"Looky" what I brought home today!

73 replies to this topic
  • l_campionero

Posted November 26, 2009 - 02:05 PM

....They are making money my friend, and a pretty good margin even at MSRP OTD.

MSRP is about %17 over dealer's cost....that's not much 'margin'.

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2009 - 04:37 PM

MSRP is about %17 over dealer's cost....

A, 17% is huge, but remember that it isn't the complete net profit story on a business-wide basis. B, "dealer's cost" is something you don't truly have access to unless you work in the accounting office. Dealer invoice price IS NOT what the bike costs. There are a number of other allowances made that reduce the actual cost to well below that figure in most cases, and the true cost will vary considerably from one dealer to another as a result of those allowances, making blanket statements like that impossible.

• l_campionero

Posted November 26, 2009 - 05:32 PM

I know....I have worked at various dealers for a total of over 12 years. Try to run any business with a profit margin of only %17. It won't last long. Thankfully, the parts departments usually maintain a margin of %40-%50, or the whole shop would cave in.

• DPW

Posted November 26, 2009 - 06:14 PM

congrats on the new bike! ride report!

• mxracer206

Posted November 26, 2009 - 06:43 PM

congrats on the new bike! ride report!

Same here, sorry I stirred the pot. Let us know how you like your new bike.

• Wes Woodin

Posted November 26, 2009 - 07:00 PM

So what did you pay out the door? My dealer said he would charge me $8500 out the door but will give me a rebate from Yamaha for $200. which Yamaha will send me a check. Net $8300. Is this a good price or do you think they will come down.

• rickallen124

Posted November 26, 2009 - 07:45 PM

Is this $200 rebate from Yamaha a well known fact? I haven't seen any customer cash deals on the '10.

• Wes Woodin

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:13 PM

Is this $200 rebate from Yamaha a well known fact? I haven't seen any customer cash deals on the '10.

He told me that is was a certificate that I go online and print out, fill out and mail in. Yamaha will send me a check directly to me in two weeks. That is what I was told. I still don't want to pay more than $8000 otd including tax. I belive in this economy, they won't be flying off the showroom floors. It's still over $8K for a dirtbike. Any feedback on this?

• Michigantrailrider

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:25 PM

Great looking bike! I'm green with envy. My local dealer isn't even on the list to receive any 2010 450s.

• aedwards07

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:45 PM

Honda east toledo has a very good price on 2010 yz450s.It ends up being under MSRP out the door.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCPH

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:57 PM

It still amazes me how anyone thinks dealers make bank on bikes or much of anything. Once you take away, rent/mortgage, payroll, and all utilities, they make crap !

I cannot wait for the day, where all the dealers/stores, in almost all aspects of retail are gone, and your forced to deal with online only and the lack of any personal store front businesses.

It will be a day not far from now, when I can personaly say :excuseme: great job, a**hats !

Great looking bike !

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2009 - 10:32 PM

I know....I have worked at various dealers for a total of over 12 years. Try to run any business with a profit margin of only %17. It won't last long. Thankfully, the parts departments usually maintain a margin of %40-%50, or the whole shop would cave in.

Total net profit is the key to the matter. Your remark about the parts department fails to take into account any of the expenses, such as salaries and shipping costs, incurred by that segment of the business.

Insurance companies operate at about 2% profit, oil companies, roughly 3-5%. ANY net profit will keep a business running, and any small business that NETS 5% or better is doing fine, thanks.

• WILLIAMS37

Posted November 27, 2009 - 01:02 AM

Honda east toledo has a very good price on 2010 yz450s.It ends up being under MSRP out the door.

They sold two so far is what I heard. They didn't have a date on when they'll get another one in. I want to see one so bad lol.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 27, 2009 - 10:42 AM

I cannot wait for the day, where all the dealers/stores, in almost all aspects of retail are gone, and your forced to deal with online only and the lack of any personal store front businesses.

me too because in todays world, it simply makes no sense to keep buying bikes from dealers....online will make competition so much better for all buyers. And don't get me started on authorized dealer repair...that is the biggest scam. :excuseme:

• ProMed

Posted November 27, 2009 - 12:54 PM

It still amazes me how anyone thinks dealers make bank on bikes or much of anything. Once you take away, rent/mortgage, payroll, and all utilities, they make crap !

It will be a day not far from now, when I can personaly say :excuseme: great job, a**hats !

I would love to be able to buy new bikes online and am looking forward to the day that I can. Does that random dealership in Montana have a great price on the bike you want? Buy it and have it shipped. No BS.

Arai tried sticking to the local dealer only concept longer than any other helmet manufacturer. Now that have finally folded you have hundreds of dealers competing for your business instead of 1 or 2, which equal lowers prices and greater selection.

• Darrell41653

Posted November 27, 2009 - 01:31 PM

There is so little money to be made on mx bikes that some dealers do not even order them. I have never been charged shipping but considering the equipment (fork lift at least) and most times a full time employee and warehouse space needed I hardly think it is a scam. A lot of dealers folded up last year so it would not be a bad idea to support your favorite one next year. So many people use the internet now for accessories seems like they should be able to make a little on the bikes huh.

Yeah, a local Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer around here just folded. They were in business for over twenty years. I got my first bike, a Kawasaki KD 80, from them. :excuseme:

• twenty34

Posted November 27, 2009 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, a local Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer around here just folded. They were in business for over twenty years. I got my first bike, a Kawasaki KD 80, from them. :bonk:

Not getting 50%+ profit on bikes isn't why they folded. :excuseme:

Businesses fail everyday, BTW, not just motorcycle dealers - a luxury item.

In economics it's called Capitalism. It's how markets work. Some fail, yet others seem to stay afloat and get stronger.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted November 28, 2009 - 06:25 AM

OK, I now have several hrs of hard riding on my new bike. This bike is incredible! It feels very light and neutral when ridden and is very easy to control. The front has no hint of push when cornering and loves the inside rut as well as sweeping the fast outside line. It dosen't want to stand up in the corners and feels very controlled. The suspension is very plush yet takes a hit with no complaints. I am 6' 3" tall and weigh 205lbs. I ride 40+ expert both moto and dez and while I will need to use stiffer springs the stock setup was very nice! I have a friend that is a former AMA pro that has qualified for a 250 main in supercross in yrs past. He is a diehard Kawi man and I let him run a tank through it at the track. He was blown away also. He would pound the whoops on the arena cross track. These whoops are full blown SX style and he claimed the suspension was equal to any he had ridden before. That was box stock and before I had even adjusted the sag. He now wants a YZ.
The motor is very responsive off idle and pulls hard through the middle but tends to go flat on top. Maybe the GYTR tuner can move the power around. At 1st the motor felt almost corked but as it was ridden more it seemed to improve a bit.
I changed the oil and filter after the 1st 30 min, that really improved the shifting. Also both drains bolts are idenical and on the same side as the filter. There is know more dip stick and no more stripped lower bolts on the filter cover.
The bike will start 1 or 2 kicks most of the time but several kicks at other times. Not sure what I think of the air filter and access yet and you really can hear the air sucking when riding it.
I had my 09 with me at the track and even with it being completely set up and dialed for me I liked the stock 2010 better. I don't even want to ride the 09 anymore.
Bottom line is this bike is Awesome! :excuseme::thumbsup:
JB

Edited by jeffboyd47m, November 28, 2009 - 06:56 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2009 - 08:20 AM

There is ... no more stripped lower bolts on the filter cover.

Explain. Did they eliminate the well drain crossing the bolt hole? I see the filter is reversed and no oil flows through the cover anymore. Do you know if the filter itself is the same?

• jeffboyd47m

Posted November 28, 2009 - 08:48 AM

Explain. Did they eliminate the well drain crossing the bolt hole? I see the filter is reversed and no oil flows through the cover anymore. Do you know if the filter itself is the same?

Yes and yes!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.