Throttle Limiter

20 replies to this topic
  • 6StringGeek

Posted November 19, 2009 - 07:02 PM

I am trying to dumb down my kid's trials bike as it just has too much power for her skill level and I want to put a cap on how much twist she can get. Do they make throttle limiters for trials bikes...or is there another way I can do it?

We had some whiskey throttle awhile back that resulted in a good crash and now she's understandably nervous about getting back on. Until the nerves subside and the basics look better I want to make it a little more tame.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• kaos

Posted November 19, 2009 - 07:46 PM

i'd think it would be eay to adapt the throttle tube assy's of bikes like a pw50 etc.they usually have adjustable stops

• ccullins

Posted November 19, 2009 - 11:09 PM

What kind of bike? My 5 year old had a scary crash on his Sherco 50 when he grabbed too much going down a hill. I geared the bike way down. Now it's speed is slow, but it still goes when he gives it throttle. I've used throttle limiters on other bikes (PW 50) and they're terrible. If you limit the top speed enough they won't go up even the smallest hills.

• 6StringGeek

Posted November 20, 2009 - 05:24 AM

It's a gasgas txt 125. The limit will only be temporary til she gets the basics down a little more. Most of the practice will be circles/figure eights etc. Thanks to both of you for responding.

• laser17

Posted November 20, 2009 - 06:36 AM

For teaching someone to use the clutch and to turn, just remove the throttle cable from the housing, and turn up the idle speed. I use this primarily for rank beginners, or kids until they really get the clutch control down.

I dont know of a "STD" throttle with a limiter and will fit. I started thinking you could drill and tap a hole in the throttle pully housing at the 1/3 or mid way pull point, but think that the plastic may not be stiff enough to support a stop screw in a wiskey throttle situation. Could jam and be really bad. Another idea Ive toy'd with in the past (Interpret as a possible dumb thought) was to put a piece of stiff tubing in the top of the carb and prevent the slide from comming up all the way. (tubing would allow the cable to run through it) You could cut it down as you go..You would have to size it to let the spring run on the outside. like I said, just an idea and Ive never done it, but since you asked...

I think your smart to make it as safe as possible. Some kids who have bad early experiences, tend to shy away from the sport. Go slow, Be patient.

• motovita

Posted November 20, 2009 - 07:16 AM

The low gearing is a much better option. A 125 needs to rev, and she needs to learn to use a throttle anyway.

• 6StringGeek

Posted November 20, 2009 - 07:23 AM

The low gearing is a much better option. A 125 needs to rev, and she needs to learn to use a throttle anyway.

She'll get there. For right now I just want her to work on slow figure 8s and circles, clutching etc. I don't imagine she'll need it more than a few months before she's ready to take it up a notch.

• Huskychuck

Posted November 20, 2009 - 07:48 AM

what i did on my kids bike,
drill a hole in the carb top, tap for threads, install a screw with lock nut long enough to limit the slide, adjust it were you like, and when the get good enough to handle the bike,
remove the long screw, and plug the hole with a short screw, and a bit of loctite.

• ThatsA5

Posted November 20, 2009 - 07:50 AM

She'll get there. For right now I just want her to work on slow figure 8s and circles, clutching etc. I don't imagine she'll need it more than a few months before she's ready to take it up a notch.

If this is the case IMO I would do as Laser suggests and remove the cable from the throttle and turn the idle up just a bit. You'll keep her safe and teach clutch control which in trials is very important.

• 6StringGeek

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:04 AM

Thanks all for the advice. Just have to figure out which one I can do with my limited mechanical skills!

• 2PLY

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:59 AM

Depending upon her size and age, you might consider an OSET 16 for awhile. It should not be difficult to sell when you are done and it has full control over the speed. the only draw-back is I think it has no clutch.... OR, for just plain fun, try a stunt double like this: :excuseme:

http://www.redrocket...--asterisk-.htm

• 6StringGeek

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:23 AM

Depending upon her size and age, you might consider an OSET 16 for awhile. It should not be difficult to sell when you are done and it has full control over the speed. the only draw-back is I think it has no clutch.... OR, for just plain fun, try a stunt double like this: :excuseme:

http://www.redrocket...--asterisk-.htm

She's a teenager...way too tall. My 6 year old son has the 36 volt Oset and loves it. I like it too...even thought I shouldn't ride it..but it's fun to wheelie through the house on it.

• Vespa

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:43 AM

I used to wrap some silver tape around both throttle grip and its housing - it allowed some limited motion (3mm which was enouch) and worked fine for my sister on my KTM 450.

• treehopper

Posted November 20, 2009 - 11:18 AM

A power limiting washer in the exhaust, like a pw80 has, would be easy. It is the same OD as the exhaust gasket, with a 3/8" hole drilled in it. It goes between the head pipe gasket and the exhaust port. I would start with 3/8" even though it is a 125 and not an 80, because it probably runs at lower rpm than a pw80. If you find 3/8 too small (if the bike won't rev high enough), the next step would be 1/2". This doubles the area of the hole. The next size up would be 9/16", and then 5/8"
Use a hardware store fender washer that is the correct OD because they are thin.

• 6StringGeek

Posted November 20, 2009 - 11:45 AM

A power limiting washer in the exhaust, like a pw80 has, would be easy. It is the same OD as the exhaust gasket, with a 3/8" hole drilled in it. It goes between the head pipe gasket and the exhaust port. I would start with 3/8" even though it is a 125 and not an 80, because it probably runs at lower rpm than a pw80. If you find 3/8 too small (if the bike won't rev high enough), the next step would be 1/2". This doubles the area of the hole. The next size up would be 9/16", and then 5/8"
Use a hardware store fender washer that is the correct OD because they are thin.

Thanks for the advice.

• Huskychuck

Posted November 20, 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thanks all for the advice. Just have to figure out which one I can do with my limited mechanical skills!

your welcome to bring the carb by, and ill be happy to modify it for free.

• Dan Williams

Posted November 20, 2009 - 02:42 PM

Pull the top off the carb and drop the slide. Stick a piece of fuel line over the cable between the top of the slide and the underside of the top of the carb. Cheap, effective and adjustable. Lets them get just a bit more throttle past the limit if they really twist hard but will stop the whiskey throttle.

• FESTER

Posted November 21, 2009 - 06:15 PM

this is getting stupid!!teach her how to f-en ride! its like driving a car for petes sake,black pedal on the right is gas?right grip thingy on a motorcycle is gas?kinda like driving ?

• Rock Rabbit

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:17 PM

this is getting stupid!!teach her how to f-en ride! its like driving a car for petes sake,black pedal on the right is gas?right grip thingy on a motorcycle is gas?kinda like driving ?

Well Fester, that's Really easy to say, not so easy to implement. :smirk: I'd rather spend some time limiting the chances of a wreck or even near wreck that takes away their confidence and prevents them from riding again. A bit of time and effort now will result in a lifetime of riding and liking it rather than a lifetime of being scared of riding and telling others how dangerous and difficult it is... I bet you teach kids to swim by throwing them into the deep end of the pool too! IT Does work or fail, but mostly fails! :bonk: All depends on your desired end result I guess. If you don't give a shit whether the person ever rides, yours is the method to us..if you want a life long riding partner, I think I'll follow some of the others advice. :foul: :excuseme:

• 6StringGeek

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:20 PM

In my driver's ed class the teacher had a brake of his own...and the throttle limiter is my brake while she learns...so I guess I am following your advice after all. :excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.