07 CRF450R - Valve Job

19 replies to this topic
  • J-Dub

Posted November 23, 2009 - 03:32 PM

Well, this is my second CRF450R. Previously I rode an 04. I had to adjust the valves once on my previous CRF then I sold it, I probably had 80-100 hours on it but did not have an hour meter. I did install an hour meter on my 07 when it was new. I have had to adjust the valve 2-3 times on the 07 and now I am done, one of my intake valves has no clearance with the smallest shim (98.5 hours).

I ALWAYS change my oil and clean my air filter (I own four air filters and I rotate). I don't ride on the rev limiter and am a novice/intermediate rider. I used to only trail ride but this year I raced MX, probably 12-14 races. I have no doubt that the valve issue is not maintenance or rider related. I know that this is probably not news to some but I also know others have their differing opinions (from what I have read).

Now I need to make a decision and I am thinking about a new head from Big Bore Thumpers. I only have one intake valve that is done (the other is not too far behind) but I have never had to adjust the exhaust valves. Due to cost, I am also considering just replacing just the intake valves/springs. Either way I am going SS, I don't care if I do loose .05hp (or whatever), I would rather not keep working on this SOB.

What about a piston/rings? Do you usually find that you need a new piston at 100hrs? I am planning to pull this thing apart this week but for cost purposes I am trying to figure how much all of this is going to cost me. I am normally the kind of guy to spend more and be happy. I have read that the exhaust valves are already SS and that I would not need to worry about them?

Intake Valves Only (Cheaper Route)
$140 intake valves/springs from Big Bore
$80 Labor
$75 Gasket Kit
$60 shipping

$250 Total

Complete Head (More Expensive Route)
$549 Complete Head from Big Bore
$30 Shipping
$300 Piston & Ring
$75 Gasket Kit

$955 Total

What am I missing or what do you recommend?

• BigRichard

Posted November 23, 2009 - 03:57 PM

For me it would depend on how long I was planning to keep the bike. If you want to put another 100 hours on I would buy the complete head and piston.

Also I bet you could find a piston, rings, pin and gaskets for $175 online if you went with OEM.

You may also consider a timing chain and tensioner while you're in there. Good luck.

• J-Dub

Posted November 23, 2009 - 04:21 PM

Two very good points, thanks for the tips!

• MotoJunkii

Posted November 23, 2009 - 06:57 PM

Since you have it opened up, you might as well do the piston and rings and anything else you can afford. Otherwise it will drive you crazy....:excuseme:(it would drive me crazy). Do it right and cover everything if you can...

But why buy a new head? Why not have the existing head redone? I had mine redone with new seats, guides, TRX valves and HD springs for $370 with shipping...

I spent another $175 for OEM piston & rings. Didn't replace my timing chain or tensioner...kind of wishing I did though...

• J-Dub

Posted November 24, 2009 - 09:38 AM

After some thought I am thinking I am going to keep the bike for the next 1-2 years, so I am going to be more thorough and do a new OEM piston/ring. Do I need a new head, probably not. As a matter of fact it will likely not do anything for performance or longevity.

450xDaD- Did your valve job include new intake and exhaust valves/springs, or just intake? Who did you use?

Thanks,
JW

• MotoJunkii

Posted November 24, 2009 - 04:03 PM

After some thought I am thinking I am going to keep the bike for the next 1-2 years, so I am going to be more thorough and do a new OEM piston/ring. Do I need a new head, probably not. As a matter of fact it will likely not do anything for performance or longevity.

450xDaD- Did your valve job include new intake and exhaust valves/springs, or just intake? Who did you use?

Thanks,
JW

Yea...if you're keeping it, just do it right.....I must have had a minimum of 200 hrs on my motor before I did the top end. I've always been meticulous with maintenance.

My valve job was everything, both intake & exhaust, guides, and new seats. Plus he cleaned up the entire head and ports like new. I had the choice of either OEM, TRX, or Kibblewhite's. I opted for the the TRX valves and HD springs as it have me a good balance of durability and price...I wasn't looking for any performance gains....I only use a small % of the power available as it is.....

He included photos of the head rebuilding process too....Pretty cool I thought. http://picasaweb.goo...feat=directlink

I boxed it up in bubble wrap and shipped it off to.....

w w w. a s r a c i n g i n c. c o m , in California...

Very happy with the results...

Edited by 450xDaD, November 24, 2009 - 04:27 PM.

• J-Dub

Posted November 25, 2009 - 08:22 AM

Well right on, I appreciate you sharing your experience and information.

Time to get this valve issue addressed so I can get off the internet and back onto the bike!!!

Appreciate the help 450xDaD :excuseme:

If anyone else wants to share their experiences with other shops that provide valve jobs I am listening, I hope to tear the bike down and ship the head next week.

• Sxdude

Posted November 25, 2009 - 08:34 AM

you should also give Ron Hamp a call and see what he recommends.
http://www.ronhamp.com/

• J-Dub

Posted December 23, 2009 - 02:30 PM

Conclusion:

I ended up going with AS Racing for my head work. I was very pleased with the customer service. Kelly was very knowledgeable, answered the phone every time I called, knew the pricing, and did not try to up-sell anything. My head was turned around in four days (that includes the day it was received and the day it shipped), pretty good IMO. I ended up putting in the TRX intake valves and just reusing the exhaust valves. I got new springs and retainers as well.

Motosport: piston, wrist pin, clips, spark plug, & gaskets = 200.00 I had to round off because I bought some other parts on the same order, I may be off by about $5 at the most.

AS Racing: 293.99

UPS: $10

TOTAL $503.99

My expectations are that I won't have to adjust my valves ever again (maybe once after the break in period). I already put 3.5 hours on the new valves and everything is working as expected. :moon:

Thanks to everyone that provide input on this thread! Hopefully this info will someone else in the future. I sure was way off on my original numbers in this thread. :cheers:

Cheers,
JW

• jeffgoodtime

Posted December 23, 2009 - 04:51 PM

As long as you don't need guides you will be ok cost wise.

• billbro

Posted December 23, 2009 - 06:35 PM

I know it's too late for you now but, maybe it'll help out someone else. Honda of Toledo, Ohio is selling Honda OEM piston kits (piston, rings Pin & clips) on Ebay for $106.00 delivered to your door.

• flyin vee

Posted December 24, 2009 - 05:22 AM

I know it's too late for you now but, maybe it'll help out someone else. Honda of Toledo, Ohio is selling Honda OEM piston kits (piston, rings Pin & clips) on Ebay for $106.00 delivered to your door.

Good price but that kit does not include the $40 gasket kit nor does it include a new wrist pin bearing which runs about $15. Just keep that in mind when ordering.:moon:

• billbro

Posted December 24, 2009 - 07:32 PM

Wrist pin bearing???? Not on mine.

• jonas10001

Posted December 25, 2009 - 01:51 AM

Good price but that kit does not include the $40 gasket kit nor does it include a new wrist pin bearing which runs about $15. Just keep that in mind when ordering.:moon:

wrist pin bearing?? i havent found one on any of my 3 crf 450´s
and i even changed the conrod.. :cheers:

• flyin vee

Posted December 25, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Wow am I a tard! I am new to the 4t moto world and have not had mine apart yet. 2t's have a wrist pin bearing did'nt realize the 4t's did'nt. Sorry for the confusion.

• heavydog

Posted January 18, 2010 - 05:19 PM

When you say HD springs do you mean Honda Dealer or Heavy Duty? Are you worried about valve float?

• heavydog

Posted January 18, 2010 - 06:20 PM

Hi j Dub, what kind of springs did they put in?

• willbilly

Posted January 18, 2010 - 07:57 PM

+1 for Agent Smith. Great work at a great price.

• maurpra

Posted January 18, 2010 - 10:25 PM

Well, this is my second CRF450R. Previously I rode an 04. I had to adjust the valves once on my previous CRF then I sold it, I probably had 80-100 hours on it but did not have an hour meter. I did install an hour meter on my 07 when it was new. I have had to adjust the valve 2-3 times on the 07 and now I am done, one of my intake valves has no clearance with the smallest shim (98.5 hours).

I ALWAYS change my oil and clean my air filter (I own four air filters and I rotate). I don't ride on the rev limiter and am a novice/intermediate rider. I used to only trail ride but this year I raced MX, probably 12-14 races. I have no doubt that the valve issue is not maintenance or rider related. I know that this is probably not news to some but I also know others have their differing opinions (from what I have read).

Now I need to make a decision and I am thinking about a new head from Big Bore Thumpers. I only have one intake valve that is done (the other is not too far behind) but I have never had to adjust the exhaust valves. Due to cost, I am also considering just replacing just the intake valves/springs. Either way I am going SS, I don't care if I do loose .05hp (or whatever), I would rather not keep working on this SOB.

What about a piston/rings? Do you usually find that you need a new piston at 100hrs? I am planning to pull this thing apart this week but for cost purposes I am trying to figure how much all of this is going to cost me. I am normally the kind of guy to spend more and be happy. I have read that the exhaust valves are already SS and that I would not need to worry about them?

Interesting, I'm exactly like you. Second CRF450, trail riding only, no MX at all, regular maintenance on oil and filters. My first 02 CRF had 110 hours before I had to adjust the valves. Now my 07 CRF had 100 hours and the valves went open (not tight!) because of carbon builds-up, sign that I was a too rich and had valve stem seals leaking oil (eventhough there wasn't evident smoke at the exhaust). Never ever overheated as I've liquid temp. sensor that starts flashing when I'm over 110 C° at the radiator.

Could be the tight valves problems many people is facing comes out being to lean mixtures (and consequents high temps in the chamber).....?

• bradenburton757

Posted December 01, 2011 - 08:32 PM

man, i am right here with my 07.. 106hrs. trail/lite mx riding. and def lacking the money to buy new bike.. let alone a full rebuild. debating just slapping new intake valves in it. people talk of these crfs pistons going for 300hrs. i guess it depends how much i want to roll the dice?

are cam chain and new tensioner a must? also ive switched some car motors(honda) over to manual tensioners.. is that a good idea on these motors too?

so on the fence about what to do. really wanna sell and get a new bike.
think this is what its looking like to rebuild in 2012:
pistion kit 190
head work 150
new valves/gaskets 230
cam chain+tensioner 60

630.. anything else?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2006 crf450r kick started being stuck by Sheldonjace2013

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  44 replies
Forums
Photo

05 crf450r top end by jlkroner

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

06 crf450r by tw191

• Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 Honda crf450r problems by Tjcrf450r

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help with 2013 crf450 motor by souliog

• Hot  75 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.