James_Dean

Posted May 02, 2003 - 01:16 PM

I don't know about you, but I'll need some reading glasses soon to see the needle codes anymore.

Recheck the needle code when you have a chance and if it's truly an OBEVP and not OBEKP, try clip position #6 and a main jet of about #160 to balance the taper & clip position. When you ride it, stay over the tank before you open it up. :)

• racemile

Posted May 06, 2003 - 09:13 AM

Finally got the part number off the package!!! I am now 40 officially and start a new job on the 12th!!!

Now I can concentrate on my bike. Part number is!!

5BE-14916-EP

I will pull that needle and look again.

Racemile

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.