Do you guys...

7 replies to this topic
  • Fabulous

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:13 AM

...put a teaspoon of motor oil through the spark plug hole when storing your bike for the winter? I've done an oil change, cleaned the filter, and put gas stabilizer in it. I never did this with my old 2 stroke, but went out once a week and turned it over gently with my hand...and never had any problems. Is it bad if I don't?

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:16 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=851654

• Fabulous

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:24 AM

I've done most of this, except completly fill up the oil, and put oil in the cylinder. Like I said, I go out to my garage at least once a week, and turn the bike over by hand to make sure everything isn't locked up, and to get engine oil on parts. I'm pretty sure the clutch and other parts get oil on them, and half of them aren't just sitting dry. Is it imperative to put the oil in the cylinder? If yes, then no problem, I'll do it...

• Fabulous

Posted November 26, 2009 - 03:26 PM

...anyone...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • l_campionero

Posted November 26, 2009 - 03:35 PM

If winter is not excessively long, such as more than three months like here in the Midwest, you shouldn't have to do much but wash and dry it, lube the chain and all pivot points, cover or plug the end of the exhaust pipe, and drain the tank and float bowl. Keep it indoors if possible to avoid rust and corrosion.
Up there in Canada where you have nine months of winter and three months of bad sleddin', you might want to use Sta-Bil in the carb.
I would definitely turn it over once every couple, three weeks.
Good luck!:excuseme:

• Troutman

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:02 PM

I just go into the garage and start it two or three times a month and let it run a couple of minutes during the winter. Not sure if this is a preferred method but I have not had a problem yet.

• coreyl

Posted December 30, 2009 - 09:05 PM

just start it every once and a while and you will be fine

• husqy360

Posted December 30, 2009 - 09:17 PM

my bike is inside the garage (-15) outside is about -30(-22 Fahrenheit) at the moment. :moon:
you guys think its good idea to start the beast at -20?

oh ya i didnt installed the block heater yet.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.