NEW BIKE

4 replies to this topic
  • HAWK

Posted September 03, 2000 - 06:52 AM

Are all of the new 426's having gear box problems? I just picked one up and hope it won't happen. Was it just with the first one's made or all of them? If so, what serial numbers? Are there any other problems you can tell me about? Thanks

• sm

Posted September 03, 2000 - 11:40 AM

Well, mine has a broken gear box with some gear wheels almost without theef...

Unfortunally the gear bits went to the crankshaft, piston and cilynder and damaged them.

If you notice anything strange in your gearbox (like gears disengaging) then you are in conditions to worry about!

As with the engine itself, she is perfect (in fact I thing the power developped is too much for the gear box - that's a thought only).

There are some guys complaining about the bright hot exhaust pipe when idling but this is normal since the material used is very thin and I've seen many 426s doing the same.

I'm trying to get a picture of the engine damage including the gear wheels to upload to this site.

I'm waiting to hear from the Yamaha dealer where I bouthgt it and I don't think they are going to help me much. The warranty is gone and, worse, I opened the engine myself.

Any way, as I wrote before in this forum, my heart is slightly moving into Honda and I hope the "wings of freedom" factory makes a 426 beater.

S.M.
Portugal - Europe
s_m_c_m@hotmail.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426_Kicks

Posted September 03, 2000 - 02:16 PM

Originally posted by HAWK:
Are all of the new 426's having gear box problems? I just picked one up and hope it won't happen. Was it just with the first one's made or all of them? If so, what serial numbers? Are there any other problems you can tell me about? Thanks

Hey Hawk,

I too just bought a YZ426F 2000 model a few weeks back. I've had nothing but problems, and my dealer/Yamaha haven't been very helpful. Constant overheating/cherry pipe, and a few other things.

I too am now concerned about the gearing. There is enough issues here world wide, to make ones eyes open. The only difficulty I have is getting the bike into first. Sometimes its a little tough or hard. I don't know.

***** PLEASE DO THIS...IT WILL SAVE YOUR BIKE

GET THE CRANKCASE BREATHER HOSE OUT FROM UNDER THE BIKE. DO NOT LET IT STAY THERE. WRAP IT AROUND TO FOLLOW THE TANK. PUT IT BEHIND THE PET COCK, THEN RAP AROUND THE FRAME SUPPORT, THEN UNDER AIR BOX/TANK TOWARD THE OTHER SIDE. THAT HOSE WILL SUCK UP ANYTHING...SAND, MUD, WATER, YOU NAME IT...IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, THE FIRST MUD HOLE YOU GET STUCK IN AND SHE'LL SUCK MUD RIGHT INTO THE ENGINE, AND THAT'S NOT FUN!

SEARCH: WATER IN ENGINE

on this site, you'll see postings. Its the truth. Experience is teaching me.

WHERE IS YAMAHA ON THIS ONE? :)

Randy

• Hick

Posted September 05, 2000 - 10:04 AM

Randy,
I have not had any problems with debris or dust getting sucked up my breather hose. With the motor running crankcase pressure is released through this hose. I've heard that while starting the breather will suck stuff up, so don't start the bike in a mud hole. You may be having a hard time going in to first from neutral if your clutch is sticking, see #2 below.

All the WR/YZs run hot so I would consider this normal. You just have to keep checking your coolant level. Every four stroke I have ever ridden would make the pipe glow after idling for a few minutes (TRX400, XR400, XR650, 520SX).

Hawk,
Another common complaint for the '00 426 is clutch problems. If you experience an increase in engine noise or an excessively grabby clutch you may have:
1) clearance problems between clutch basket and case and/or main gear
2) insufficient oil getting to clutch
3) Yamaha made some baskets that had unreinforced tangs which could break. Supposedly the bad baskets were only on earlier production units and Yamaha will replace them. My 426 had a “good” clutch but the rivets on the back of the basket rubbed the case and the nuts come loose on the main and counterbalancer shafts. This made some extra noise and luckily I caught the problem before anything came apart.

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 09-05-2000).]

• YZ426_Kicks

Posted September 05, 2000 - 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Hick:
Randy,
I have not had any problems with debris or dust getting sucked up my breather hose. With the motor running crankcase pressure is released through this hose. I've heard that while starting the breather will suck stuff up, so don't start the bike in a mud hole. You may be having a hard time going in to first from neutral if your clutch is sticking, see #2 below.

All the WR/YZs run hot so I would consider this normal. You just have to keep checking your coolant level. Every four stroke I have ever ridden would make the pipe glow after idling for a few minutes (TRX400, XR400, XR650, 520SX).

Hawk,
Another common complaint for the '00 426 is clutch problems. If you experience an increase in engine noise or an excessively grabby clutch you may have:
1) clearance problems between clutch basket and case and/or main gear
2) insufficient oil getting to clutch
3) Yamaha made some baskets that had unreinforced tangs which could break. Supposedly the bad baskets were only on earlier production units and Yamaha will replace them. My 426 had a “good” clutch but the rivets on the back of the basket rubbed the case and the nuts come loose on the main and counterbalancer shafts. This made some extra noise and luckily I caught the problem before anything came apart.

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 09-05-2000).]

Hey Hick:

Mud is my favorite, and yes, I've learned this the hard way. A recent stuck for 4 hours in 2 feet of the snottiest mud I've ever seen has taught me a valuable lesson. I've relocated the breather hose just below the airbox...till next time

randy

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.