might try to trade in my YZ125 for a YZ 400, convince me!!

4 replies to this topic
  • jmccown

Posted August 30, 2000 - 02:04 PM

Rode a 98 YZ 400 the other day and fell in love with it, only fault is the starting process. A local Yamaha shop has it on the used section and even they had a rough time starting it. Only one guy there could start it. I tried and tried, but to no avail, she just wouldn't cooperate with me. I have ridden two strokes my whole life with an occasional XR200 or 250 here or there. I will probably go next week to trade. But first let me ask you guys this about my 125. I traded my KX250 to the bike while it was blown up, needed rebuilt. I sleeved it and put a Wiseco piston in it and rode it about four hours. I was racing it one day and it just quit, lost its compression and wouldn't start back. I disassembled it and the front section of the piston was worn to the exact pattern of the section between the exhaust ports. The bore on the cylinder looked great, what could be the problem. A friend said the section between the ports should have been 'bowled' out to give the rings some expansion room once the motor got hot. Any help is appreciated.

------------------
Currently a 1997 YZ125, Pro Circuit factory sound silencer, FMF fatty pipe, carbon fiber reeds, oversized tank, Wiseco piston

WANT A YZ 400!!!!

• OBRIAN

Posted August 30, 2000 - 03:25 PM

Originally posted by jmccown:
Rode a 98 YZ 400 the other day and fell in love with it, only fault is the starting process. A local Yamaha shop has it on the used section and even they had a rough time starting it. Only one guy there could start it. I tried and tried, but to no avail, she just wouldn't cooperate with me. I have ridden two strokes my whole life with an occasional XR200 or 250 here or there. I will probably go next week to trade. But first let me ask you guys this about my 125. I traded my KX250 to the bike while it was blown up, needed rebuilt. I sleeved it and put a Wiseco piston in it and rode it about four hours. I was racing it one day and it just quit, lost its compression and wouldn't start back. I disassembled it and the front section of the piston was worn to the exact pattern of the section between the exhaust ports. The bore on the cylinder looked great, what could be the problem. A friend said the section between the ports should have been 'bowled' out to give the rings some expansion room once the motor got hot. Any help is appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OBRIAN

Posted August 30, 2000 - 03:30 PM

HELLO SORRY ABOUT THAT OTHER REPLY, MESSED SOMETHING UP, ANYWAY, IF YOU REALLY WANT ONE, WAIT AND GET A NEW YZF250, VERY TRICK MACHINE,!!!!!!!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 30, 2000 - 04:25 PM

Starting the 400 is a learned talent that becomes easier with time the trick is to find someone who has a 400/426 and ask them for a quick lesson :)

• YZ426_Kicks

Posted August 30, 2000 - 05:26 PM

Originally posted by jmccown:

My YZ426 is my first bike, so I learned real quick how to deal with it. Lesson One: NEVER EVER TOUCH THE THROTTLE...WANT TO KICK FOREVER? JUST TWIST ONCE! When first starting, use the cold choke. Find top dead center. Squeeze the compression lever and move the kick starter about an inch, a lil will do ya! Go back to top, then kick...usually 1-3 pops all it takes.

When running the bike, and you stall, use the hot choke. Open up the hot, repeat steps above. As soon as she starts push the HOT CHOKE in...

If you flood...Pull HOT CHOKE OUT. Depress the compression lever and hold. Kick several times ( 5 - 10 ) then bring the bike to T.D.C. This procedure opens the air flow and pushes out the gas in the bowls ( clears the engine ). Then start by normal procedure. This was found in the YZ426F shop manual and has helped me out tremendously. According to Yamaha, no damage will be done to the bike...pg 1-15 in manual.

Hopes this helps from a Rookie who is finding out the only way he can...experience...Anyone in the Poughkeepsie, NY area contact me!

Randy

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.