"Looky" what I brought home today!

73 replies to this topic
  • AZcrRider

Posted November 30, 2009 - 06:46 PM

After all that R&D $$$ the YZ450F rides like a YZ250 but doesn't start nearly as easy!:banghead:

Hey, I am a 2 stroke fan too. But I will tell you, it starts easy enough. The first 4 kicks, when cold are needed, I am told, but I am not a recent 4 stroke rider, and it always started for me on the first or second kick.

It is fuel injected. Don't touch the gas - Stick to the routine. It seems harder to stall in a corner, but that is just my impression. I never killed it where I might have stalled my 07 450.

If you are a 4 stroke rider, I don't think you will find it anymore tempermental than any other 4 stroke. If you are a 2 stroke rider going to a '10 YZ450, you might be in for a shock.

It is alot faster than a YZ250 and turns better. That is just my opinion, but I have ridden both. That should be worth some R&D $.

I will always ride 2 strokes, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

• nickeenoo

Posted November 30, 2009 - 07:43 PM

Doesn't this sentence contradict itself? I've never walked into a dealer yet that didn't start REALLY high. It's as if they all go to the same sales training and assume nobody has done any homework.

No, it doesn't really contradict itself. I have a local dealer that would screw his own grandma for a five cent gain and another local dealer that often sells stuff cheaper than I can buy online. I buy a lot of stuff from the good dealer and absolutely NOTHING from the bad one.

Edited by nickeenoo, November 30, 2009 - 09:01 PM.

• BBrown626

Posted November 30, 2009 - 08:03 PM

Hey, I am a 2 stroke fan too. But I will tell you, it starts easy enough. The first 4 kicks, when cold are needed, I am told, but I am not a recent 4 stroke rider, and it always started for me on the first or second kick.

It is fuel injected. Don't touch the gas - Stick to the routine. It seems harder to stall in a corner, but that is just my impression. I never killed it where I might have stalled my 07 450.

If you are a 4 stroke rider, I don't think you will find it anymore tempermental than any other 4 stroke. If you are a 2 stroke rider going to a '10 YZ450, you might be in for a shock.

It is alot faster than a YZ250 and turns better. That is just my opinion, but I have ridden both. That should be worth some R&D $.

I will always ride 2 strokes, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

Faster? It is the rider. I have a 450F, 250F and 250. I'd love a 450 that has smoother power and handles like my 250. I'll believe it when I ride it or when they start passing me at the races.

• redf150flames

Posted November 30, 2009 - 08:24 PM

let us know how it runs ASAP!!!!

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 01, 2009 - 06:51 AM

No, it doesn't really contradict itself. I have a local dealer that would screw his own grandma for a five cent gain and another local dealer that often sells stuff cheaper than I can buy online. I buy a lot of stuff from the good dealer and absolutely NOTHING from the bad one.

Same here! I buy form my friend that owns the Yamaha shop. He sells to me just what he can get one for. On the other hand they is this dealership about 45 mins away that sell all dirt and street bike makes and they jack the price up all they can. I stay away from them

• jeffboyd47m

Posted December 01, 2009 - 09:28 AM

While at they track on sunday the bike was tipped over in a left hand rutted turn. Very simple and dumb tip over and it cracked the plastic and bent the radiator pretty bad.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I bumped the bottom outside corner of the radiator tank with the palm of my hand in an attempt to bend it back forward, and the shroud broke in half.

Posted Image

I think the plastic is way to thin and investing in some good radiator braces is a must. The plastic piece is 24.00 from the dealer and the tuning fork emblem is 18.00. I didn't order the tuning fork, just the plastic.
I also have the GYTR tuner but have not adjusted anything yet untill I feel I understand it more. It does have some nice features like keeping track of runing time and engine temps.
JB

• aedwards07

Posted December 01, 2009 - 10:28 AM

I see your in utah.The plastic is fairly brittle in the cold weather I would imagine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted December 01, 2009 - 01:54 PM

How did you get by putting this bike together yourself? I thought the shop where you bought it from had to put it together from out of the crate?

The shop has liabilities about this I believe cause if somthing happens wouldnt it fall on the owner of the shop?

Not that it doesnt matter but just wanted to know. BTW sorry about the rad and plastic. Look on the bright side........atleast you are closer to myler's rad shop than me if a leak had came up.

• mxengineer4

Posted December 01, 2009 - 06:39 PM

Mxengineer4 -- How does the YZF compare to your Husaberg? I am curious about how Yamaha's approach to mass centralization compares with Husaberg's.

I think the Husaberg's layout is more centralized with the crankshaft basically at the center of gravity of the bike but the Yamaha starts out about 15lbs lighter. I think the new Yamaha has a light and agile steering feel and changes directions very easily. Mass centralization is a good thing for making heavier bikes "feel" more agile. Makes me wonder how agile a really light bike with a "mass centralized" engine layout would feel.......

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2009 - 08:59 PM

I think the Husaberg's layout is more centralized with the crankshaft basically at the center of gravity of the bike but the Yamaha starts out about 15lbs lighter. I think the new Yamaha has a light and agile steering feel and changes directions very easily. Mass centralization is a good thing for making heavier bikes "feel" more agile. Makes me wonder how agile a really light bike with a "mass centralized" engine layout would feel.......

While the fact that the Husaberg's crank is farther rearward is nice, my sense is that it's too high, and may well sit above the bike's longitudinal roll center (pitch center). It certainly raises the CG vertically, it would seem to me. It'd be interesting to actually test for that.

For those wanting to understand how mass centralization affects the total mass, try this: Take an egg carton and put eight eggs in it. Distribute them as evenly along both sides and the entire length as you can. Pick the carton up and feel the weight. Now turn in various directions and feel that.

Now rearrange the eggs so that they are all as close to the center as possible. Note that while it feels no lighter to pick up, it feels much "lighter" to maneuver it.

• mxboy2661

Posted December 05, 2009 - 12:39 PM

dude keep us updated what did u puy? im soprised they let u take it home in the crate!

• Luv2crash

Posted December 05, 2009 - 02:30 PM

That illustration was eggcellent:thumbsup:

• coreyl

Posted December 30, 2009 - 08:48 PM

how did you get to take it home in the crate

• mediumfast

Posted December 30, 2009 - 09:22 PM

most dealers won't sell bikes in the crate. i bought an 06 crf450 this way and the dealer had me pick it up at night and promise to go straight home. there's a liability issue i guess. if nothing else these pics let consumers know exactly what those "assembly" charges are about.....putting on the bars, front wheel, and number plate.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.