My 450 is not firing.. any ideas?

12 replies to this topic
  • k2pow

Posted November 17, 2009 - 06:26 PM

So I am getting spark through a brand new plug, it's wet with gas, ign on, choke out gas turned on. Battery fully charged and it's not even cracking? I am new to the bike thing and using my race car basics to diagnose but having issues. Any clues?

Kenneth
Van Nuys Ca
k2pow@yahoo.com

• WR_Dave

Posted November 18, 2009 - 02:31 AM

Are you following the proper start procedure, are your valves set correctly, is the bike new to you, how is the jetting, is your air filter totally plugged, did you forget a rag in the intake, did you just do some work on the bike, was it running well then this suddenly popped up? If the bike is new to you "do not" touch the throttle when starting as when these engines flood I hear they can be a real pain to start, mine works great every time. Anything else I may have missed at this early hour fellow TT'rs? -- WR Dave

• phynx

Posted November 18, 2009 - 12:22 PM

Are you following the proper start procedure, are your valves set correctly, is the bike new to you, how is the jetting, is your air filter totally plugged, did you forget a rag in the intake, did you just do some work on the bike, was it running well then this suddenly popped up? If the bike is new to you "do not" touch the throttle when starting as when these engines flood I hear they can be a real pain to start, mine works great every time. Anything else I may have missed at this early hour fellow TT'rs? -- WR Dave

After that, check to see if there is spark in that coil. That takes a minute..

• WR_Dave

Posted November 18, 2009 - 03:39 PM

So I am getting spark through a brand new plug,

Unless I didn't understand , I thought he already covered that point. :excuseme: WR Dave

• yz-dwg

Posted November 18, 2009 - 04:08 PM

have you tried to kick start it?

• k2pow

Posted November 19, 2009 - 09:43 AM

I ride the bike at various altitudes. Last time I rode it, it ran out of gas and I had to get a lift. Since then, I have started it a few times in the garage, once by battery and the rest from kick. No rag in intake, no plug in exhaust, Changed plug and I do have a spark, yes I added gas back to the tank. The battery died from attempting to start so I have a charger on it, starter turning over good. I do hear a blip when I twist the throttle but no love.,

I have never had an issue but maybe I am not following the proper starting sequence. What is the proper way? I ve always pulled choke, turned on ign and pushed the button and throttle and fire right up. So frustrating when I need it to start to possibly sell before the new year for crappy financial issues.

Thanks again in advance

Kenneth

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phynx

Posted November 19, 2009 - 11:12 AM

I would go through that carb. I recently had the same thing that happen to my girls bike. It was running great to zilch. I took the carb out, and when I unscrewed the float bowl, the main jet just feel out.. I was like "***!"

• k2pow

Posted November 19, 2009 - 12:20 PM

geeze, that's not the solution I was looking for but is a possibility. Still tinkered on it this am and no change.

WTH?

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 19, 2009 - 01:51 PM

I ride the bike at various altitudes. Last time I rode it, it ran out of gas and I had to get a lift. Since then, I have started it a few times in the garage, once by battery and the rest from kick. No rag in intake, no plug in exhaust, Changed plug and I do have a spark, yes I added gas back to the tank. The battery died from attempting to start so I have a charger on it, starter turning over good. I do hear a blip when I twist the throttle but no love.,

I have never had an issue but maybe I am not following the proper starting sequence. What is the proper way? I ve always pulled choke, turned on ign and pushed the button and throttle and fire right up. So frustrating when I need it to start to possibly sell before the new year for crappy financial issues.

Thanks again in advance

Kenneth

Sometimes when you run out of gas -- the bottom residue(dirt,plastic,etc) will get sucked into the carb -- take the carb apart and clean it properly!! also check to see if you have free running gas from the petcock!!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2009 - 08:17 PM

Plug is wet? Not a fuel delivery problem.
Probably a fuel atomization problem.
I would bet your pilot jet is clogged from running down to the dirty part of your gas.

Pull the bowl cover, and remove the pilot jet. Hold it up to the light and you should see several small passages. They are probably partially clogged.

• k2pow

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:12 AM

OK. thank you for the suggestions about the carb. Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out.

Kenneth

• RomanianRacer

Posted November 23, 2009 - 04:20 PM

Check over the electrical system! Sounds like your bike is being cut-off if you can get a small blip out. Check CDI to be grounded right and is clean on area grounded to. I had my bike have a bunch of dirt stuck between the cdi and metal it was contacting for ground. Well I had spark, gas, clean carb and no start. I cleaned it up and boom! started right up and went riding. Check over small things that are usually passed up. Is your petcock on, when starting?

• k2pow

Posted November 29, 2009 - 01:56 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED. Long long story short the float stuck closed. Cleaned it out and made it move freely and issue solved. Fired up like a champ that it is. Just the sound of her firing up makes me take it off the for sale block.

Thank for all of your help. I greatly appreciate it..

Kenneth

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.