toyota expert

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 07, 2000 - 07:44 AM

Are there any Toyota experts out there? I have a 98 tacoma w/ a bad power steering pump. A new pump will cost ~$500 and I cant find any used pumps. A friend of mine has a pump for an 87 pickup. Questions: Is there a difference between pumps for rack and pinion an regular tierod steering? Will this other power steering pump work? Are power steering pumps rebuildable? So far I don't think there is much damage other than bearings.
By the way this does relate to my YZ 400 because this is how I haul it around.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

• MotoGreg

Posted September 07, 2000 - 04:23 PM

What do you mean it's "bad"? I can't remember ever seeing a Toyota PS pump go out. What is it doing or not doing?

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 07, 2000 - 07:01 PM

npuza, I work in parts at a Ford/Toyota dealership, I will check tomorrow and see if they are different, I work in Ford but will check it out for you. Have you talked to your local Toyota dealer, I know we warranty alot of things in Toyota that are out due to mileage etc., I think Toyota calls it their goodwill warranty or something, but it may be worth a try. If nothing else I race with a Toyota master tech that will know what you can do, he works for Toyota not a dealer. I will get back to you tomorrow.

Norman Kissam
Beaumont Tx

• Matt_Porritt

Posted September 07, 2000 - 08:20 PM

Check the relief valve.. some times they get a bit of **** under them or stick open and that'll give you a 'bad' pump.

My brother just rolled Dads 2.8l Diesel Hilux.. there may be a pump there!! :)

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 08, 2000 - 03:14 AM

Thanks for all the help. I talked to my dealer they said it would only be covered under bumper to bumper warranty. I am way past that. What is wrong with it? At first the pump was making a humming sound, then started making a grinding noise. The ps fluid smell burnt. Steering is a little on the hard side. The steering wheel return coming out of a corner is slow, sometimes I have to manually turn back. Could this be a rack and pinion problem.
Matt, Relief valve? A little more explanation please.

Thanks
Nick

• Matt_Porritt

Posted September 08, 2000 - 12:45 PM

When you turn your steering full lock one way you can hear a noise when it hits the stops.
This noise is the relief valve.. basically leaking pressure thats getting pumped but not used beacuse the wheel is hardlock.

If they get stuck open then the steering will get heavier, and you'll possibly get a smell due to the pump cycling all the time.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 08, 2000 - 06:45 PM

Toyota does offer a seal kit but not really a rebuild kit, the pump off of the older one is different so I dont think it will work. The seal kit was about 50 bucks, I needed more info to price the pump or to get into more detail, let me know if I can help.

Norman Kissam
Beaumont Tx

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 12, 2000 - 12:30 PM

xrman,

Could you price a pump for me? Its a 98 toyota tacoma 4 cyl 2.7 litter 4 wheel drive. If you need more info you can email me @
npuza@hotmail.com

Thank You
Nick

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.