2010 YZ450F sighting in the wild videos!

28 replies to this topic
  • jcm3

Posted November 30, 2009 - 11:50 AM

Update!

Rob the new 2010 YZ450F owner is now in the hospital!

OMG! I'm sorry to hear that, and hope that he makes a full recovery and rides again.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 30, 2009 - 01:17 PM

Update!

Rob the new 2010 YZ450F owner is now in the hospital! He went to a local MX track here in Vegas and over jumped a double table top. He broke three ribs, punctured a lung, broke his back, dislocated a hip and shoulder. His sister said that his helmet was cracked in half. He must have really hit hard! Rob is a very experienced rider and used to race Saddle Back and Glen Helen back in the 80's.

When I rode his new 450 I told him I thought the power was very deceiving. It is extremely smooth and puts it to the ground. You are accelerating much faster than it feels. Off idle and mid range especially.

Rob is expected to make a full recovery but time will tell if he will be able to ride again!

does this mean
a Slightly used 2010 YZF450 Injury forces Sale?
Hate to hear when someone gets hurt

• sic

Posted November 30, 2009 - 02:08 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's crash. the details of it were awful.
hope all goes well for him.

Sic...

• Larry Gude

Posted November 30, 2009 - 02:28 PM

Update!

Rob the new 2010 YZ450F owner is now in the hospital! He went to a local MX track here in Vegas and over jumped a double table top. He broke three ribs, punctured a lung, broke his back, dislocated a hip and shoulder. His sister said that his helmet was cracked in half. He must have really hit hard! Rob is a very experienced rider and used to race Saddle Back and Glen Helen back in the 80's.

When I rode his new 450 I told him I thought the power was very deceiving. It is extremely smooth and puts it to the ground. You are accelerating much faster than it feels. Off idle and mid range especially.

Rob is expected to make a full recovery but time will tell if he will be able to ride again!

Sickening to hear about. Damn.

You're saying that that deceptive power and smoothness needs to be something new owners need to be really aware of, right?

How would you compare it to your KX500? I've ridden several older ones, never an AF, but always VERY aware of just how much power is in there. And it took me awhile to get used to my friends 09 crf450's.

Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NVDESERTPETE

Posted November 30, 2009 - 05:23 PM

Sickening to hear about. Damn.

You're saying that that deceptive power and smoothness needs to be something new owners need to be really aware of, right?

How would you compare it to your KX500? I've ridden several older ones, never an AF, but always VERY aware of just how much power is in there. And it took me awhile to get used to my friends 09 crf450's.

Thanks!

The KX500AF is a beast! The modern chassis helps considerably but it still lives up to it's old nickname "widow maker". I've spanked every 450 so far in a drag race up to about 65-70 but I'm running 14/47 sprockets. If it's loose dirt I take off in 3rd.

Edited by grayracer513, December 01, 2009 - 10:31 AM.
off topic material

• Larry Gude

Posted December 01, 2009 - 02:39 PM

The KX500AF is a beast! The modern chassis helps considerably but it still lives up to it's old nickname "widow maker". I've spanked every 450 so far in a drag race up to about 65-70 but I'm running 14/47 sprockets. If it's loose dirt I take off in 3rd.

:cheers:

I'm not good enough to push them. The two brothers I ride with who have the KX's, are damn good and we're all big guys. They just look effortless on them, just, well you know. I mean, I lug it, alot, with all that power just...

:banghead:

• krony506

Posted December 01, 2009 - 02:57 PM

With all my sympathy to your friend and his current plight, I nevertheless now step up on the soap box: This is precisely what I hate about "modern" MX. Wheels are not wings, and IMO, the whole thing went to hell when altitude became more important than speed.

I can't agree more! The tracks I ride and race have turned into outdoor supercross for pros. This is why so many people are getting hurt.

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2009 - 02:58 PM

You guys might be looking for this forum:

http://www.thumperta...splay.php?f=195

Please return to the topic.

• BBrown626

Posted December 01, 2009 - 05:36 PM

i definately agree with grayracer on this..."modern mx" has turned into outdoor supercross....add to that the modern four stroke that is making it "possible" for someone to go buy a 450 go to a local track and hit a 80' triple 20' out of a corner while thats not really the norm..its possible on the four strokes ..which in essence removed alot of the "skill" required in riding that you needed to have "back in the day" on 2 strokes..where clutching,shifting,braking,corneringetc were needed in order to be fast and actually be able to hit the bigger jumps...now you can blow a corner get straight pin it and still clear the jumps with ease.....where is this sport headed?..lol

Very good point. New riders should read this kind of stuff. I see a lot of guys jumping monster jumps and in the air they are very stiff and appear to have a death grip on the bike. They are often the guys panic reving. If you aren't comfortable then you don't have the skills needed. When you ride a smaller bike you have to work very hard for the speed needed to clear some of the obstacles. Us bigger and older guys don't blow a corner on a smaller bike (2-stroke or 250F) and then pin it with the confidence you can clear that triple. You work your way up, learning to ride along the way. I was guilty of it on my 450. The smaller bike has taught me to ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.