newbie tire question

6 replies to this topic
  • drwest7117

Posted November 28, 2009 - 09:31 AM

hey folks. newbie to the site.

I just picked up a 01 wr426f that is in dire need of tires. At risk of asking a stupid question, would it be a really wacked idea to put on some decent enduro type tires as opposed to an aggressive knobby? I intend to only use this beast for trail riding on some of our local mountain passes. I am an 48 year old fart, so my days of aggressive riding are long gone.

Any tire suggestions out there? many thanks!

• byggd

Posted November 28, 2009 - 07:11 PM

I'm a 48 year young fart too. Unless you plan on riding pavement go with a knobby. Even a mild hill climb will be easier to tame. You don't need to ride aggressively to appreciate traction!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 28, 2009 - 07:36 PM

Dunlop makes a great DOT knobbie called the 606. Get a 120/100 for the rear and you will be fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted November 28, 2009 - 11:19 PM

For the kind of riding you are talking about, my vote is for a trials tire - Pirelli MT-43 (it's DOT legal) and has traction galore in every kind of condition I've used them in. Haven't ridden in any wet, snotty stuff though....so YMMV.

They also last about twice as long as a knobby.

Edited by SXP, November 29, 2009 - 01:26 PM.

• drwest7117

Posted November 29, 2009 - 07:25 AM

many thanks for the replies. I like the idea about the Pirelli trials tire. The plan is to hit Engineer Pass in CO in the spring, and a trials set up sounds like the ticket.

• SXP

Posted November 29, 2009 - 08:57 AM

many thanks for the replies. I like the idea about the Pirelli trials tire. The plan is to hit Engineer Pass in CO in the spring, and a trials set up sounds like the ticket.

Best price I've found is here: http://www.motorcycl...-Rear-Tire.aspx

Buy two and shipping is free - you won't regret it. Also, use ultra heavy duty tubes (Bridgestone is one option) as you will be running them at about 8 psi or lower for best performance.

Edited by SXP, November 29, 2009 - 01:26 PM.

• fribergs

Posted November 29, 2009 - 01:12 PM

I have a Yamaha Wr450f and have tried several tires. It came with a dunlop knobby, and that was fine. I installed an IRC trials tire, and it was amazing. I ride in Co in the mountains and Rampart Range. Great traction. Good for street, if you inflate the tire, as you ride with a low pressure 10-15 pounds in the trails. Since then I got a new bike, and I am back to the knobby. It is good, and gives you more spin. Trials tires last long, give great traction, but limit spin and roosting. Also creat a little softer ride due to the low pressure

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.