slightly twisted

7 replies to this topic
  • MADDOG

Posted August 23, 2000 - 07:14 PM

Hey guys, I`ve been visiting this site for some time now, and it seems as though you have the answers to just about everything so I am hoping that can help with me my little problem. It seems like every time I have even the smallest crash, my forks twist in the triple clamps I checked and torqued everthing down to specs (even though it did`nt need it) and it still does the same damn thing. help me please MADDOG

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 23, 2000 - 08:29 PM

Dog stock triple clamps are cast aluminum and dont do the best job of gripping the tubes. Aftermarket clamps seem to help with the smaller get offs. Something has to give in the eventual major soil sample better to spin the tubes then to tweak something else. Thats all I got hope it helps; LATE

• MikeOK

Posted August 24, 2000 - 04:48 PM

They are designed to twist a bit. It is important to torque them to spec for this reason, especially the lower clamps...

Mike

• Hick

Posted August 25, 2000 - 05:46 AM

...but don't over-torque the pinch bolts, you could damage your fork tubes.

That would be bad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 25, 2000 - 11:03 AM

How are you getting the clamps back aligned? I used to have the same problem because I would twist the clamps in a crash and then smash the front wheel into a tree from the side to staighten the bars/clams. This works in a pinch but unless after the ride you loosen the fork clamps and triple clamp to take the pressure off the clamps will twist again in the smallest crash.
Hope this isn't usless info.

Jon

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 27, 2000 - 05:09 PM

Originally posted by jblain:
How are you getting the clamps back aligned? I used to have the same problem because I would twist the clamps in a crash and then smash the front wheel into a tree from the side to staighten the bars/clams. This works in a pinch but unless after the ride you loosen the fork clamps and triple clamp to take the pressure off the clamps will twist again in the smallest crash.
Hope this isn't usless info.

Jon

YOU ARE A TRUE DUDE! Sounds like what I would have done.

• MADDOG

Posted August 28, 2000 - 03:35 PM

Hi guys this is maddog i`m the IDIOT that posted "slightly twisted" on the board awhile back and here again to retract my question because i went to do some work on the 426 and just relized that i did`nt tighten the pinch bolts after i got done installing new rubber.thanks for the help anyway, maddog(aka idiot)

• JPNTHUMP

Posted August 28, 2000 - 06:45 PM

I guess "slightly twisted" wasn't simply describing your forks then..... :)

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.