2008 Exhaust, both cones removed!

5 replies to this topic
  • salasmauricio

Posted November 21, 2009 - 02:44 PM

Finally, I've been searching a while about this, but so far I only found some people who removed just one of the cones, since I have a spare 2007 exhaust, I decided to take apart my OEM 2008 exhaust and remove BOTH of the inner cones that restricted the flow. Basically the air now flows free, no cones, no spark arrestor, nothing.:smirk:

In one word, awesome... I really think everybody should try this, I took it to the track today and everything felt better. I'm sure an after market exhaust system would be even better, but for those of you not wanting to spend 400-900 dollars this is a great improvement.

On the track there was a 2010 KX450 and the sound was about the same, even a YZ450 with FMF full system sounded just like mine.

So, there it is, now I get to use the OEM Ti header + shorty exhaust (which I think looks cool) with no restrictions, and the bike is just great. :excuseme:

Cheers :bonk:

MS

• harrperf

Posted November 21, 2009 - 03:17 PM

I think if someone (like you did) just used a normal core in this muffler, the system would perform as good as most aftermarket systems.

But it's LOUD!

• Kalar01

Posted November 21, 2009 - 03:20 PM

I removed the first cone and noticed a small change in mid range power with very little change in sound. Then I removed both cones and added a quiet core spark arrestor. This combo added more power than stock and it is a little quieter. This is perfect for me I ride mostly trails... so for 20 bucks and a little welding I have a sparkie and a quiet core...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • salasmauricio

Posted November 21, 2009 - 03:52 PM

I think if someone (like you did) just used a normal core in this muffler, the system would perform as good as most aftermarket systems.

But it's LOUD!

Yes it's loud, but not even close to what I thought it would be, it sounds actually very nice, maybe not 96dB but definitely it's worth a try, there's no reason to leave those inner cones in there.

• bump530

Posted January 08, 2010 - 12:35 PM

so what all would be involved in doin this? anyone have pictures?

• salasmauricio

Posted January 08, 2010 - 02:45 PM

sorry I don't have any pictures of the cones removed, but even though I have a spare 2007 muffler I decided to keep the short 2008 on my bike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.