Help! New XR650R

30 replies to this topic
  • TommyA

Posted April 29, 2003 - 09:55 AM

Okay, I really thought of not posting this, but you have all been so helpful in offering advice. Took the bike to the dealer today and felt like a complete idiot.
What was wrong? Don't ride with the choke on! I won't even try to justify why...let the inundation of flames begin! :D
The good news is I have a great running BRP now! :)

• Rokatt88

Posted April 29, 2003 - 10:11 AM

:D :D :D :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I think we should change your TT Handle to "Choke"! :D :)

• TommyA

Posted April 29, 2003 - 11:48 AM

Choke :)
It would be well deserved!

• needsprayer

Posted April 29, 2003 - 01:50 PM

You have now graduated to BRP apprentice Level 1.5 :)

You are required to have an Avatar at this level. :D

• qadsan

Posted April 29, 2003 - 03:41 PM

Glad to hear it was something simple :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpdup

Posted April 29, 2003 - 04:12 PM

Did you grease the muffler bearings and make sure your tires have summer air? You coulda had some winter air, I heard from the blue boys this could be bad.

• Portland_650R

Posted April 29, 2003 - 04:15 PM

:D I went from an old clapped-out XR200 to a new 250 - Had something similar happen... because the choke lever function was REVERSED on the two bikes! Instinctively, I reached down as the bike warmed up, and PUT THE CHOKE ON!

• TommyA

Posted April 29, 2003 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for not being too mean. :D

Muffler bearings, eh? :) And from a fellow Austinite...

I felt so stupid when they told me what it was, yet I was very relieved that it was something so simple. It runs good now, but once it's uncorked... :D

• Rokatt88

Posted April 30, 2003 - 05:12 AM

Hey "Choke", I give you Major Props :) for nutting it up and following through with the thread. As you can see...Us Riders of the Big Red Pig are a good bunch :D

Now...let me tell you how to port and torque those muffler bearings! :D

• TommyA

Posted April 30, 2003 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Rokatt88! This is a really good forum with great people.

I'm about to get a 2" hole saw and lose the muffler bearings. :)

• smashinz2002

Posted May 02, 2003 - 06:21 PM

Hi. Make sure you're not running the bike with the choke on. Even having it in the middle position will cause it run really bad after it's warmed up.
As far as the engine noise goes; uncork the bike! That way, you won't be able to hear the engine noise, and therefore won't be worried about it. The engines are mechanically very noisy, with clacking in the middle rpm's being most obvious under a load. The noise reverberates through the gas tank and aluminum frame like crazy. Also keep in mind that the crankshaft runs in less of an oil bath than previous XR engines (new design) to eliminate a lot of the oil drag on the crankshaft. The magneto also runs dry. These are also factors in causing more noise. It's not a problem. Enjoy your bike!

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.