Yamaha 450 2010 EFI Settings.

31 replies to this topic
  • poliisi2

Posted November 23, 2009 - 07:18 AM

I just got new 450 and tool for EFI. Anybody have some idea how this thing works? I can program new settings in the EFI tool thats not the case but have not many idea for making new settings like what to do make bike
run cleaner/richer make bike more/less agressive? Or can order ready settings somewhere internet?

• mxracer206

Posted November 23, 2009 - 08:42 AM

First off how do you like it you lucky dog? I wen't to a Yamaha update clinic a few weeks ago, it is my understanding that they were going to make maps available to accompany the GYTR products. I have the tool but NO BIKE to try it on. I would be a little careful until some more info is available, the guy doing the class said Yamaha allowed it to do a lot more than he thought should have been available to the public.

• Shogren65

Posted November 23, 2009 - 10:58 AM

I too would wait until some more people have these in their hands. I have my Tuner, but no bike. I would keep it stock until more infor is available.

• poliisi2

Posted November 23, 2009 - 12:47 PM

Lucky maybe but i pay 9000e around 13000usd have some humor on that! You guys are so good in us to have parts and bikes so cheap least they looks cheap to us here in
europe. Anyway bike is mega but not so much hype what they been talking 250f is still
lot lighter than this new 450 but still its great motorcycle for sure. That i was thinking too to wait get somemore info whit EFI.

• kaospiloten

Posted November 23, 2009 - 01:12 PM

Send a pm to Eddie Sisneros here on TT. I am sure he can help you :excuseme:

• ProMed

Posted November 23, 2009 - 02:59 PM

the guy doing the class said Yamaha allowed it to do a lot more than he thought should have been available to the public.

This is interesting and a little suprising. How exactly does the Yamaha tuner compare to what you can do with the kawi, honda or power commander tuners?

• twenty34

Posted November 23, 2009 - 03:52 PM

This is interesting and a little suprising. How exactly does the Yamaha tuner compare to what you can do with the kawi, honda or power commander tuners?

The difference is that it's actually intuitive in comparison. No need to send out your ECU like on other bikes. i.e. Dummy Proof.

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2009 - 03:52 PM

http://www.thumperta...1&postcount=363

• twenty34

Posted November 23, 2009 - 08:44 PM

Here's the entire EFI Manual. Man, that's easy to use.

http://www.mcnews.co...uner_Manual.pdf

• honda597

Posted November 23, 2009 - 08:54 PM

Mabe we should start a new sticky thread so we can share maps easily.
It would be good to try maps by other racers to compare.I have had the tuner for while now( still no bike, next week i am told.) and it is very easy to use.
I cant wait to use the diagnostic capabilities of the tuner also.:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxracer206

Posted November 24, 2009 - 04:33 AM

Never used or seen the Kawi or Honda and the Power Commander requires a computer unless they have a hand held I don't know about. The Yamaha lets you re-map as well as letting you see a live reading on the sensors. Looks to be easy to use.

• Davey762

Posted November 24, 2009 - 05:09 AM

The yamaha tuning system looks great. Makes the other systems look old and outdated already! Who wants to carry around a laptop and battery to make changes? Yamaha system is way less complicated.

• ProMed

Posted November 24, 2009 - 07:01 AM

Never used or seen the Kawi or Honda and the Power Commander requires a computer unless they have a hand held I don't know about. The Yamaha lets you re-map as well as letting you see a live reading on the sensors. Looks to be easy to use.

I like that it doesn't require a computer, but was just surprised to read that a Yamaha rep said "Yamaha allowed it to do a lot more than he thought should have been available to the public."

My question is more along the lines of what all can you change (or not change) with the Yamaha tuner that can't been done with the other systems already out. I'm no expert, but it looks like there are less changes that can be made with the Yamaha tuner, which may or may not be a bad thing. If it is, I am betting someone will come up with a way to make even more adjustments to further dial the bike in.

• twenty34

Posted November 24, 2009 - 07:23 AM

If it is, I am betting someone will come up with a way to make even more adjustments to further dial the bike in.

and probably not needed. MXA, went through something like 17 maps when testing on the Honda and ended back with stock. You don't want or need to get carried away with changes as it works pretty well out of the box. Yamaha seems to have made it very easy to do at the track, however.

• ProMed

Posted November 24, 2009 - 01:08 PM

and probably not needed. MXA, went through something like 17 maps when testing on the Honda and ended back with stock. You don't want or need to get carried away with changes as it works pretty well out of the box. Yamaha seems to have made it very easy to do at the track, however.

Makes sense. Going back and looking at the info gray posted it looks like you can make adjustments for low throttle, mid throttle, and full throttle and then low speed, mid speed, and full speed for each of those.

My only personal experience with this type of thing is with the power commander which you can make adjustments every 500 rpm from idle to redline and then with 8-9 different throttle positions for each of those. On a bike that redlines at 13k that would be around 20 x 8 values you can adjust versus the 3 x 3 of the Yamaha tuner.

How do the Kawi and Honda controllers compare?

• rider211

Posted November 24, 2009 - 01:15 PM

its a much better and cheaper system than honda,kawi or suzuki if you under stand jetting and know how you like your power delivered and where you need to change the delivery of it then all you need to do is make small changes at a time till you get the result you want

• ProMed

Posted November 24, 2009 - 02:10 PM

its a much better and cheaper system than honda,kawi or suzuki if you under stand jetting and know how you like your power delivered and where you need to change the delivery of it then all you need to do is make small changes at a time till you get the result you want

How is it "much better", that's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm more looking for the actual differences between the variables that can be adjusted between this and the other available systems. I'm just a little surprised you can only adjust for low, mid, and full throttle and speed variables. Are the race teams going to use the Yamaha tuner or will they use something more advanced?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 24, 2009 - 10:00 PM

I would say you would have to use the tuner if you replaced the stock exhaust with an aftermarket one like FMF,yoshimura,DRD just to name a few.

You would probally have to use the tuner to adjust the leanness or richichness of the fuel/air mixter pending which pipe you put on and how it is effecting the bike. Thats just how I would see it.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 25, 2009 - 06:53 AM

The manual that rickk posted up said in their that one could check the running time on the motor.

So I guess there would not be any need for an hour meter if you can check and see how many hours of running time there is on the bike through this power tuner.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 25, 2009 - 07:48 AM

Here's the entire EFI Manual. Man, that's easy to use.

http://www.mcnews.co...uner_Manual.pdf

Yeah! it is easy to use............but kinda of frustrating to understand on what settings to make.

You would think they would have had aftermarket pipes or air filters downloaded in this powertuner so when you made an aftermarket change to the bike...... example (put on a BIG GUN exhaust or pro circit exhaust or a twin-air filter or combination of both)

They would have a map already set for these changes so all you had to do is find what changes or mods you have done to the bike and click on them and your set.

to me this power tuner will be kind of cantankerious. If one is not careful you could burn the piston up by advanceing the timing to much or throw the fuel curve off as much into thinking the bike is starving for fuel and there the bog would be back.

correct me if I'm wrong but this PT will seem to be a valuable tool it is just understanding it first.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.