Hex key size for oil screen drain

11 replies to this topic
  • papagyo

Posted November 19, 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hi all,

Did a search and did not find specific info on what I am needing as well as asking the same thing over at KTMTalk with no response. Went to change oil for the first time last night to find I did not have correct size hex key for the oil screen on the bottom of the engine. Any ideas what the size is..I am thinking 12mm. Also this has probably been beaten to death but I am reading 1.3l for change and manual says 1.35l, which is it. Final question is how important is it to remove the oil screen with every change? Thanks in advance.

oh yeah, bike is 2008 450SXF

Brian

• Bullitt4110

Posted November 19, 2009 - 06:48 PM

I think its a 8mm (could be a 10mm at most) and its super easy to clean the screens, just pull them out a spray some air through them. Dont over tighten that allen plug as they are known to strip really easily, Zip-Ty racing makes a heax head steal plug that you buy to replace it. Also if the 450's are like my 250 there is a drain plug on the back of the motor and then two other bolts where the screens are.

• Throttlejockey

Posted November 19, 2009 - 06:58 PM

Do yourself a favor and ditch the stock allen head plug and get a hex head plug when you take it out. There's been lots of problems with those plugs.

• papagyo

Posted November 19, 2009 - 07:04 PM

Thanks guys,

But it is bigger than 10mm as I have one of those and it is too small, are we talking about the same bike? I know the XCF or something has the 8mm one. This bike is a SXF (RF4 engine) 450. Thanks.

Brian

• Mike in Fresno

Posted November 19, 2009 - 07:34 PM

first to remove that plug be sure to hit it with a socket to relieve the tension as these are known to strip and get stuck. Dont know the size. The filters should be changed every two oil changes and the screens cleaned/checked every 4th oil change.

• cacka_lacka

Posted November 20, 2009 - 12:30 AM

I'm fairly sure it's a 12mm. Mike is right, you do want to tap it few times to "loosen" it.

As for removing the oil screen every time, I guess it depends. In order to get as much oil out as possible, you need to remove the oil screen plug. Some people think it's necessary to get ALL the old oil out, some don't. I personally don't remove the oil screen plug (and hence the oil screen) every time I change my oil. This is due to me being lazy and not wanting to take my skid plate off all the time. If I didn't have a skid plate, I would probably remove the plug to get all the oil out and clean the screen while I'm at it too.

The manual calls for 1.3L of oil. I usually put in about 1L, start the bike and let it run for about a minute, then top off what is needed according to the sight glass. This is probably not the "correct" way to do it, but it works pretty well for me.

My oil schedule (only trail ridden, never raced, i.e. "easy" hours):

Change oil: 10 hrs
Change oil filter: Every 3 oil changes
Clean screen: Every 3 oil changes

:excuseme:

• eastreich

Posted November 20, 2009 - 02:34 AM

It is 12mm.

Tapping it helps, as does having the cases warmed up.

• Havingfun

Posted November 20, 2009 - 07:21 AM

I changed my oil to last night too, which lead me on a search to find a tool to get the plug out. I ended up using a large torx bit which fit tight, need to find the correct allen, preferably a socket allen. 12mm sounds close I never check it was getting to dark.

In u.s., I know it is bigger than 3/8 socket driver and smaller than 1/2 driver. Seems like ktm would include a oil plug wrench, I thought maybe my wrench was left out.

• BASSic

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:44 AM

Autozone sells a 3 pack of hex head drivers that fit on a 1/2 drive ratchet. One of them (12mm?) fits the oil drain plug and another fits the plug in the ignition cover. I went to three different hardware stores and was getting very frustrated looking for these as no one seems to carry them but autozone saved my day.

• Havingfun

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:46 AM

thanks, will head to autozone after work!

Autozone sells a 3 pack of hex head drivers that fit on a 1/2 drive ratchet. One of them (12mm?) fits the oil drain plug and another fits the plug in the ignition cover. I went to three different hardware stores and was getting very frustrated looking for these as no one seems to carry them but autozone saved my day.

• papagyo

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for all the info, I will be picking up a set of these. Wondering why my manual for sure says 1.35l of oil...which I put in and for sure it is too much as the sight glass is completely filled. I guess I will drain a bit out maybe 100cc and see how it looks. Thanks again guys.

Brian

• Mike in Fresno

Posted November 20, 2009 - 05:25 PM

there is ALWAYS some oil left in there so only use 1 qt back in there and wait til the next day to see the level.

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 450 SX-F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 450 SX-F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2014 KTM 350xc back fires on deceleration by NKYdirty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  37 replies
Forums
Photo

KTM 250XCF or XCFW vs Honda 250X vs Yamaha WR250F by heavenstrails

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 12 replies
Reviews

KTM 350 SX-F 2014 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 350 SX-F 2014
  • 1 review
  • Last review by MAX146
  • On August 06, 2014
Forums
Photo

Why are XCF's so rare? by heavenstrails

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.