New head or motor?

10 replies to this topic
  • mxmaddman

Posted December 02, 2009 - 06:33 AM

Does anyone know anywhere i might find a low hour motor or head for my 07? I was going to rebuild it, but the price out weighs the value at this point. Its cheaper to probably just buy a used motor. Its for an 07. I'm looking to spend about $1200.
The complete rebuild would cost about $1500 since it needs a head..

• mxmaddman

Posted December 02, 2009 - 06:36 AM

Will an 08 motor work fine in a 07? Are the cdi and carbs setup the same?

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2009 - 07:29 AM

Will an 08 motor work fine in a 07? Are the cdi and carbs setup the same?

eBay, Craigslist, the usual. '06-'09 will directly interchange.

• Geoffit

Posted December 02, 2009 - 09:45 AM

just asking because the 450's are normally pretty much bullet proof in the head area, what broke to cause the need for a new head?

• mxmaddman

Posted December 02, 2009 - 01:08 PM

The PO beat the piss out of it. No maintenance policy, proceeded to take it through a water crossing or mud hole and then decided it would be a good idea to burn the rest of the back tire off to clean the water out of the motor. The rear tire is gone literally burnt off on pavement. The problem that caused the catastrophic failure was its timing chain. It was the weakest link in the equation. Its hard to say if it was because of the shitty oil and high rpms or if the chain was kinked and binding to begin with. This bike is an abnormal scenario, but i have seen a handful of these chain issues on well maintained bikes. They are bullet proof and in fact if the timing chain replacement was part of the scheduled maintenance I dont think you would ever see them grenading.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jffsnlsn

Posted December 02, 2009 - 02:10 PM

The PO beat the piss out of it. No maintenance policy, proceeded to take it through a water crossing or mud hole and then decided it would be a good idea to burn the rest of the back tire off to clean the water out of the motor. The rear tire is gone literally burnt off on pavement.

just 1 step away for child abuse :banghead:

• yamadog48

Posted December 02, 2009 - 05:45 PM

i replace my cam chain every 6 months just as cheap preventive maintenance

• mx730md

Posted December 12, 2009 - 11:05 AM

did you end buying a motor?

if not what all do you need to rebuild? just a complete head , piston and crank?

• davecampbell

Posted December 12, 2009 - 05:01 PM

The PO beat the piss out of it. No maintenance policy, proceeded to take it through a water crossing or mud hole and then decided it would be a good idea to burn the rest of the back tire off to clean the water out of the motor. The rear tire is gone literally burnt off on pavement. The problem that caused the catastrophic failure was its timing chain. It was the weakest link in the equation. Its hard to say if it was because of the shitty oil and high rpms or if the chain was kinked and binding to begin with. This bike is an abnormal scenario, but i have seen a handful of these chain issues on well maintained bikes. They are bullet proof and in fact if the timing chain replacement was part of the scheduled maintenance I dont think you would ever see them grenading.

We are rebuilding a basket case we bought caused by a cam seizing in the head triggering timing chain failure. Engine dynamics is repairing it for us reasonably.

• mxmaddman

Posted December 12, 2009 - 08:11 PM

Hey guys thanks for the help. I found one on Craigslist for $1500 drove out and picked it up today for $1200. Its a cherry too. 2008 and clean as a whistle, came with all the cdi wires and coil.. Its never seen a race, (supposedly)backyard ridden, valves all in spec. The exhaust port is hardly carbon charred. The only problem is the black paint is scuffed off the side covers a little. Its getting a timing chain and that's it for now.

Anyone ever try to powder coat them black?

• FinchFan194

Posted December 12, 2009 - 09:00 PM

doesn't matter what you put on them it will rub off. You best bet would be to strip them bare then there is nothing to rub off!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.