2009 yz450f best all around bike

35 replies to this topic
  • joneser12

Posted December 07, 2009 - 10:12 AM

Under powerd? I have to say that is false. I ride with a group of guys that have the brands coverd and the stock 08/09 yzf will out climb any stock CRF,KX or RM the funny thing is a 04-09 YZ250 with a good rider on it will out Climb all them 4Strokers! 2 Minute hillclimbs is what prooves the power, not MX Tracks!

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2009 - 10:27 AM

the funny thing is a 04-09 YZ250 with a good rider on it will out Climb all them 4Strokers! 2 Minute hillclimbs is what prooves the power, not MX Tracks!

Since we know that a YZ250 is down something like 8 hp to a YZ450, I'll have to say, "not really".

• Endurox530

Posted December 07, 2009 - 11:28 AM

If the bike is setup properly the bike is great!! i love my yz on and off the track..dose everything i want it too...dont knock it till you try it!!

• Endurox530

Posted December 07, 2009 - 11:30 AM

joneser is right on the 2 minute hill climbs...that there will show you how much power a bike dose have...at least its blue!!!

• kawi380

Posted December 07, 2009 - 11:56 AM

We are all entitled to our opinions. I have found that no matter what bike I am on, that there are certain things I know the bike is capable of doing that I, myself am not...

• joneser12

Posted December 07, 2009 - 03:00 PM

Since we know that a YZ250 is down something like 8 hp to a YZ450, I'll have to say, "not really".

Just because something looks good on paper doesnt mean it will shine in reality! I went back to a 2 stroke and found it was alot easier to ride and climbs better, Just my opinion! They both have there place.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2009 - 03:35 PM

Just because something looks good on paper doesnt mean it will shine in reality! I went back to a 2 stroke and found it was alot easier to ride and climbs better, Just my opinion! They both have there place.

You are off of your own point. You said hill climbs demonstrate power, then cited the superior climbing ability of a bike with an 8+ HP deficit as an example of that. If you had simply said that you find your pinger easier to climb with than a 4-stroke with more power, that would have been entirely different.

BTW, I find the opposite to be the case, so there you are. :banghead:

There are way too many variables in hill climbing to use it as a gauge of very much of anything other than one's ability to cover the course on a particular bike. But your point that an MX course is also not a dynamometer is well taken.

• joneser12

Posted December 07, 2009 - 03:56 PM

You are off of your own point. You said hill climbs demonstrate power, then cited the superior climbing ability of a bike with an 8+ HP deficit as an example of that. If you had simply said that you find your pinger easier to climb with than a 4-stroke with more power, that would have been entirely different.

BTW, I find the opposite to be the case, so there you are. :banghead:

There are way too many variables in hill climbing to use it as a gauge of very much of anything other than one's ability to cover the course on a particular bike. But your point that an MX course is also not a dynamometer is well taken.

So how much power do both bikes have? AVG and peak! Do you own a Dyno?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted December 07, 2009 - 04:23 PM

I know we have a troller but again I have to agree with him. The only thing the 08/09 YZ450F is best at is suspension and getting smoked to the first turn. I can see where the bike would be great for some riders but when stacked up against the competition it doesn't do so well. You might be thinking, well how much power can the average rider use....I can answer that by saying, I can use more than the 09 YZ450F makes (at least in the low end). If you think the power is awsome on that bike you should put on a diaper and ride an 09 KXF, SXF, or CRF.
I'm not trying to make anyone mad but those bikes aren't that fast. Some people even consider them slow in stock form.
Bring on the hate mail.....

:cheers: :worthy:

if you think that a 450 is to slow for you id suggest you to get a 500 and race js in the new open class at my backyard.

will it be after you win the ama supercross and motocross titles or before. ?

:banghead:

its all about the rider!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2009 - 04:26 PM

The YZ250 has around 44 RWHP. The '09 YZ450F has around 51-52. Furthermore, the power curve of the typical MX 4-stroke far flatter and stronger through the middle than an MX 2-stroke.

And why do I need to own a dyno to know that?

• joneser12

Posted December 07, 2009 - 04:44 PM

Sounds like you read alot!

• SparksXR426

Posted December 07, 2009 - 05:26 PM

Sounds like you read alot!

After reading the last few posts I have this image of a mouse trying to charge a Ford. Sorry. :banghead:

Current 450 4 strokes have a huge spread of usable power. Until, of course, you stall them on a slope so steep that your bike wont stay there unless its tied. Nobody ever does that though.

• mxmaddman

Posted December 07, 2009 - 09:07 PM

08/09 are great but what about 07? Its pretty much the same bike. If im not mistaken the 06 was the year that needed a few geometry tweaks and 07-09 are the same.. correct??

I think the OP is correct. Some people like different bikes better, some people ride different bikes better.

As far as the hill climbs go I have seen a few 2ts rocket up some hills to disbelief. Light weight and lower center of gravity is why though, not because they have more power.

• FinchFan194

Posted December 07, 2009 - 09:24 PM

The 08 I have been told it totally different than the 07 and way better handling because of a revised frame. and swingarm among other things.

• twenty34

Posted December 07, 2009 - 09:58 PM

I know we have a troller but again I have to agree with him. The only thing the 08/09 YZ450F is best at is suspension and getting smoked to the first turn. I can see where the bike would be great for some riders but when stacked up against the competition it doesn't do so well.

Didn't Yamaha win the 07/08 AMA National Championships under GL and JS? If JS raced in 09, I think that would have been 07/08/ and 09.

It ain't about the bike.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 08, 2009 - 03:44 AM

I must say that I rode my first Yami thumper. 06 Sold it to my friend, Bought me an 08. Let him ride it one day and he stalled it on the track and couldn't get it started. I had to ride my old bike, the one I sold him back down to him and was so much different. I couldn't believe how much different it was. In all due respect it handeled like a tank compared to th 08. I have since sold my 09
Posted Image and currently bikeless. I'm awaiting a new 09 white, provided Santa deems me a good boy. 09 YZ450F is the best bike I've ever ridden. Merry Christmas

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.