Whats it worth???? Plated WR450F

16 replies to this topic
  • ZTUNAMANN

Posted November 30, 2009 - 06:50 PM

I have a lightly ridden (maybe 5x) 2009 WR450F with Baja Designs kit and CALIFORNIA PLATED!!!!!!!

Need to sell due to lack of work so......what is a good asking price? I got about $9,000 into it.

Thanks!

PS: Anyone hiring? =)~

• biggziff

Posted November 30, 2009 - 07:25 PM

check completed auctions on ebay....true market value on actual sales.

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 30, 2009 - 07:33 PM

The Californian that knows he wants a CA plated WR knows that the bike is worth a lot....

$9k? I don't know, you have you have to take some depreciation off the top but to the person that wants one it's going to cross their mind.

Good luck, sorry you have to sell knowing that you probably went through a lot to get it plated.

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 30, 2009 - 08:34 PM

The person who buys it should know the plate could be pulled tommorow or maybe never so how much extra is it really worth? '09 WR's are selling new in CA for about $6700 otd and identical leftover '08's are going for $6000 otd so the $9k figure is pretty much off the chart. For that money you can get a new KTM that is guaranteed legal. My guess you might get $6k but I doubt much more. Then again you never know????

• Parx_400

Posted November 30, 2009 - 09:36 PM

A year or so I found a dealer that was selling brand new WR450's with the dualsport kit installed plated in CA. They wanted about 9K OTD. I could see where he came up with the number.

I got a 05 that was CA plated this year for 3700. It was not cared for.

• Chas_M

Posted November 30, 2009 - 10:27 PM

A year or so I found a dealer that was selling brand new WR450's with the dualsport kit installed plated in CA. They wanted about 9K OTD. I could see where he came up with the number.

There have been several CA dealers that have been socked with big fines recently for being caught doing this.

• RR@ARS

Posted December 01, 2009 - 07:41 AM

I recently bought a slightly used (300 miles) 2009 WR450F for $4,700 with a couple of extras. The bike was near showroom condition. I've heard a valid CA plate adds about $1K to the value of a used bike. The dilema is how "valid" the CA plate is. Like a previous post said, the buyer could get the plate pulled. Personally, I would buy one without the plate and plate it out of state and save some $$$$$. The thought of giving more of my money to the gluttonous state of CA makes me ill.

• Parx_400

Posted December 01, 2009 - 12:47 PM

I recently bought a slightly used (300 miles) 2009 WR450F for $4,700 with a couple of extras. The bike was near showroom condition. I've heard a valid CA plate adds about $1K to the value of a used bike. The dilema is how "valid" the CA plate is. Like a previous post said, the buyer could get the plate pulled. Personally, I would buy one without the plate and plate it out of state and save some $$$$$. The thought of giving more of my money to the gluttonous state of CA makes me ill.

I hear you brother. I'm ready to burn it all down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted December 01, 2009 - 02:58 PM

I hear you brother. I'm ready to burn it all down.

You won't have to. The legislature's doing a pretty good job of that on their own!

Edited by PBDBLUE, December 01, 2009 - 05:32 PM.

• ZTUNAMANN

Posted December 01, 2009 - 03:10 PM

Thanks guys! I wasn't saying I wanted $9k for it...just that is the amount I have into it. I was thinking more like $6,500 or so but wanted to see what you experts all thought. Thanks a bunch!!!

• Bandit9

Posted December 03, 2009 - 06:21 PM

If this helps any, I just bought a plated 06WR450 with less than 30hrs on it for $3800. However, I drove 978 miles each way to pick it up. The ONLY reason was b/c it was plated. The plate does add value, sort of like buying a house with a nice shop in the back. The shop really doesn't add any value, but it will sure help sell the house if that shop is something the buyer see's value in.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 03, 2009 - 08:41 PM

If this helps any, I just bought a plated 06WR450 with less than 30hrs on it for $3800. However, I drove 978 miles each way to pick it up. The ONLY reason was b/c it was plated. The plate does add value, sort of like buying a house with a nice shop in the back. The shop really doesn't add any value, but it will sure help sell the house if that shop is something the buyer see's value in.

Back in Feb this year I paid $5500 for an 07', it was plated in another state and the title was not branded so I knew I could get a home state plate for it..(I did). I drove about 450 mi each way to pick it up but the bike literally had 2 hrs. on it. I already an 07' but could not get it plated so all my hard parts transferred over to the new bike and the new (2hr old) plastics went on the old bike which I sold for $4500. It was worth every red cent and mile driven as it is just as difficult in WA as it is in CA to plate it.

If I had the money and was in CA, AND the bike is low hours... I would consider $7k pretty hard. I can't stand the thought of riding a KTM or Husky... looking hard at those new Husaberg's I have ridden the 450 and 390 and they are nice bikes but a hell of a lot more than $7k too!

I even crossed the state line for a good shape TTR125LE, brought it back, plated and BD kit... I actually ride alot now with my girlfriend which is like having my cake and eating it to:thumbsup:

• ZTUNAMANN

Posted December 06, 2009 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for all the input!!! Think I'll put it up for $6,900 after the first of the year. I have a 2009 FZ1 with 40 miles that needs to go first!

Zimm

• Dee Perry

Posted December 08, 2009 - 10:21 AM

Zimm, Sorry for your situation. Been There Done That!!!!!! Born and raised in Cali. Spent most of my life riding Cali. I got my first bike at 12 years old, and to show you how old I am, we used to be able to ride minutes from our house. I still love the state but can NOT stand the BS and over-regulation. Finally threw in the towel, cashed out and blew off the state I love. Now, ALL my bikes, street and dirt are plated, I once again ride minutes from my house. It blows my mind to walk into DMV once a year to registar all the toys and be the only person in there. I am not trying to rant, I just remember the good old days. What kind of work are you looking for. I know lots of people. Like I said, Been Around.

Good luck,

Dee

• snaggletooth

Posted December 11, 2009 - 10:54 AM

I have an 07 that I pushed through the cracks my self when it was brand new. I have had the bike for about three years now and have gotten over the "they will take your plate away" banter. My plated WR is a golden ride for me and will never leave the stable, no matter how much $$ is offered. I say this because I would never try flirting with the CA DMV on a post 2004 plated bike again, unless the price was very right.

If I were looking for a modern post 2004 plated bike, I wouldn't be willing to spend more than what I would have to pay for a completely leagal used factory plated KTM of the same year. The bike would also have to be something I could live with if the plate was denied or later revoked by DMV. In other words, I would consider any money spent over the fare used market value as gambling money that I may loose.

I have been to Vegas a fews times so gambilng is not strange to me. I would gamble several hundred over the normal used price for the plate but I wouldn't get carried way.

You should do very well with your plated 09 WR. How about putting up a little insurance with a possible buyer. Say, finalize the sale together at the DMV office. If he walks way with a plated 09 WR in his name you get top dollor for the bike. Next years registraition will be all on him. That sounds fair to me. It will also keep you from getting crap from a guy calling you back several moths after the sale crying, "I just paid $$$ for your bike and now the DMV will not issue me street registration."

BTW, I just picked up a mint pre-2004 plated KLX300 for my Son for $1,400. SWEEEEEET! Good luck, S/T.

• Audible

Posted December 11, 2009 - 11:45 AM

I've got $500 if you really need the cash.....:banghead:

• broccoli2

Posted December 11, 2009 - 08:13 PM

I've got $500 if you really need the cash.....:banghead:

A little rude don't you think!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.