08 WR450F Newbie first ride impressions

13 replies to this topic
  • the_smoo

Posted November 28, 2009 - 01:31 PM

Hi all,

Used this board a heap when trying to decide what bike to buy. Over the years I have been on and off dirt/trail bikes, have never raced, and would class myself as a novice rider at best. At 36 years of age, I have started my mid life crisis early and am getting back into the sport. Im 5 foot 11, and around 190 pounds.

I bought the WR450F, as I wanted a bike that I could rely on, and also ride with my son who is just starting out (TTR-50). Dont plan on competing in ANYTHING, just love to squirt around on tracks.

My most recent bikes were a 1991 KLR250, and 1991 KX250, both of which were in great condition. The KLR was ok as a daily rider, but lacked power, and the KX250 has plenty of zip, but largely uncontrollable and kept me busy making my ride less enjoyable.

The WR is still corked, and I plan to keep it that way and uncork as I get more comortable. I had my first quick ride today and I am all smiles. Granted it was just around the house a few times, but what grabbed me instantly was how easy the bike is to ride. The seat is a bit hard for my liking, but other than that everything else seems seems cherry.

If you are lurking on TT reading up about the WR, then stop reading and go get one..!

also now looking for riding buddies in Northen Virginia:ride:

• rkwfxd1

Posted November 28, 2009 - 01:59 PM

Go uncork it now. The uncorked power is no more difficult to manage than the corked power. There is no sudden spike or jump in power, it is all very smooth. While you are uncorking it, re-jet it so that it will run cooler while putting with your son. Mine ran hot on the first ride, coolant filled half of the overflow tank and I could hear it boiling in the radiator. After the uncork and re-jet it doesn't over heat at all riding with the boys, alone or with my kids.

I love this bike.

• JM450

Posted November 28, 2009 - 08:22 PM

Congrats on the new bike. I got back into dirt biking at 40, best thing I could have done, except for the money part. "Too many bikes in 10 years" Just bought a wr 450 myself and have about 20 hours on it and I just love it. The knock on this bike seems to be soft front suspension, mine works good for the woods so far but when I took it to the desert last year it was not up to the task. I also uncorked it right away and it didn't turn it into some uncontrolable beast ,it is smooth. But you will know when you need more power. Have fun

• Bushdog

Posted November 29, 2009 - 03:01 AM

i jaut bought one a couple of weeks ago, 08 model - all free mods done what a beast! fast, realiable, weapon - shame i hit a cement pole today hidden in the bush and ripped my radiator off! ha!

• fribergs

Posted November 29, 2009 - 01:17 PM

I was worried about radiators, as they cost $350 online with OEM parts dealers. Since I discovered many brand new radiator vendors on ebay selling them for your bike, for $65 or so.

• SXP

Posted November 29, 2009 - 01:33 PM

I was worried about radiators, as they cost $350 online with OEM parts dealers. Since I discovered many brand new radiator vendors on ebay selling them for your bike, for $65 or so.

Got a link? I've got a pretty badly tweaked set of rads on the bike, and while they don't leak, I'd like to have a spare set laying around, especially at the price you mentioned.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 29, 2009 - 01:41 PM

Go uncork it now. The uncorked power is no more difficult to manage than the corked power. There is no sudden spike or jump in power, it is all very smooth. While you are uncorking it, re-jet it so that it will run cooler while putting with your son. Mine ran hot on the first ride, coolant filled half of the overflow tank and I could hear it boiling in the radiator. After the uncork and re-jet it doesn't over heat at all riding with the boys, alone or with my kids.

I love this bike.

DO NOT uncork it now. Take your time, get comfortable and move at your own pace. You have Feeling comfortable is one of the keys to staying safe.

You'll know when you are ready for more. Besides, I am sure that riding with your son is a whole lot more fun than ripping it up on a 450. You don't need huge power and rpms to keep up with a ttr50.

Definitely fix your jetting though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bushdog

Posted November 30, 2009 - 01:42 AM

i am getting my radiator fixed at a bike shop - dont know about you but im not trusting $65 radiators from china on my $10000 bike! - worth the risk of failure, i think not

• rkwfxd1

Posted December 01, 2009 - 07:25 AM

DO NOT uncork it now. Take your time, get comfortable and move at your own pace. You have Feeling comfortable is one of the keys to staying safe.

You'll know when you are ready for more. Besides, I am sure that riding with your son is a whole lot more fun than ripping it up on a 450. You don't need huge power and rpms to keep up with a ttr50.

Definitely fix your jetting though.

Totally disagree. The power is very controlable uncorked and MOST IMPORTANTLY the bike runs MUCH cooler at the slower speeds most folks ride with their kids. And if you are going to tear into it to re-jet you might as well put the YZ throttle stop in while you are at it. If you don't want full throttle, don't twist the grip all the way.

But that is just my $0.02

• Kirkster

Posted December 01, 2009 - 08:15 AM

I did one ride on my 07 corked.

I went home and immediately uncorked it.

I did not change the exhaust. But I did get the Pro Moto Billet insert for the exhaust
http://shop.thumpert...mb_wrinsert.htm

I also got a JD jet kit and went with the 45 / 168 jet combo, and have yet to have to touch it again. Runs much cooler and no bog anywhere.

I next cut the throttle stop screw to YZ length

I did the grey wire mod.

Took out the snorkel on the air box. Once you do this hot glue a piece a bit of a scotch bright pad over the two holes on the sides of the airbox to keep water and other crap out of the airbox.

I left the AIS installed as I never felt the need to get rid of it.

Other than bike armor I have not done anything else but a Rekluse Pro.

The bike is great, very dependable and totally manageable on the power side of the house.

Do the free mods and the pro moto insert and you will be a happy man.

• RSAthump

Posted December 02, 2009 - 06:24 AM

should one cover those holes? I often get water in my airbox when im washing her down...?

• YamaLink

Posted December 02, 2009 - 07:40 AM

Congrats!
Uncork it, jet it and set sag/fine tune suspension.
Take your time to learn your new bike, and not only will you be smoother but hopefully the crashes will be minimized thus the likes of the radiator replacements will be too.

• the_smoo

Posted December 02, 2009 - 06:29 PM

I guess originally I was concerned about stepping up to one of the big 4 strokes. The advantage of the WR was that after reading posts on this forum, you get the idea that the bike was pretty tame due to the restrictions.

For me, this was a selling point, as I can now grow into it :banghead:

• fribergs

Posted January 06, 2010 - 07:51 PM

I missed this message earlier, so I apoligize for the delay. The radiators on EBAY are not made in china. In fact, several manufacturers are in USA. I have bought several, for both yz250 and yz450, and they are nicer then the OEMs. Why should we pay $350 for something that is sold for under $100, and promises cooling of 40 percent or more?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.