kdx 200 or xr 200

18 replies to this topic
  • the xr dude

Posted November 16, 2009 - 12:52 PM

i ride a xr 100 im 5'6" 140 pounds do not ride tight stuff but no mx and need a headlight and taillght can only spend $1100 please let me know your 2 cents

• Wrfrk

Posted November 16, 2009 - 12:59 PM

KDX for sure....
lighter, more power and easier to work on.... granted the XR would need very little work

• juliend

Posted November 16, 2009 - 01:15 PM

How do you like the xr100? The KDX has a very linear power band for a 2 stroke, but it is still a 2 stroke. The twitchy throttle response might get you into trouble until you get used to it. the xr200 is obviously going to be very similar to your xr100, just more of it. It will also feel like a big ol pig compared to the KDX.

• the xr dude

Posted November 16, 2009 - 01:25 PM

i like the xr100 but i need more power and snap it would be cool if i could keep up whith my dads xr400:ride:

• the xr dude

Posted November 16, 2009 - 01:42 PM

will the kdx brake down more:confused:

• yamaha king 69

Posted November 16, 2009 - 01:47 PM

break down? if you treat it like you probably treat your xr, and just let it sit, then yes. you have to change the tranny oil and clean the filter and stuff

• mbosma

Posted November 16, 2009 - 01:48 PM

KDX hands down. It is nearly twice the bike as the XR200 - more reliable, easier maintenance, faster, lighter, will last longer, and be worth more when you sell it.

• the xr dude

Posted November 16, 2009 - 02:23 PM

break down? if you treat it like you probably treat your xr, and just let it sit, then yes. you have to change the tranny oil and clean the filter and stuff

let it sit:lol: i dont let it sit and i change the oil and stuff but im asking like mager fail:eek:

Edited by the xr dude, November 16, 2009 - 04:53 PM.

• the xr dude

Posted November 16, 2009 - 04:36 PM

my dad thinks i should get a 4 stroke but i like the light waight of the kdx is it easy to learn to ride a two stroke

• the xr dude

Posted November 16, 2009 - 04:54 PM

please help

• kid145

Posted November 16, 2009 - 04:59 PM

I've owned both. The KDX is better in almost every way. Trust me.

• SpED66

Posted November 16, 2009 - 05:45 PM

KDX hands down. It is nearly twice the bike as the XR200 - more reliable, easier maintenance, faster, lighter, will last longer, and be worth more when you sell it.

I don't usually step on other peoples posts... but I simply must fix the above.

more reliable WRONG - both are known for reliability, but XR's simplistic 4-stroke wins this battle over the long term.
easier maintenance DEAD WRONG.
faster Correct.
lighter Sort of correct - KDX will feel lighter, regardless of which one is actually heavier.
will last longer DEAD WRONG, unless you don't count rebuilds. I do.
and be worth more when you sell it. very likely - but depends on who's buying.

• kid145

Posted November 17, 2009 - 03:22 PM

I don't usually step on other peoples posts... but I simply must fix the above.

more reliable WRONG - both are known for reliability, but XR's simplistic 4-stroke wins this battle over the long term.
easier maintenance DEAD WRONG.
faster Correct.
lighter Sort of correct - KDX will feel lighter, regardless of which one is actually heavier.
will last longer DEAD WRONG, unless you don't count rebuilds. I do.
and be worth more when you sell it. very likely - but depends on who's buying.

The KDX feels WORLDS lighter, and is worth alot more when you go to sell it.
It also rides better, handles better, stops better, and can actually take a jump.

• SteveWR450F

Posted November 17, 2009 - 03:32 PM

Both great bikes. Both very reliable. Both will require some maintenance but the KDX will need just a little more - such as a fresh top end every year or so depending upon how often you ride.

But . . . the kdx is a very reliable bike. Its a very easy bike to ride. It will feel lighter and have more performance than the XR. Go to KDX Rider.net and read about how reliable the bike is.

• electriceel125

Posted November 18, 2009 - 07:50 AM

KDX is a mighty fine bike.

• the xr dude

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:55 AM

or xr250 or kdx220:banana::excuseme:

• Nighthawk016

Posted November 20, 2009 - 04:01 PM

the XR250 once again, known for reliability, it will pull you up just about anything with that 6 speed tranny, but, it is VERY top heavy. The KDX220, not known to be as reliable as the 200, i dont know why, the 200 weighs about 235 wet (full of everything including gas) the XR250 weighs about 260 wet and the 220 weighs about 240 wet. The KDX weights are estimates, i know the dry weight KDX220(223) and the KDX200(218). but the XR250 is about 240 dry, close to 260 wet, so the kdx's are close to that give or take a few pounds. If you do get the KDX, get the 200 from about '99 to '01, thats what is in your $1100 price range.

• TheGary

Posted November 20, 2009 - 04:21 PM

The kdx200 or 220 will stay with your dads 400 for the most part. In the wide open straights he might be a tad faster but everywhere else the KDX will kill him. If you do a few hundred in mods the kdx will pull the xr400.
I have a KDX220 and a DRZ400 up to about 50mph they are very close in acceleration but the 400 will pull away above 50mph. Both bikes are reliable but the kdx can grow with you power wise for quit a while. A pipe RB designs carb and head mods and a rad valve and you will have a killer bike that will rival most full race bikes in that cc range. Parts are inexpensive and plentifull. For a 2 stroke the KDX is probably the most 4 stoke like power you can get. Just be careful to get one that has been maintained. I would look for the 200 but if you find a 220 that is in good shape and in your price range it would not be a bad bike either. If you get a 220 put in a wisco piston asap and it will be as reliable as the 200's are. The only draw back would be your hight. At 5'6" it might be a little tall for you compared to the xr200. You need to sit on a KDX to be sure you will be ok with the hight.

• the xr dude

Posted January 06, 2010 - 11:06 AM

i got a 1999 xr200r for $950:ride::moon:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Who put a pond there? by ZDeWitt

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Sold the DRZ - got myself a berg instead.. by dark_knight

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Grahma Jarvis - Lengendary New by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Husqvarna   Husqvarna 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

different year plastics by YJB006

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  258 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.