Name that clutch plate...

10 replies to this topic
  • uberfraznb

Posted December 01, 2009 - 10:27 AM

This clutch plate is out of a '99 YZ400 that I bought used. Wondering if anyone knows what they are. The owners manual is showing a symmetrical plate with no cut-out, so I am guessing they aren't stock. What is the orientation of the plates supposed to be? The cut-outs were all facing the same direction...

• uberfraznb

Posted December 01, 2009 - 10:30 AM

Here is the picture of the plate.

Posted Image

• uberfraznb

Posted December 03, 2009 - 10:10 AM

Anyone?

• diegox450

Posted December 03, 2009 - 10:15 AM

It isn't stock. Stock ones are symmetrical as you said. Very strange!

sorry I couldn´t help!!

• diegox450

Posted December 03, 2009 - 10:21 AM

Found this

"...The metal plates are made from stamped steel and sometimes display a very slight asymmetry, i.e., the outside of each plate may have a slight flange resulting in a rounded side and a sharp side. Put the metal plates back in the same way that the old ones came out with one proviso – if the metal plates are asymmetric they should all face the same way. Which way doesn’t particularly matter as long as they are all the same...."

In this link http://www.motorcycl....com/clutch.htm

I'll keep researching, if I find anything I'll post it...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted December 03, 2009 - 10:25 AM

had a 99 and had to do a clutch on it... they did not look like that from what i remember... it has been a while...

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2009 - 10:46 AM

I have occasionally seen plates like that, but I would advise you to replace them with a new set. Those may well be from some earlier model, and are not the ones that belong in your bike.

• uberfraznb

Posted December 04, 2009 - 10:35 AM

I have occasionally seen plates like that, but I would advise you to replace them with a new set. Those may well be from some earlier model, and are not the ones that belong in your bike.

I checked the Yamaha website and they are not from an earlier 4-stroke (98). I would like to continue using them, as they were working good, I just would like to know what they are how they are to be installed (orientation of the cutouts).

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2009 - 11:06 AM

I wouldn't use them. But, if I did, I would stack them so that every second plate was 180 degrees opposite the one that preceded it. The next plate could be anywhere as long as the one that followed it was opposed to that one.

Remember that the clutch ends up spinning at up to 4000 RPM. You don't want to encourage an imbalanced condition.

• usp4u

Posted December 04, 2009 - 12:35 PM

wow, I wouldn't use that in my tractor.

• uberfraznb

Posted December 07, 2009 - 08:00 AM

I wouldn't use them. But, if I did, I would stack them so that every second plate was 180 degrees opposite the one that preceded it. The next plate could be anywhere as long as the one that followed it was opposed to that one.

Remember that the clutch ends up spinning at up to 4000 RPM. You don't want to encourage an imbalanced condition.

Yeah, that method seems like it makes the most sense. I have no idea why they would have all been lined up when I took them out. At least alternating them 180° the imbalance will be kept to a minimum.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.