please help!!! wr426f timing question??

13 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted November 20, 2009 - 05:29 PM

i got my wr426f timed up and from what i know it should have 13 pins between the 12 o clock marks. got it line up alight with 13 pins and then put cam caps and tensioner on any the timing looked off by 1 or two teeth. if i line the cams up with the surface of the head without the tensioner on they have 12 pins between them and look perfect should i just try it with the 12 pins and see if it wors. i know there should be 12 pins between the top marks on the cams for yz timing but i didnt think that it would have the marks lining up perfect and the lobes looking almost exactly in the same position. help greatly appreciated i need to get the bike back running!!:excuseme: im trying to post pics but my camras not working.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 20, 2009 - 05:40 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

• tribalbc

Posted November 20, 2009 - 06:03 PM

Looks perfect to me.
As Grayracer always says the cam dot alignment is the important part, not the pin count, it's just a cross reference.
But marks line up and pin count is good so I'd say :excuseme:

Put the tensioner in and rotate through the crank a couple times to double check they line up.

• tribalbc

Posted November 20, 2009 - 06:06 PM

Rereading your post I'll add.
When you put the tensioner on the exhaust cam will probably rotate toward the intake a bit and not look so perfect.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 21, 2009 - 08:44 AM

got the cam caps and tensioner on now. here is what it looks like at tdc. does it look like yz timing or wr? thanks alot for the help. if you think it looks good im going to put the valve cover on and some oil in the bike and hope she starts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• tribalbc

Posted November 21, 2009 - 09:13 AM

Looks like you have the YZ timing. You noticed the exhaust cam mark turned a little more towards the intake with the tensioner on. Rotate it around to TDC a couple times and if all still lines up then I'd say close her up and fire her up.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 21, 2009 - 01:53 PM

rotated it and it stayed the same. got valve cover on but im having a hard time remembering how the breather hose on it was postitioned. is it suppose to to the radiator?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bakeyz426f

Posted November 21, 2009 - 02:03 PM

never mind i figured it out

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 21, 2009 - 03:08 PM

got it running and took it for a ride. it revs faster and i was able to do a third gear wheelie. bad news is it has developed a ticking noise. souds like there is more noise than before. im a little scared to ride it now because it started ticking after i shut down the engine. it was still ticking when i went inside!!! i did get the engine very hot though because i left the choke on by mistake the first lap around the block. anybody know why its ticking. do you think i need to take it apart again? the ticking while running isnt real bad but it is noticable.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 21, 2009 - 04:01 PM

also i forgot to put on the engine mounts on the head would that account for any noise?

• tribalbc

Posted November 21, 2009 - 04:44 PM

got it running and took it for a ride. it revs faster and i was able to do a third gear wheelie. bad news is it has developed a ticking noise. souds like there is more noise than before. im a little scared to ride it now because it started ticking after i shut down the engine. it was still ticking when i went inside!!! i did get the engine very hot though because i left the choke on by mistake the first lap around the block. anybody know why its ticking. do you think i need to take it apart again? the ticking while running isnt real bad but it is noticable.

Ticking when the engine was shut down????
A rythmic ticking or random?

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 21, 2009 - 11:01 PM

it seemed to tick every couple seconds and while the engines idling u can hear a countinuous noise that seems less noticable at high rpms. didnt hear that noise before i changed timing. would having the engine mounts off the head cause any noise?

• tribalbc

Posted November 22, 2009 - 04:59 PM

I can't say on the engine mounts.
Did you put them on and try again?

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 30, 2009 - 09:27 AM

somethings not right. it pukes out alot of oil from the hole on the side of the head and the breather tube. would having too much oil in the engine cause it to run bad and leak more than normal amounts of oil from these spots?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.