Taffy..where did you put the zerk

1 reply to this topic
  • James_in_New_Mexico

Posted April 02, 2001 - 03:55 AM

Taffy,

I seen the post you made about a zerk installed on the swingarm. Where did you put it? And how is it holding up?

James

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted April 02, 2001 - 12:16 PM

Hi James

i started the bike on saturday but it wouldn't engage a gear so i took it back to the mechanic an hour ago & will collect on thursday. just the clutch so no probs i think.

i'm MX'ing on saturday. were easing some of the rules for F & M over here. so no results yet. BTW the only result i'm interested in is over one season & i don't suppose you want to wait that long for the SP (starting price to you guv).

anyway, your question.

i had the hole shebang apart & found that the little rollers on the SA pivot are seperated by about 20mm. there are 2 on each side of the engine so to speak. so i drilled down from above the SA & fitted a zerk on each side. you'll need to blow/clean the swarf away here.

where to drill?

look carefully & yamaha kindly left us all little 5mm squared 'plateau's'on top. on the right side i drilled on the back edge so as to keep the zerk away from the kickstart housing. on this side i put in a 135d zerk pointing back through the frame of the bike. the left side one is just 1mm from the chain slider! very proffesional!

as you know the 'bowed crank' has a bolt that has a hole down the middle. this can be seen from the RHS of the bike. there is another one under the little plastic caps that sit in the SA. i 'drill cleaned' the holes.

i tapped the hole, then drilled a hole into the bolt from the side at it's middle. my drill bits protested (3 of the little bleeders!) so i ground down a ditch & then drilled the bottom of the ditch. went like a knife through butter. the bolts both go through two top hat spacers each.

i drilled the hole that's already there out to 4mm on both. so that was them done.

that leaves the 'E' arm to the frame. i drilled this in the middle around near the front side & put another 135d zerk in.

that's it really. it was quite easy really. changing the bearings was the bitch.

dont laugh, but i drilled my rear brake arm & the kickstart & did the same.

the RB went very well. i filed a flat face at what i would describe as the upper back face (10 o' clock).

the kickstart is a balls-up. i did the drilling slap bang in the middle top & the nipple scrapes the frame! oh well!

Taffy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.