YZ426- replace rings after 5 races?

7 replies to this topic
  • MikeOK

Posted September 04, 2000 - 11:31 AM

Hello group, I have (another) question for you. The book says to replace the rings after 5 races. I've owned mine for about 3 months now and after a 3-day race thing here in OK I realized I now have 7 races on this thing. I know the book is usually overprotective but I thought I'd ask your opinions. I was hoping to get through the fall moto's and do the rings this winter but that may put 10-12 races on it before I got it done. I change the oil after every race and follow the book schedule on everything alse for the most part, but this seems excessive to me. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Mike

• MotoGreg

Posted September 04, 2000 - 03:36 PM

I ride my 400 twice a week since 3/99 and I've never even changed the spark plug let alone rings. Still runs like new, doesn't use a drop of oil.

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity
'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)
I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

• So_Cal_Erik

Posted September 04, 2000 - 06:29 PM

Your book must have a type-o in it. You might want to change the rings after 5 years, not 5 races. :)
Erik

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 05, 2000 - 05:33 PM

Hope not or mine is ready for the junk pile!!
That cant be right.

Norman K.
Beaumont Tx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeOK

Posted September 06, 2000 - 05:00 PM

Am I the only one who reads the book? Look at yours, it's no typo.

Mike

• JK

Posted September 06, 2000 - 05:21 PM

You can replace the rings if you want to or you can continue to ride. There are some signs that would indicate a need to replace the rings. Loss of compression, exhaust smoke,or some other indication that there is a need for repair.... There must be some reason other than mabee it should be done after a certain length of time or wear. If you made a living riding the bike, there would be every reason to stay on the recommended program of replacement.However, for the average joe, ride onward thru the fog.

• MotoGreg

Posted September 06, 2000 - 06:57 PM

Am I the only one who reads the book?

No, we all read it. Only the rest of us just kind of chuckled when we saw that part.

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

• uplate

Posted September 15, 2000 - 11:09 PM

Originally posted by MotoGreg:
I ride my 400 twice a week since 3/99 and I've never even changed the spark plug let alone rings. Still runs like new, doesn't use a drop of oil.

Do you have two different foto albums? One is three bucks and the other is 75.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.