pipe advice

6 replies to this topic
  • Mike_K

Posted August 27, 2000 - 07:21 AM

Is there a good "does it all" pipe out there?

• discopete

Posted August 27, 2000 - 08:43 AM

Originally posted by Mike K:

• discopete

Posted August 27, 2000 - 08:46 AM

mike, i have found that the stock pipe is just about as good as it gets unless you need a spark arresstor, or a lower decibel.the substantial gains are more or less in weight savings.

discopete

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Derwood

Posted August 27, 2000 - 12:35 PM

If you have a 98-00 YZF. You gain access to the oil filter if you replace the pipe. The biggest benefit you get from replacing your pipe is, "adding cash to someones pocket." If you decide to keep the stock pipe, someone on this page offers a cool add on spark arrestor.

------------------
Derwood, traped in IL. I'v escaped! I'm heading back to Cali and beautiful Jawbone and Glamis......
99YZ400

• Derwood

Posted August 27, 2000 - 12:43 PM

Also, most Aftermarket units seem to be louder then stock silencer.

------------------
Derwood,
trapped in IL.
I've escaped! I'm heading back to Cali and beautiful Jawbone and Glamis......
99YZ400

• JPNTHUMP

Posted August 27, 2000 - 02:23 PM

I'd hold off and wait for everyone to start buying pipes for their 2001 bikes. You can most likely find people selling their stock pipes. The headpipe clears the oil filter on the 2001's. Aftermarket pipes are not signifigantly better than the stock pipes. Actually horsepower numbers go down. Unless your trying to make a certain area a little hotter (Ie: Low end, or midrange punch). No pipe yet out screams the stockers top end that I've read about. There has been more than one pipe shootout in the mags lately. They sort of single out the DSP as the best but the most bang for your buck would most likely be the pro Circuit with the changeable exhaust tips(Even though the tips cost too much). Remember who's testing those things too. Not too many people really know how to tap into those extra few ponies. You might not even be able to notice a difference. I ride a 400, but when I get on the 426, I can only feel the difference for about the first 50 feet. Then I forget about it because I'm too busy riding to notice a difference. I'm only as fast as I am, not as fast as the bike is. And as for saving a few preciouse ounces, save your money. As soon as you bolt it on the bike, you add the weight of the bike to the weight of the pipe. If you think you can feel those few ounces, then you problobly couldn't sleep with a pea under you matress either. Do you actually think by adding a $200 carbon fiber ignition cover, the 3 Oz. weight difference is gonna make someone faster? I didn't think so. If you want to improove your riding. Practice everyday. Don't let them fool you out of your money. If your not a pro, save your money for when you break your bike. If you break your pipe, then go buy one. Everyone wants the "cool" stuff.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 27, 2000 - 03:57 PM

Mike;great question as I was asking the same thing. I recently bought a very clean 98/400 with a stock and FMF PowerCore4 silencer but I needed a spark arrester for woods riding. FMF makes a cool little stainless steel screen for the "power core silencer" that works like a "Sparky" but fits in the end of the FMF end cap. About $20. They also make an end cap with the "US Forest Service approved" label which also makes taking the screen in and out easier.About another $50. This does nothing for the noise level issues though but I have found it to be a convienent way to get an occasional spark arrester from an otherwise normal FMF silencer. Just after I bought this FMF goody a friend of mine told me about a conversion kit to make the stock muffler both a spark arrester and sound level adjustable, similar to a White Brothers E Series pipe. The info on that is somewhere in this site but I think it is in the WR 400 pages. Look around the WR 400 pages for exaust mods(yes it's for the YZ).If I run across it I will get back to you. This would seem to be the exaust nervana you are looking for. What ever you do don't go too far from this site. There are some way cool people hangin' here that seem to know everything!

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.