Excessive clutch lever play

4 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted November 23, 2009 - 10:51 AM

My 08 yz450 has excessive play in the clutch lever. The clutch lever bolt is tightened to spec( actually a little more snug). I have kicked around the idea of inserting a very thin shim/washer to take up the play between the lever and perch, but the shim/washer would have to be extremely thin. I have no other reason to replace the stock lever and perch. Does anyone have a fix aside from buying an aftermarket lever and perch?

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2009 - 11:05 AM

If you're speaking of vertical play that can be described as rocking at the hinge, you can reduce it, but you won't get rid of it, and until someone comes up with a perch that has either two ball bearings or a roller bearing on the pivot, you're stuck with it to one degree or other.

Just my opinion, but there are lots of better things to be annoyed by.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted November 23, 2009 - 12:31 PM

If you're speaking of vertical play that can be described as rocking at the hinge, you can reduce it, but you won't get rid of it, and until someone comes up with a perch that has either two ball bearings or a roller bearing on the pivot, you're stuck with it to one degree or other.

Just my opinion, but there are lots of better things to be annoyed by.

Yes, I was speaking of vertical play.

I'm not annoyed by it, I am just wondering if anyone has a solution using the stock lever and perch:thumbsup:

• nickeenoo

Posted November 23, 2009 - 01:03 PM

You could always try throwing some suspension shims between the lever and the perch to take some of the play out. Suspension shims are available in virtually any size. You might take a few measurements and find a suspension shop to get a few shims and see if that helps.

Nate

• ForsheeMS

Posted November 23, 2009 - 02:12 PM

You could always make a bushing that fits tighter on the lever bolt. Better make several while you're at it as they wear and cause the excess play.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.