Yamaha 450 2010 EFI Settings.

31 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2009 - 08:58 AM

Yeah! it is easy to use............but kinda of frustrating to understand on what settings to make.

You would think they would have had aftermarket pipes or air filters downloaded in this powertuner so when you made an aftermarket change to the bike......
They would have a map already set for these changes ...

correct me if I'm wrong but this PT will seem to be a valuable tool it is just understanding it first.

First, Yamaha is never going to go around researching everyone's aftermarket exhausts, etc., to try and find an ideal map for every conceivable combination of mods, weather, and track surfaces any more than they offered jetting specs for the current models. I doubt you'll even see maps for GYT-R products, or that they would really be helpful if produced.

Second, a Twin-Air has no effect on jetting on an '06, and I don't expect it will on a '10, either. The assumption that an aftermarket exhaust automatically requires rejetting is also flawed. My '06's required no jetting changes for the DRD systems I put on them.

The difficulty some people are going to have comes from the fact that they have been used to changing either the main or the pilot, or both, and letting the needle take care of itself, which, to a degree, it will, since it basically just modifies the fuel flow through the main jet. With the EFI, they will have to actually tweak mid throttle as well as full throttle if it's a problem.

Timing changes will be a little more difficult to get used to, since very few people have had any experience with altering it, much less being able to tailor the mapping.

Take the time to analyze the bike's performance, and how you need or want to change it. Make the changes in small increments, take notes, and don't make jetting and timing changes at the same time, at least not at first, so that you can be sure of the effect you observe from each change. Pay attention, think, and you'll figure it out.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 25, 2009 - 02:28 PM

Never mind the maps..I wanna know how that sucker rides! come on man give us the lowdown....

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 25, 2009 - 03:33 PM

First, Yamaha is never going to go around researching everyone's aftermarket exhausts, etc., to try and find an ideal map for every conceivable combination of mods, weather, and track surfaces any more than they offered jetting specs for the current models. I doubt you'll even see maps for GYT-R products, or that they would really be helpful if produced.

Second, a Twin-Air has no effect on jetting on an '06, and I don't expect it will on a '10, either. The assumption that an aftermarket exhaust automatically requires rejetting is also flawed. My '06's required no jetting changes for the DRD systems I put on them.
The difficulty some people are going to have comes from the fact that they have been used to changing either the main or the pilot, or both, and letting the needle take care of itself, which, to a degree, it will, since it basically just modifies the fuel flow through the main jet. With the EFI, they will have to actually tweak mid throttle as well as full throttle if it's a problem.

Timing changes will be a little more difficult to get used to, since very few people have had any experience with altering it, much less being able to tailor the mapping.

Take the time to analyze the bike's performance, and how you need or want to change it. Make the changes in small increments, take notes, and don't make jetting and timing changes at the same time, at least not at first, so that you can be sure of the effect you observe from each change. Pay attention, think, and you'll figure it out.

My 06 did!......I put the full stainless steel exhaust DRD pipe on and a flame would shoot out the pipe about three feet every time I reved it up and then let off.

called DRD and D.Dubach told me it was to lean and to move the clip on the needle jet one position. I believe he said to lower the clip one notch to richen it or vice versa.

But anyway I did and it took care of the flame shooting out. This is why i made the statement if you put on an after market exhaust would there be a map already set up for that perticular brand of pipe.

But I guess not after your reply.

• grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2009 - 09:05 PM

I had already rejetted the bike while it had the stock system on it to correct its lean pilot condition. I used that same jetting with the DRD. On two bikes, BTW.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 25, 2009 - 11:17 PM

I guess it was the differences in our elevations that made mine run so lean with the DRD.

• rider211

Posted November 26, 2009 - 06:00 AM

when i said its much better i ment you dont need to have a car battery,a laptop,or anything but the tool, and its alot cheaper i got mine for $220

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:06 AM

I guess it was the differences in our elevations that made mine run so lean with the DRD.

What is the difference in our elevations?

• RaceMX84

Posted December 13, 2009 - 07:56 PM

I got a 2010 450 and the tuner,been raining haven't ridden at track,rode in driveway has a lot of power,got the tuner but there is no maps in it,read about some different maps for different tracks and rider liking but have not found were to get them,not exactly sure what adjustments will do what to power and traction,I guess i will call Drd he should know the deal,too risky to play with if not sure,you would think yamaha would have some different maps to try on the stock bike that were safe to run

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 14, 2009 - 10:34 AM

What is the difference in our elevations?

I dont know about your elevation where you live but here in VA. We are located in Mount Rogers which is the highest elevation in virginia and that is roughly 9800ft above sea level.

I supose this is the reason for my lean condition when I put the drd pipe on and left the clip position to the jet neddle at stock. So to correct the leanness i had to move the clip one notch.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2009 - 11:13 AM

An increase in altitude causes fuel mixture to run rich, not lean, for one thing. For another, I run the same two jettings pretty much year round here (45/165 summer, 45/168 winter, stock NFPR needle at #4) at altitudes ranging from 4000 feet to -80, and temps ranging from 40 (occasionally lower) to 110.

Mount Rogers is the highest point in Virginia, but it's 5,729 ft above sea level, not 9800, and it's in the George Washington National Forest. No one lives there. Troutdale, Creek Junction, and Rugby are within 10 miles of the peak, but are at closer to 3000 feet.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 14, 2009 - 12:16 PM

An increase in altitude causes fuel mixture to run rich, not lean, for one thing. For another, I run the same two jettings pretty much year round here (45/165 summer, 45/168 winter, stock NFPR needle at #4) at altitudes ranging from 4000 feet to -80, and temps ranging from 40 (occasionally lower) to 110.

Mount Rogers is the highest point in Virginia, but it's 5,729 ft above sea level, not 9800, and it's in the George Washington National Forest. No one lives there. Troutdale, Creek Junction, and Rugby are within 10 miles of the peak, but are at closer to 3000 feet.

Rugby is where I'm located. I knew it was the highest in va but wasnt real sure of the hight. So i guess the stock settings were already set to lean before i got the bike and by adding the DRD full exhaust it just made it more leaner.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2009 - 12:42 PM

... i guess the stock settings were already set to lean before i got the bike and by adding the DRD full exhaust it just made it more leaner.

The '06 was notorious for being lean on the pilot as delivered, and since they first came out in the late fall, a lot of guys got away with huge main jets also. Most of these reverted to smaller jets once it warmed up. Mine were delivered with a 42/165/NFPR-4 set up. The only change I made was to the pilot. bumping it to a 45, and eventually going to a 168 in the winter. The DRD worked fine with that.

In the case of my son's old YZ250F, in adding a White Bros. R4, we ended up having to go leaner on the pilot and needle to compensate for the pipe.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.