Renthal Twinring wear?

47 replies to this topic
  • geshields

Posted November 18, 2009 - 09:17 AM

I just changed out my Ironman 49 tooth sprocket to a 50 tooth Twinring sprocket about 2 rides ago. Chain is a DID 520VM with no noticeable stretch(has about 25 hrs on it). I did not replace the chain at this time because there was no stretch from the chain. My Twinring sprocket looks horrible after around 2 hours and 2 rides on it. The chain has worn grooves into the steel part and the back sides of the teeth are starting to push outward. Sort of like peening. Everything is aligned. I find it hard to believe that it can be this bad this quickly. It is wearing worse than a cheap aluminum sprocket.

My ironman sprocket showed no noticeable wear and it has been on there for about 25 hours. Bike has 27.6 hrs on it. Stock chain and sprockets were replaced right after break in.

Opinions?

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:06 AM

The chain can be measured for "stretch" easily enough. Using a 6" vernier caliper, set it at 5.8", insert it between the chain rollers, and step down on the lower run of chain to bring the top run taut. Measure the distance between the rollers. A new 520 will measure 5.85", and it should not exceed 6". I replace them as they get to 5.95". Be sure to measure several different sections.

If you haven't got a caliper, have someone help you measure center to center over 31 pins. New, that should be 18.75", at the 2% limit, that's 19.125" (19 1/8)

If the teeth are pulling out, and not forward, it may be a rear wheel alignment issue.

• geshields

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:13 AM

I will check that when I get back home. The chain is leaving a notch on the lower back side of the teeth and it is also pushing outwards on the front and back of the sprocket evenly. Almost like the chain is acting like a hammer hitting soft metal would do.

Just so I am clear also, back side of the teeth is the part the chain pulls on when riding.....

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:17 AM

Just so I am clear also, back side of the teeth is the part the chain pulls on when riding.....

"Drive side" :excuseme: The other face is the "coast side".

Either way, it sounds like something I'd be less than impressed with.

• Beerad

Posted November 19, 2009 - 10:44 AM

X2 on the chain, it should be replaced at the same time since even a "slightly" worn chain can cause a new sprocket to go very quickly.

• cablemonkey334

Posted November 19, 2009 - 03:54 PM

I put one on my 450 with a new chain an after 5 rides it show signs of wear already , not to impressed with the sprocket. The ragina chain is haggin in there.

• geshields

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:46 AM

Ok...here are some pics and measurements...

By the caliper method, I was getting readings of 5.88".

By measuring from the center of pins over a 31 pin span, I was getting 18.78" or 18 25/32". The chain has only stretched a 1/32 of an inch over the 31 pin span which would relate to my only having to adjust the chain 1 time since new....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:59 AM

Judging by the material rollover ("mushrooming") at the edges of the worn area, the metal looks unserviceably soft to me.

• geshields

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:52 AM

I agree...and this is only after approx. 2 hours of use. I am awaiting a callback from Renthal...

• yz007f

Posted November 20, 2009 - 07:18 PM

WOW I wouldn't be impressed with that at all...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cablemonkey334

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:03 PM

mine did the same thing let me know what you find out.

• geshields

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:28 AM

I guess Renthal has a very small customer service dept. One person. I left a message yesterday mid-morning an tried numerous times throughout the day to get him. It was always his voicemail. Hopefully will hear back on Monday.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:30 AM

opinion.....stay with Ironman Sprockets

• bendover932

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:32 AM

when i bought my 450 the previous owner had put a new regina rx3 chain and new sprockets on (twinring)... i got it with 0 hrs on them and i have maybe 5hrs on now and the rear has the same type of wear..but a little worse "rollover" on the side than yours...i absolutely would not purchase that sprocket and would advise any of my friends against it!

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2009 - 08:38 AM

When I bought my first '06 3 1/2 years ago, I immediately replaced the stock chain with a Regina ORN6. That chain and the stock sprockets lasted 2 years. I replaced it with another ORN6, a Pro Taper front, and a Tag aluminum rear, and it's still in great shape. To be fair, I have to point out that the bike did have an 8 month break while my son went through boot camp and MOS school, being ridden only twice in that time, but in the nearly a year that it has on that setup, the wear on the sprocket is minimal, and nothing at all like the Twinring shown.

My own bike, had two rides on the stock stuff when I bought it in September of '07. I replaced the chain at that time, again with an ORN6, and that chain has only now reached the point where I need to replace it. (It's only stretched about 1%, but it's starting to stiffen a bit) I could actually reuse the stock Sunstar rear for a while, but I don't plan to.

Unless you have seriously mis-measured that rear chain, there is absolutely no justification for any steel chain ring, or even an aluminum one, to wear like that so quickly.

• geshields

Posted November 24, 2009 - 11:34 AM

Just got off the phone with Brad in customer service. I got his e-mail and just fired off the pictures to him. I asked him what the process for this was and he said they would more than likely be sending me a RMA tag to send it back to them so they can test the hardness of it.

• crayztwentyseven

Posted November 24, 2009 - 11:10 PM

looks soft to me too. I would try to get a refund and get something else. i did what grey said too on my 07 before even riding changed out the stock chain and replaced with o-ring and I am still running stock sprockets with quite a few good rides on it, and my cheap sunstar looks better than that.

• fmv60691

Posted November 25, 2009 - 12:44 AM

I use Twinring on my race bike and regular JT steel sprockets in my practice bike. The quality of the steel in the Renthal is not as good as in the JT. It starts to wear very soon, even in a few hours, as you posted, but then remains like that for a long time. I always get more time from other steel sprockets, but I noticed the twinring wears faster at first then it stabilizes.

• DPW

Posted November 25, 2009 - 06:46 AM

opinion.....stay with Ironman Sprockets

agree....been using them since '05...:excuseme:

• matt4x4

Posted November 25, 2009 - 06:48 AM

We have never had good luck with ANY of Renthal's sprockets - PERIOD! Kind of funny how their bars tend to bend under half the force of Pro Tapers or Tag Metal bars and are generally also more expensive. I have stopped buying their products and have come to the conclusion that just because they manage to get their name on just about every swingarm sticker known to mankind, doesn't mean they make a good product.
Companies that don't spend millions on advertising tend to have more money to put into manufacturing better products.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.