Transmission Lock-Up

31 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2009 - 03:43 PM

...I'm really tired of hearing that this don't hurt the bike ...

Guess what: It don't hurt. :excuseme:

I have repaired hundreds of transmissions since 1966, but in that time, broken not a single one.

• MIKE ANIMAL

Posted November 24, 2009 - 05:03 PM

Guess what: It don't hurt. :excuseme:

I have repaired hundreds of transmissions since 1966, but in that time, broken not a single one.

tell that to my nephew with a severe neck injurie from this from doing this he herd it make him faster in a corner. he read this in a chat or form on dirt rider magazine chat room he may never walk agin. his traney locked up in the air on a 65 foot double he is 14 years old. if this dose not happen you must be blind and def. maby you need to go read some of thes posts. of traneys that lock up. and what did it. thanks for nothing

Edited by MIKE ANIMAL, November 24, 2009 - 05:48 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2009 - 08:18 PM

Well, while I empathize with your nephew's plight, the simple fact is that unless the trans locked immediately during a clutchless shift, you have no proof that that was the cause at all, unfortunately.

The majority of the time, dirt bike transmissions break due to the rear wheel separating from the ground under power, and other similar slamming and banging.

And you really need to get past all the personal disparagement.

• MIKE ANIMAL

Posted November 24, 2009 - 09:40 PM

Please don't call people names, that's just dumb.

this was not ment for you. you are one of the luckey ones. its good that when this happend to you. you dident go down. that mesage was for all those that tells every one that this is ok to shift with no clutch.

• MIKE ANIMAL

Posted November 24, 2009 - 09:52 PM

Well, while I empathize with your nephew's plight, the simple fact is that unless the trans locked immediately during a clutchless shift, you have no proof that that was the cause at all, unfortunately.

The majority of the time, dirt bike transmissions break due to the rear wheel separating from the ground under power, and other similar slamming and banging.

And you really need to get past all the personal disparagement.

and yes it did as soon as he shifted up. he said the bike shut off and the front end droped fast.

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2009 - 11:47 PM

his traney locked up in the air on a 65 foot double

and yes it did as soon as he shifted up. he said the bike shut off and the front end droped fast.

Your story's changing.

I don't suppose it occurred to anyone before hand that jumping a 65 foot double at all might be an inherently dangerous thing for a 14 year old to undertake. People have been seriously injured on such obstacles as a result of any number of things; sloppy style, ignition failures, blocked gas tank vents, missed shifts, bearing seizures, ad infinitum. If the trans had failed with the wheels on the ground, or over a more reasonably designed jump, the damage would very probably have been a great deal less serious. You can blame it on shifting without the clutch if it makes you feel better, but frankly, you haven't made your case.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MIKE ANIMAL

Posted November 25, 2009 - 12:08 AM

Your story's changing.

I don't suppose it occurred to anyone before hand that jumping a 65 foot double at all might be an inherently dangerous thing for a 14 year old to undertake. People have been seriously injured on such obstacles as a result of any number of things; sloppy style, ignition failures, blocked gas tank vents, missed shifts, bearing seizures, ad infinitum. If the trans had failed with the wheels on the ground, or over a more reasonably designed jump, the damage would very probably have been a great deal less serious. You can blame it on shifting without the clutch if it makes you feel better, but frankly, you haven't made your case.

i wish you was in my reach when saying this. and yes you are right a dangerous thing for a 14 year old to do. but he did. and having balls did not do this to him. bad info did. this boy was doing back flips at 10 or 11. now look at him. kids thes days dont here the strategy behind this all they here is faster. and it is realy sad you would get on here and say things like this. that the traney will not do this. and i hope me copping all this and to other threads will help her case aginst dirt rider magazine. a 10 year old can set up an e mail adress. and that is all you need to get on a web site like this. now this is me being responsible...... thanks for pointing that out to me.

Edited by MIKE ANIMAL, November 25, 2009 - 12:49 AM.

• rufusz

Posted November 25, 2009 - 03:49 AM

And why not?

Yes, you're absolutely right, I wanted to simplify "current type of dirtbike trans without synch and with constant mesh".

anyone that shifts without useing their clutch is a dumb*** and deserves everything that happens to their bikes.

What I wanted to add :
When the lugs "move" into a gear (regardless if you used the clutch or not), there is a free play between the lugs and the engaged gear. When you release the clutch (and suppose accelerate in the same moment) there will be a shock between the lugs and the gear, when the crank will start applying force (torque) to the trans and accelerating/decelarting the output shaft. If you don't use the clutch, this shock will happen before the lugs are completely inside the gear. If you don't do it properly (for ex. you don't roll back the throttle at all) first it will be harder to disengage the current gear due to the negative cutting on the lugs. Second when you slam it into the other gear (due to the fact that the throttle wide open and the crank revving) possibly the lugs will hit the gears a couple of times before they can fully engage. But with rolling the throttle back for a moment, the force that the crank exercises over the trans is minimal (engine is slowing down).

i wish you was in my reach when saying this. and yes you are right a dangerous thing for a 14 year old to do. ... and it is realy sad you would get on here and say things like this. that the traney will not do this. and i hope me copping all this and to other threads will help her case aginst dirt rider magazine. a 10 year old can set up an e mail adress. and that is all you need to get on a web site like this. now this is me being responsible...... thanks for pointing that out to me.

/OFF
First sorry for your kid. But secondly, how come you blame people who post information (regardless if it is true or not) on forums for what happened??? If I say on a forum that you should jump from the 10th story of a building without parachute and you won't die and you jump...sorry, that's your fault. That your kids reads this and jumps that's again your fault. And blaming other people is just plain stupid from you as is the current society trying to blame other people for the stupidity that some others do (not pointing in this case at you or at your kid). Modern society tries to make everything fool-proof. No! It's wrong, people should use their minds and think before they do stuff. I don't want to buy an oven with protective fence around it, I will teach my child not to play with it. Hope you get the point, sorry for the off.
/ON

• tribalbc

Posted November 25, 2009 - 06:36 AM

i wish you was in my reach when saying this. and yes you are right a dangerous thing for a 14 year old to do. but he did. and having balls did not do this to him. bad info did. this boy was doing back flips at 10 or 11. now look at him. kids thes days dont here the strategy behind this all they here is faster. and it is realy sad you would get on here and say things like this. that the traney will not do this. and i hope me copping all this and to other threads will help her case aginst dirt rider magazine. a 10 year old can set up an e mail adress. and that is all you need to get on a web site like this. now this is me being responsible...... thanks for pointing that out to me.

That really, really sucks what happened.
BUT, to blame the internet and clutchless shifts :excuseme:
How many clutchless shifts did he do? And then it just locked up mid air while in gear?
I've done thousands of clutchless shifts in my 30+ yrs of riding bikes. I don't do it all the time, but when the situation calls for it. Never had a tranny lock up.....
There are lots of things that can go wrong with a dirt bike including operater error, it's a dangerous sport, we all know. That said it's a dangerous activity that deserves respect so when we make the choice to do it WE are responsible for our own actions. You can't be blaming the internet, friends, strangers for what happens to YOU!!! You're the one on the bike twisting the throttle and making the final call what you do. It's all YOU.

• ncampion

Posted November 25, 2009 - 06:48 AM

Another Dumb*** here. There are hundreds if not thousands of dirt bikes and street bikes running around with Rekluse and RevLoc clutches in them. Every shift (both up and down) made with one of these bikes is "clutchless" e.g. the clutch is not disengaged during the shift. If there were trans failures due to these clutches I'm sure we would be hearing about them as they have been around for almost 10 years now. Transmission abuse causes transmission failure, not proper clutchless shifting.

• redhurricane

Posted November 25, 2009 - 07:22 AM

First off, sorry someone got hurt. I don't think anyone here is wishing ill will on the boy.

Second, I can't say I am impressed by your threats of intent to harm.

As it's been said already, motorcycles are a risky hobby. backflips are possibly more risky than putting around in a parking lot. MAYBE, just MAYBE parental guidance (and a little common sense) could have prevented this accident. Then again, maybe not. Sooner or later gravity will ALWAYS win.

My kids don't do backflips. That's just me, my parenting style. I'm not going to pack them in a bubble their whole life, but certain things are not worth the risk to me. I'm also not going to sue people based on the belief that "because someone said it was ok" it must BE ok.

• Diabs

Posted November 25, 2009 - 07:37 AM

The part that bothers me with how this thread went bad....

If you blame someone for selling a bike thats not 100%, or you feel the bike sold is somewhat hazardous due to not using a clutch or whatever reason....

The only dumbass would be the person who bought the bike and didn't strip it down to make sure it was 100% to begin with.

But, really, the moment you throw your leg over the seat of a dirtbike you are basically living on the edge. Ther are way too many variables to make a dirtbike not hurt ya. But the only way to make sure you don't, is you! Period.

Whether it be bike maintance or riding style or going off 40 -60 ft table jumps, dirtbikes have risk painted all over them.

Sorry to hear about you nephew, thats not cool and it down right sucks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.