Ride Report - 2010 YZ450

46 replies to this topic
  • saccityfire

Posted December 06, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Whaaaaaa! Yamaha doesn't have any power, Yamaha now has too much power...What a joke.

Please don't talk Yamaha into lowering the power output of what sounds like an awesome bike people.

Get one of those throttle tubes that Grant uses with an adjustable cam to lessen the pull of the throttle cable thus reducing the "instant onset" of power. Adding slack will just change the amount of throttle rotation until it "suddenly" has too much power.

Please use a heavy flow pad and tampon if the bike is too powerful for you or better yet, get a bike appropriate to your skill level!

OK, I feel better now.

• otoman131

Posted December 06, 2009 - 12:06 PM

at last got chance to ride with long waited 450.Bike feels light,shocks are great but big dissapointment is engine.Doesnt have power ,feels like riding a 250 4 stroke.Tested week before honda and suzuki both 450s and nothing to compare with.Specially liked suzy cuz that has power like anyone else and reacts as good as 2 stroker.
So for me was blue 450 2010 big dissapointment,hoped so much from this bike:(

• DPW

Posted December 06, 2009 - 12:10 PM

EFI made it so responsive and it had MASSIVE bottom end power. Allthough I was riding a sand track, I felt it was too much would even consider it a con. Too much power isn`t always good.

but big dissapointment is engine.Doesnt have power ,feels like riding a 250 4 stroke.

ahhh huh??? :banghead:

• Kasjok

Posted December 06, 2009 - 12:19 PM

Just to clear things up, I was meaning the bottom end power and to be more precise - the delivery of it. To each his own. From bottom on it felt rather linear and smooth like the Yamahas have been for the last years.

I haven`t had a chance to test new Honda and Suzuki so don`t t know how they compare.

I wasn`t disappointed, but again, it was nothing revolutionary.

• rider211

Posted December 06, 2009 - 12:54 PM

ahhh huh??? :banghead:

must not know how to ride in the rite gear, of course it dont have power if you try to take off in 5th gear:bonk: rode 1 and its a lil flater on top but not dead everywhere else is strong,and im a 215lb b rider... i need all the power i can get..lol

• rfox7

Posted December 06, 2009 - 02:54 PM

well done...

• racerxx276

Posted December 07, 2009 - 09:23 AM

So for me was blue 450 2010 big dissapointment,hoped so much from this bike:(

Oh Please! I raced my new YZ this w/e against a 2010 KTM450 and Kawi. I finished in front of them....They weren't pulling me on the straights...
I'll switch out the exhaust and see what it does for it too..

I've got several hrs on the KTM myself and know how good the motor is, but I'll take the YZ any day. The only draw back to the YZ is the gearing and the brakes. I'll switch out the rear sprocket to a 50 and life will be good!
Maybe I can figure out how to get some KTM brakes mounted on my YZ...(-;

• otoman131

Posted December 07, 2009 - 10:22 AM

What I ment was that bike didnt had top end with any gear,you cant ride with bottom end in deep sand.Maybe hoped too much from new yami but last 3 years havent found better stock 450 than yellow one,of course yami has better shocks but thats my opinion:)

• Ga426owner

Posted December 07, 2009 - 01:30 PM

here is my 1.75 cents of advice....
I don't think a sand track is a good place to test any new bike....and to come to any final conclusion on power or suspension or braking. :banghead:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 07, 2009 - 01:46 PM

here is my 1.75 cents of advice....
I don't think a sand track is a good place to test any new bike....and to come to any final conclusion on power or suspension or braking. :banghead:

tell 'em brother:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rider211

Posted December 07, 2009 - 07:29 PM

tell 'em brother:thumbsup:

no its not for the bike, and you dont use alot of top in the sand mostly bottom to mid,i race at southwick 10 15 times a yr and theres only 2 sections where you get on the top,and only 1 you realy use alota top but its so chopped out you couldnt get a true feeling out of it

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2009 - 11:34 PM

Southwick may be one thing, but Glen Helen is another matter altogether, and anyone who has ever ridden the dunes is laughing hysterically at the comment about not using top end power in sand. :banghead:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 08, 2009 - 06:46 AM

I'v only raced at a few sand trakcs and I know at these trakes you had to keep the power up cause if the power fell the sand would just lug the bike.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 08, 2009 - 07:07 AM

I'v only raced at a few sand trakcs and I know at these trakes you had to keep the power up cause if the power fell the sand would just lug the bike.

Not to mention the suspension is totally soaked up, and most of your body weight is on the rear of the bike to get the tires to bite and the front to float.....not a ideal place to test any new bike for anything other than to see what it does only in sand.
Power will be robbed...throttle will be twisted fully to go fast/faster
suspension will be plusher
everything will push in corners
Braking performance will be reduced

Sand tracks for riding/racing take a lot more rider effort to go fast and to ride in control, than Dirt tracks that are hardpack/loamy and with braking bumps
There is no way to give a fair account or review for the total 2010 pkg....on only a sand track.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 08, 2009 - 10:07 AM

And then you would have to have the proper tire on it in order for it to get traction. A wrong kind of tire on the sand will even make the suspension act funny. Like something is wrong.

I did that once just to see what a hardpack tire would do in the sand. It felt to me like there was no suspension much put a 765 on and man you could tell a difference then

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2009 - 01:50 PM

You should check your attitude. "Sand track" applies to both Southwick and Glen Helen, as well as any number of other places around the country, and sand is sand. It's still ludicrous to state the high rpm power isn't useful or necessary.

It may well not be an ideal testing ground for an MX bike, but it is something one encounters in real life, whether it's your favorite or not.

• paramedicmeyer

Posted December 09, 2009 - 12:32 AM

Anybody actually have a ride report?????

• Ga426owner

Posted December 09, 2009 - 06:22 AM

theres no point you wouldnt get it apperently,"sand isn't sand" anyone whos rode in more than one part of the country or anywhere understands that, and would never make an ignorant statement like that, as for encountering someone named sand i havent met him,"but it is -something- someone encounters in real life usualy"as for "me checking me" attitude i dont need to when someone gives me reason to have one :banghead:

Statements like this, is not going to help your cause Rider211: Remember who the moderator is? :cheers:

Back to riding reports - MXA did not rave about the 2010.....in fact they beat it up pretty hard

From MXA "Great Science Project but power was just not quite there"....again referring to a much needed pipe and sprocket change
one thing for sure the air filter replacement process looks to be very cumbersome....and the bike has more vibration and too much weight than previous models.

I do applaud them on their reasoning and logic on the following Cannondale article, after the yami test...and that they will be as brutal on the 2010 YZF450

• Skotten

Posted February 28, 2010 - 09:44 AM

Ok so now I am just a little bit nervous, I have bought a YZ450f 2010...

(Still waiting for it, should be next week but they said that last week.)

I have a CRF250F 04 at the moment, and felt it was a bit dull after having a CR250 from 93. So I thought I would go for a 450f because they are meant to be equivalent to a 250t.

Is this new bike going to bite me?? she sounds like a monster....

• Skotten

Posted February 28, 2010 - 09:45 AM

Forgot to say I ride sand tracks, thats why I wanted more hp

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.