"converting my 07 wr450 to yzf"

20 replies to this topic
  • mutiny_bmx

Posted December 01, 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hey guys. I just signed up, but ive been reading on here for a while. I tried the search and couldnt find the exact info i need. First off, im not asking if i should do this. I've made up my mind, im not concerned about re sale value and i dont have the time to sell my bike and get a yzf. 95 percent of my riding has been in the desert with my wr, its a great bike but i want to shave some weight and i dont care for the elect. start or headlight. I was wondering if its possible to just hook up a yzf CDI box and wiring harness? I plan on getting some suspension work done and getting a yzf airbox. i already have the 19inch back wheel. I pretty much just want a bike i can ride in the desert and take to the track when i want. Any help would be greatly appreciated :banghead:

• RSAthump

Posted December 02, 2009 - 05:14 AM

hi

1.Why would you want a 19' wheel for the desert? you will get less flat tyres with an 18'
2.All you need to do to get your WR sorted for track is the suspension.
Get some YZ forks and a rear shock.
3.If you are gonna ride in the desert, I suggest the WRs gearing will be better.
and it has an overflow bottle.

To shave weight you can remove the battery and other bits, if its performance you are after, the 450 has enough of it, do the grey wire mod, the throttle stop and then you will be ok, if you really want to you can put on a performance pipe, but seriously the 450 has more than enough power. you dont need to use the YZ CDI

Most guys here in South Africa, convert the YZ's to Wr's for offroad racing, becuase modifying the YZ gearbox to a WR's is cheaper than changing the suspension on the WR.

suspension is your answer, not airboxes, and cdi's. its suspension and weight shaving.

• mutiny_bmx

Posted December 02, 2009 - 11:32 AM

1. Im running a 110 90 19 and so far my luck has been great with no flats. even with the 18 i got more flats.
2. Im gonna do the suspension, and the reason i want to get rid of the wr wiring harness is cuz its almost like a damn car wiring harness lol. Ive searched on ebay and that would be a very cheap upgrade for me if it would work?
3. I love the gearing, but im sure ill go up 2-3 teeth on the back sprocket when i make it to a track. Im removing the overflow.
Its not really power im looking for, i did all the free mods when i got the bike. as far as power goes im just gonna get a quick shot and Dr D system.

Oh, and is the speedo. something i can remove without any modifying?

hi

1.Why would you want a 19' wheel for the desert? you will get less flat tyres with an 18'
2.All you need to do to get your WR sorted for track is the suspension.
Get some YZ forks and a rear shock.
3.If you are gonna ride in the desert, I suggest the WRs gearing will be better.
and it has an overflow bottle.

To shave weight you can remove the battery and other bits, if its performance you are after, the 450 has enough of it, do the grey wire mod, the throttle stop and then you will be ok, if you really want to you can put on a performance pipe, but seriously the 450 has more than enough power. you dont need to use the YZ CDI

Most guys here in South Africa, convert the YZ's to Wr's for offroad racing, becuase modifying the YZ gearbox to a WR's is cheaper than changing the suspension on the WR.

suspension is your answer, not airboxes, and cdi's. its suspension and weight shaving.

• RSAthump

Posted December 02, 2009 - 12:29 PM

Hi yes the speedo you can ditch, is the harness to save weight?

• mutiny_bmx

Posted December 02, 2009 - 07:34 PM

Hi yes the speedo you can ditch, is the harness to save weight?

Not really to save weight, but to clean it up a bit since there will be no headlight or elct start

• woods-rider

Posted December 02, 2009 - 08:53 PM

You WILL get more flats with the 19" rear guaranteed. YZ suspension is verry stiff for trail riding IMO. I had a YZ450 before my WR450 and I am much faster on the WR on trails and it is less work and not nearly as rough. I would agree though, I would like a little more power out of the WR. I have done all the "free" mods and modified the pipe which did quite a bit but still doesnt compare to my brothers MXC450 or my friends TE450 (I still like the WR better overall though). You dont need to get a YZ airbox. if you are taking out the battery just unbolt the snorkle/battery tray from the top of the box and it's pretty much the same thing. I honestly think it will take more time and money to convert it to a YZ than to sell the WR and buy a YZ.

• ASternad

Posted December 02, 2009 - 09:55 PM

CDI's are different (YZ - WR). Try Dynatek or Vortex for adjustable maps. I have a Dynatek and haven't made it pass the 1st map, cause I like it.
YZ Header for more power everywhere and 09 muff from a YZ will help loose weight, or a MX Lexx (Rocky Mountain).

• mutiny_bmx

Posted December 02, 2009 - 11:32 PM

CDI's are different (YZ - WR). Try Dynatek or Vortex for adjustable maps. I have a Dynatek and haven't made it pass the 1st map, cause I like it.
YZ Header for more power everywhere and 09 muff from a YZ will help loose weight, or a MX Lexx (Rocky Mountain).

So the yzf CDI wont work with the yzf wiring harness and diferent jetting?

• ASternad

Posted December 03, 2009 - 05:13 AM

My Bad, I didn't see you were going to swap the harness too.
I can't comment on that. Although it seems that you would want to focus on getting more YZ performance IE: Cams, Header, Weight Loss, Flywheel Mass & Suspension

• desdave

Posted December 03, 2009 - 07:29 AM

Wouldn't it be be easier/cheaper to sell your WR and by a YZ? My son has an 08 YZ450, and I bought an 08 WR at the same time. They feel like completely different bikes. Besides weight, his has more hp and is snappier, and suspension (at least the forks) are a completely different, more modern internal design. We ride desert exclusively, and he is very very fast, and is quite happy with the stock gearing. My top speed on a dry lake is maybe 5mph higher, but in real world riding, you are very very seldom truly tapped out. Having said all that, for me personally I really like the WR and my 58yr old right leg loves the button. By the,way, you can get some killer deals on left over 09s, we have a couple of friends who recently got 09s for far less than my son paid for his 08 (all bought at OTD cycle sales in L.A.)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desdave

Posted December 03, 2009 - 07:33 AM

More on the suspension question. My 08 WR was scary soft stock, and definitely not raceable in the desert. My sons YZ stock was almost to stiff and harsh for off road for my taste, not quite so much for my son iwho is much faster/more aggressive than I am. We both had ESP make the changes we were looking for and now we are both happy boys.

• mutiny_bmx

Posted December 03, 2009 - 10:58 AM

My Bad, I didn't see you were going to swap the harness too.
I can't comment on that. Although it seems that you would want to focus on getting more YZ performance IE: Cams, Header, Weight Loss, Flywheel Mass & Suspension

I plan on getting exhaust and saving weight. My bike is tore down right now so im trying to do what i can with the money i have. When january comes around it will be time for the exhaust system and suspension. 5th gear is just a little long and the bike doesnt even have the power to pull it to the rev limiter. Hopefully with the exhaust and lower gearing it will redline under 90. i went 96 downhill on the pavement with a tail wind lol. (i know these speedos arent very accurate)

• Lennie

Posted December 04, 2009 - 12:34 AM

More on the suspension question. My 08 WR was scary soft stock, and definitely not raceable in the desert. My sons YZ stock was almost to stiff and harsh for off road for my taste, not quite so much for my son iwho is much faster/more aggressive than I am. We both had ESP make the changes we were looking for and now we are both happy boys.

What are the shocks like now they have been modified? Which is best or does it not matter if the insides have been changed.

• mutiny_bmx

Posted December 05, 2009 - 03:18 AM

What are the shocks like now they have been modified? Which is best or does it not matter if the insides have been changed.

Good question haha

• desdave

Posted December 05, 2009 - 10:24 PM

Typically the WR has the previous version of the YZ suspension, with softer springing and valving. Why Yamaha thinks such soft settings are what buyers want I can't figure out. For off road it's more than fine once valved/sprung for your weight, skill etc. The YZ is specialized for track work, big jump landings etc. Stiffer springs and valving. Not ideal for off road unless you are really fast and agressive. Both will work great when properly set up. My son's YZ is still a little less compliant than I prefer, but he is very happy, as am I with my WR after ESP set it up. There are lots of places that can do the work though.

• mikeythefokker

Posted December 10, 2009 - 08:14 PM

The wr is cammed to make more low end power, and the yz is cammed to really rev out. The ideal high speed desert setup would be yz cams and the wr trans. Also, there is a guy in the SF bay area named Dave who runs a suspension company called Smartperformanceinc. I did his phase 4 revalve kit on my 07 wr450 forks and they are great. I was initially considering trying to track down yz450 forks to work with, but after speaking with Dave decided not to. He said that the KYB open bath style forks, like those found on the wr from 06 on, can actually be made better FOR OFFROAD than the SSS stuff on the yz's. Give him a look when you go to get your suspension done. He does great work, and his prices are really really good. Not kidding about that, it was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. I have been messing with my porky wr450 lately trying to shave some weight off of it, and I think that I might just get a second bike for racing and save myself the aggravation. That green sticker is worth its weight in gold though here in Ca, so keep the wr. Good luck. I'm curious about how much it will weigh when you are all done.

• RSAthump

Posted December 13, 2009 - 09:08 AM

A YZ with WR gearing is the solution for racing, add the overflow bottle, a long range tank and you are set... The Yamaha factory guys here in South Africa run YZ250f's Yz250 2t's and Yz450f's with WR gearing in our enduro and offroad national championships, we have a Yamaha dealer here that converts for you, if someone in the states will do the same, they could make some good money...

Kyle Redmond (USA)and Rory Mead (NZ) recently raced with bikes prepped in this way at the roof of africa extreme enduro event.

:banghead:

• Justin Pearson

Posted January 06, 2010 - 12:16 PM

I've made up my mind, im not concerned about re sale value :moon:

We might be able to help eachother out. I have an 06 YZ450F and am considering putting the WR crank/stator/flywheel/CDI/harness, etc. in it for lighting.

What condition is your bike in (in regards to these items)?

• myoung

Posted January 06, 2010 - 06:45 PM

I read somewhere the WR CDI runs on DC power and the YZ is AC. This would be a problem if you changed the CDI and not the stator. And then I don't know if you can put a YZ stator in without changing the same parts the guys are that are putting the WR parts on their YZ's for lights. Seems like a lot of trouble and money for little gain. If you go that route, just take up the last poster on his offer.

• Justin Pearson

Posted January 07, 2010 - 08:58 AM

The WR CDI is the biggest reason im hesitant right now as im concerned with how "tame" it will be compaired to the YZ CDI, since im already adding a lot of flywheel mass as well...:moon:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.