Are there any Wheelly Experts out there ?

11 replies to this topic
  • 426_Monster

Posted September 04, 2000 - 04:31 AM

Hi there gents
Anybody with a fiew tips . To do and not to do!

• Matt_Porritt

Posted September 05, 2000 - 12:48 AM

Mate... if you can't wheelie one of Yamahas beast then its time to turn in you riding boots! :D :D

Open the gas and the front comes up... thats it.. easy as pie! :)

Oh yeah.. do a few while practicing bringing the front down with the rear brake.
The practice will come in handy for when you get cockey! :D :D

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 05, 2000 - 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Matt Porritt:
Mate... if you can't wheelie one of Yamahas beast then its time to turn in you riding boots! :D :D

Open the gas and the front comes up... thats it.. easy as pie! :)

Oh yeah.. do a few while practicing bringing the front down with the rear brake.
The practice will come in handy for when you get cockey! :D :D

• Tim

Posted September 05, 2000 - 05:54 AM

Just a couple of pointers. This would work on the street, dirt or anything else you can get the front wheel up on...........

a) Get some speed up before attempting a long wheelie. The rotating motion of the front wheel will act like a gyro and help make it easier to balance.

:D I prefer 3rd or 4th gear for a long wheelie. The engine is less jumpy to small thottle responses in these gears. You could practice in 5th, but harder to bring it back up if the front wheel starts falling.

c) Start with power wheelies then move to balance point wheelies. There is a point when the front wheel "wants" to stay up, before you get to that point you will have a hard time keeping it up..... :D

d) Listen to the last post about keeping your right foot over the back brake until you get it down. As you probably know, these bikes act really quick to throttle, if you slip and grab more than you need at the wrong moment, you will mess up you and possibly your bike. Plan on a back fender and a set of handle bars every time you mess up. :)

Have fun and ride safe!!
Tim

• 426_Monster

Posted September 05, 2000 - 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Tim:
Just a couple of pointers. This would work on the street, dirt or anything else you can get the front wheel up on...........

a) Get some speed up before attempting a long wheelie. The rotating motion of the front wheel will act like a gyro and help make it easier to balance.

:D I prefer 3rd or 4th gear for a long wheelie. The engine is less jumpy to small thottle responses in these gears. You could practice in 5th, but harder to bring it back up if the front wheel starts falling.

c) Start with power wheelies then move to balance point wheelies. There is a point when the front wheel "wants" to stay up, before you get to that point you will have a hard time keeping it up..... :D

d) Listen to the last post about keeping your right foot over the back brake until you get it down. As you probably know, these bikes act really quick to throttle, if you slip and grab more than you need at the wrong moment, you will mess up you and possibly your bike. Plan on a back fender and a set of handle bars every time you mess up. :)

Have fun and ride safe!!
Tim

Thanks for the advise Tim I have been riding Two-Smokes for some time. Lifting the front on them was also easy. I was looking for tips on wich gear ect. Lifting the 426 is easy but keeping it there was more difficult.(hell I got a beating from Matt but I guess I opened myself to it for not asking the question better. I also found out that the sprocketing was to heavy(previous owner did long top end runs) but it will be changed before the weekend. I am positive this will solf the probleme. I have only been on two rides but I am sure there will be a view proper whiellys this week end. The bike is about 5 months old and I think the engine is a bit noisey.Got a tip to check the clucth in one of the other responses
Speek to you soon
Greetings
Dreyer

• Matt_Porritt

Posted September 06, 2000 - 12:28 AM

Originally posted by 426 Monster:
hell I got a beating from Matt but I guess I opened myself to it for not asking the question better.

Hey..was all in funs name! :)

Seriously if the gearing was tall then you will have a few probs.. the lower the gearing the more toque you have going to the rear wheel faster.. (easier to get front up)
As the boys have said, a higher gear is less touchy with the throttle.
BTW the rear brake is something to master before the balance point! :D

Standup wheelies are the best fun!!

ENJOY! :D :D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

[This message has been edited by Matt Porritt (edited 09-06-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426_Monster

Posted September 06, 2000 - 05:05 AM

Hey nice pics Matt. I just got the new sprocets today. I will def. fit them tonight for our weekend ride. Cant wait, i am sure there will be a big differense.
Who got premoted back to his bicycle?

• Matt_Porritt

Posted September 06, 2000 - 02:28 PM

Yeah.. the bike is me also..
I won't say premoted though! more like demoted! :)
Doing a little play riding at lunch time! :D

I find stand up wheelies at speed are the easyiest.. just stand up.. lean back and open the throttle.. also looks cool when you blow past the boys standing on the pegs with the front lofted!. :D

Standups are also good to master when you have to wheelie through something like a puddle or a branch like in the bottom photo.

Did I mention they look cool!! :D :D

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

• 426_Monster

Posted September 06, 2000 - 09:05 PM

Sounds like a plan to me. Will give you feedback on Monday after our Sunday ride. We normally do about 120km on a Sunday.Sorry no idea what that is in miles,Think its about 190.Unfortunitaly I havent got a digital kamera other wise I could have send lekker Pics. I am going to Vegas Nevada in Oct. Hopefully there will be a place to rent a dirt bike (no two-smokes)cause I'd love to have a ride in another Country.
Cant think the lads at Virgin or BA will be to impressed if I strap the "beast" in right next to me.

Later!!!!

(luckely I can afford a bike and dont have to practise on a bicycle!!!!!!)

Greeting from SA
Dreyer

• 426_Monster

Posted September 28, 2000 - 03:28 AM

Originally posted by Matt Porritt:
Yeah.. the bike is me also..
I won't say premoted though! more like demoted! :)
Doing a little play riding at lunch time! :D

I find stand up wheelies at speed are the easyiest.. just stand up.. lean back and open the throttle.. also looks cool when you blow past the boys standing on the pegs with the front lofted!. :D

Standups are also good to master when you have to wheelie through something like a puddle or a branch like in the bottom photo.

Did I mention they look cool!! :D :D

Hi Matt
Probleme solfed. I had to replace the conrod, bearings and cranck pin,also counter balancer bearings. Plenty of power now, its actually qiute difficult to keep the front down now.Enjoying every munite of it
Theers
Dreyer
(Keep it stiff and straight)

• CrazyRonny

Posted September 30, 2000 - 08:22 PM

[This message has been edited by CrazyRonny (edited 10-01-2000).]

• CrazyRonny

Posted September 30, 2000 - 08:24 PM

Originally posted by 426 Monster:
Hi there gents
Anybody with a fiew tips . To do and not to do!

Hello "426 monster"

Doing wheelie with this bike is very easy, in fact I find not doing it was more difficult. :)

The 426 was my first motocross, and I have no problem doing whellie, I like doing it so much that I learn doing wheelie before I was able to turn it corectly, not very wise I have to admit... :D

I prefer starting a wheelie in second or tird gear, in the first gear the front end lift to fast some time..... And the advantage of the 426 is the compression of the engine, I'm not very good for controling the brake and I have to admit the compression save my "but" a couple of time.

http://www.iquebec.c.../YZ426F(wheelie)

Keep practicing :D

CrazyRonny

[This message has been edited by CrazyRonny (edited 10-01-2000).]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.