What to do with metal shavings?

2 replies to this topic
  • Dantek11

Posted November 17, 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hey Guys I just recently broke the clutch on my yz400 a piece of it chewed away at the case. There are a LOT of metal shavings in the oil where the clutch was. My question is can i just drain and replace the oil a few times? Do i need to completely dissassemble and clean each part individually? Thanks for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DRZ04

Posted November 17, 2009 - 09:07 PM

There are hundreds of nooks & crannies inside the engine to catch the metal, hide it out then let it free up & float around. Unfortunately the only real way to get it clean is to pull it down & split the cases. I have heard of people cleanng it up with diesel or kerosene but it is sketchy at best. You didn't say if it is aluminum or ferious metal from the clutch. Don't matter much still need to clean it out.

• Dantek11

Posted November 18, 2009 - 02:33 PM

The metal is from the case itself. Apparently the previous owner of the bike had made a modification to the clutch and that modification chewed on the case. So far i have put 4,000 into the bike for repairs and ridden it about 2 hours. Fun :excuseme: I don't see myself as having the technical abilities to tear it down and split the cases. So thats more shop hours.

Thanks for the help! I hope to get it done for the spring and finally enjoy my first 4 stroke.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.