95 VS. 95 OCTANE

8 replies to this topic
  • ART

Posted September 07, 2000 - 06:58 AM

Just picked-up a '00 426. The manual says to run 95 research octane fuel. Is 92 pump gas OK or do I need to mix race fuel and pump gas? Is anyone out there running straight pump gas? Any problems with it?

[This message has been edited by ART (edited 09-07-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 07, 2000 - 09:57 PM

I'm running pump gas with no problems. I never realized you supposed to run Race gas only! I sometimes will run a 50/50 mix of race gas and pump gas but usually only pump gas, it's cheaper.

Roostn in Denver

• oldxmxer

Posted September 07, 2000 - 10:13 AM

Originally posted by ART:
Just picked-up a '00 426. The manual says to run 95 research octane fuel. Is 92 pump gas OK or do I need to mix race fuel and pump gas? Is anyone out there running straight pump gas? Any problems with it?

[This message has been edited by ART (edited 09-07-2000).]

Just run pump gas premium

• YZ426_Kicks

Posted September 07, 2000 - 04:59 PM

Hey Art!

I go to the local Sunoco, and get 94 Premium and add octane booster to bring it up to around 98. Its the only way I can get it up over 95. I haven't experienced any problems doing this. My bike didn't like 93 or 92...

Another Yamaha quirk?

Randy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smitty33

Posted September 08, 2000 - 08:08 AM

What are the signs of not running high enough octane?
i run reg pump gas and here in canada
the norm is 91-92.
i have had my 00 426 for about 2 months
and seems ok.
thx

------------------
Keep your stick on the ice!
www.fbd.ns.ca

• holeshot

Posted September 08, 2000 - 10:46 AM

There are those who would steadfastly claim that the 95 octane number in the 426 manual is tied to a European rating system, which would make it equivalent to about 89 octane by Western standards. I haven't been able to verify this info (when I ask where this information comes from, I never get a straight answer).
I use 92 octane pump gas in my 426 without problem. I've used VP-C12, both straight and 50-50 with pump gas, and couldn't see the difference. Just my 1.5 cents worth.

• MotoGreg

Posted September 08, 2000 - 04:57 PM

Try this

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

• holeshot

Posted September 12, 2000 - 10:27 AM

Thanks Motogreg:

The link about octane was very informative. The subject has been discussed further at the link below -
http://dirtrider.net...TML/000971.html

• uplate

Posted September 15, 2000 - 10:24 PM

Hey Holeshot; I was once told about the octane rating. Now if I haven't forgoten, there are two methods used to determine the octane of fuel. The research method involves algebra, trigonometry and calculus. Just kidding but is is done mathematically. The other method and the term has excaped me, involves more of an actual driving test using an engine designed to get all that pinging and knocking at a certain octane. Usually what we see at the pump is a combination of the two. Research+test /2. I can't tell the difference in the way my 98 400 runs on either but I do know from many years of mx experience with the powervalves on two strokes that the long term effects of carbon deposits from the 7 octane unleaded swamp water at the local gas station is Ugly. For a couple dollars a ride, only race gas in my baby!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.