Question about carbon fiber frame gurards

4 replies to this topic
  • yamaharichey

Posted April 27, 2003 - 02:34 PM

I'am thinking about carbon fiber frame guards but I worry that the constant rubbing of the boots will rub the shiny finish off making them look old and worn. Anyone had experiance with them?

• ETP

Posted April 27, 2003 - 04:34 PM

Ditto that. I am really close to buying a set from for $75 for my WR450F, but I am also concerned how durable the material is. Has anyone found them for cheaper than 75?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmp437

Posted April 27, 2003 - 11:37 PM

Check out
They have a "Tech Support" section on how to maintain the shiny finish on carbon fiber for the "new" look. They also have a gripper finish available (which I have on mine) that provides a better grip for your boots on the frame guard. They have a rough texture to them as opposed to a smooth surface so they don't need re-finishing.

• yamaharichey

Posted April 28, 2003 - 05:11 AM

Well after reading their tech tips its obvious they do wear the finish off and you have to keep spraying a new finish on. So I'am going with aluminum. Thanks for the help.

• TDog

Posted April 28, 2003 - 07:41 AM

I bought the ones with the gripper finish and they have really dulled up from my boots rubbing. They surface is too abbrasive. I would probably have stayed with aluminum if I had known this because I could remove them and polish them. I quess having them is better than not having them.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.