keihin pwk 36 vs 38

22 replies to this topic
  • jimbo1143

Posted January 04, 2010 - 06:29 PM

I didn't realize you had another carb that you could switch with, I'm guessing the tops will interchange. Let us know what you find out. :moon:

Ok, so I tried the 36pwk. The carbs are identical from the 36pwk short body to the 38pwk short body. I was able to use the cable & top off of the kx125 carb so with that delima over I took off the fuel cut off silenoid & realized something, with the silenoid unplugged the tapered end remains up so in simple terms the boost port silenoid remains open all the time. So when the RPM's increase more fuel is being drawn in through a hole in the fuel bowl & up along the side of the carb & turns 90 degrees & through a tube in the intake bell opening where the beveled tube connected to the boost port is. I noticed that from 1/8 throttle on the jetting seemed to remain rich no matter how I leaned out the needle clip & main jet circuit. So I plugged the whole boost port circuit with Jb weld & took off the bowl & plugged up the hole in it too. Now after doing that I put the nj back in the middle clip & put the 168 mj back in & now im able to adjust my carb settings with more positive results. Also I took the throttle position sensor off & plugged that hole so now I have room to be able to loosen up both clamps & turn the carb to change jet's or change needle clip settings. End result, It ***'n rips ass!!! Better than the 38pwk even,not that it's a bad carb but it's definitely a serious woods weapon now. If you look @ the carbs on the ktm's pwk's the boost port castings are there but no holes or silenoid or tp sensor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • market

Posted January 05, 2010 - 01:11 PM

Finally i bought a 36 pwk long body.......the ''problem'' is that the carb is 1cm longer than the mikuni....if someone mounts a long body keihin.....is that a problem?

• hallsy

Posted January 05, 2010 - 05:40 PM

Ok, so I tried the 36pwk. The carbs are identical from the 36pwk short body to the 38pwk short body. I was able to use the cable & top off of the kx125 carb

Did the cable fit the Honda throttle? or did you have to use a Kawasaki throttle?

with that delima over I took off the fuel cut off silenoid & realized something, with the silenoid unplugged the tapered end remains up so in simple terms the boost port silenoid remains open all the time. So when the RPM's increase more fuel is being drawn in through a hole in the fuel bowl & up along the side of the carb & turns 90 degrees & through a tube in the intake bell opening where the beveled tube connected to the boost port is. I noticed that from 1/8 throttle on the jetting seemed to remain rich no matter how I leaned out the needle clip & main jet circuit. So I plugged the whole boost port circuit with Jb weld & took off the bowl & plugged up the hole in it too. Now after doing that I put the nj back in the middle clip & put the 168 mj back in & now im able to adjust my carb settings with more positive results.

That "boost port circuit" is the power jet circuit. The power jet is replaceable and screws into the bottom of the carb/bowl mating surface, directly below the solenoid. You can plug the circuit by replacing the power jet with a small allen head set screw that has the same diameter and thread as the screws that retain the bowl. You might want to keep an eye on the JB weld, we had some trouble with gas disolving it once.:moon:

End result, It ***'n rips ass!!! Better than the 38pwk even,not that it's a bad carb but it's definitely a serious woods weapon now. If you look @ the carbs on the ktm's pwk's the boost port castings are there but no holes or silenoid or tp sensor.

Sounds like your happy with it. Can you post your jetting specs? Main, pilot, needle#, clip position, and slide #? Did you use the slide from the YZ or the KX? Did you notice the difference between the two?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1983 cr250r resto thread by Brendantherider

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies
Forums
Photo

CR 250 Talon hubs/ wheels? by sandy450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Restoration CR125 2003 - From Chile by McGrau

• Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

Cr125 weird rolling noises and will not start! by Chowda5

• 11 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.