Creased head pipe

7 replies to this topic
  • ubu

Posted December 01, 2009 - 07:48 PM

I went down on the right side a couple weeks ago and I think this is the result. At the time, I thought I just dented the pipe guard. I noticed this crease when I was changing the oil before a ride Sunday. Maybe it's in my head, but the bike feels a little sluggish:excuseme: Think it will come out with freezing water? I also want to add that I need to get a spark arrestor soon. I was planning on going with a DRD endcap to save money, but now I'm wondering if I should just get a full system. The bike is an 08 450.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 01, 2009 - 08:47 PM

I had an 08 and the best mod I did was put on a DR D pipe. IMO I would replace with a new ti ti DR D. It does have a screen in it when you buy it.

• ubu

Posted December 01, 2009 - 08:58 PM

I had an 08 and the best mod I did was put on a DR D pipe. IMO I would replace with a new ti ti DR D. It does have a screen in it when you buy it.

I can't help but think I now have a really good excuse to buy a DRD system and get it by the wife:busted: Probably gonna have to wait 'til after Christmas, though.
Will it hurt the motor riding it like that?

• KJ790

Posted December 01, 2009 - 10:01 PM

Freezing it will most likely not work, that only works for dents, and mostly just nice round ones at that. You can send it to piperepair.com, they do great work for a good price.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • saccityfire

Posted December 01, 2009 - 10:20 PM

MRD 96db procomp stainless full system with spark arrester is 1.5 lbs heavier than stock and way more powerful. $479 to my door directly from the MRD website. I couldn't be happier.

I'm getting the Smartperformance Del Taco rebuild for my forks and shock for Christmas to go with all my new found power ($420).

That's $900 well spent!

Good luck whatever you do.

• mxmaddman

Posted December 02, 2009 - 06:29 AM

Freeze/thaw it about 6 times. It will take back its normal shape. I have repaired worse by freezing them.

• ubu

Posted December 02, 2009 - 08:44 PM

It's in the freezer now. I'm going to try freezing it a few times to see if it pops out. I still want to get a DRD for next Spring. If freezing works, at least I can save the stock system just in case.

• mjw1

Posted December 03, 2009 - 09:00 PM

I have fixed my head pipes in the past buy pluging both ends of the pipes and putting a air fitting on one side and putting about 20-40 psi in depending on how bad the pipe is bent and heating the crease or dent with a torch until it gets straight but dont heat it up to much or you will put a hole in the pipe.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.