Ride Report - 2010 YZ450

46 replies to this topic
  • gord955

Posted November 15, 2009 - 07:27 PM

First bike arrived in Alberta this week, since supply is short right now. Riverside Yamaha held a demo ride on the bike. The bike was just out of the box with no settings at all. Without question it's an impressive ride, very crisp, very fast. The bike feels light and turns great, I ride +50 Master and I felt it may be too much bike for me, however it would be interesting to try some different tuning settings before deciding that. The bike is super quick, acceleration can catch you off guard, very sensitive throttle, you twist and instant power. It felt very balanced, with some personal settings I think the bike can be dailed in pretty easy, would not reccomend the bike to a novice rider, it's definatly built for the experienced racer. Very cool, can't wait for my white one to arrive.:excuseme::thumbsup:

• ThreeOEight

Posted November 15, 2009 - 08:57 PM

Been riding mine here in Sask for the past few days. It is an impressive bike, so much better than last years. It corners so well, the front end sticks like crazy, never wants to wash out. Had an 09 out today to ride back to back and theres no comparision. Alot more bottom end power as well, and the bike definetly does not feel 8 pounds (or whatever it is) heavier.

• mediumfast

Posted November 15, 2009 - 09:24 PM

thanks for the reports. more bikes should be delivered this week.

• mxboy2661

Posted November 28, 2009 - 02:56 PM

i live in nj waiting for mine to come in any ideas when/

• AZcrRider

Posted November 28, 2009 - 04:02 PM

First bike arrived in Alberta this week, since supply is short right now. Riverside Yamaha held a demo ride on the bike. The bike was just out of the box with no settings at all. Without question it's an impressive ride, very crisp, very fast. The bike feels light and turns great, I ride +50 Master and I felt it may be too much bike for me, however it would be interesting to try some different tuning settings before deciding that. The bike is super quick, acceleration can catch you off guard, very sensitive throttle, you twist and instant power. It felt very balanced, with some personal settings I think the bike can be dailed in pretty easy, would not reccomend the bike to a novice rider, it's definatly built for the experienced racer. Very cool, can't wait for my white one to arrive.:excuseme::thumbsup:

Posted Image

I would agree.

Got to ride my friends bike today at Firebird MX in Phoenix, and was very impressed. Sag for him needed tightened a couple turns, and it was good to go. He is about 175-180.

Very quick throttle response, and great rear wheel hook up. Very balanced, and the suspension felt every bit as good as the '09 - a bit firmer possibly, but the suspension might have a little bit more break in time. We clicked up the rear H-C one click and slowed down the front rebound one click.

It turns very quick and will stay there if you don't raise the front wheel with too much throttle. A small blip will help you over shoot everything on the track.

Brakes, ergos, all very good. More "thump" compared to 07-09 versions, but still an electric metering of power. Alot of power down low, and if you want more you don't have to turn the throttle much more. A 1/4 inch will do. Giving it some more throttle free play is a good idea to start.

Less engine breaking than previous models, so going into a corner a little hot will require more brake / clutch action. This is not a vet beginner's lazy-riding 4 stroke, at least with the mapping in stock form. This bike, in stock form, will wear you a little quicker than the 09.

You have to kick the bike few times to "charge" it when cold, and then it starts right up. If it was just running, 1 or 2 kicks will do it. It has a cold start that makes a whistiling sound up front ( by the intake ) until it is shut off. No petcock. Don't blip the throttle when starting, I am told.

The bike feels a little heavy off the stand, but you have to get it over about 20 degrees before you feel it, probably because of the well planned weight distribution.

It does not feel heavy on the track at all. If anything I would say it feels a couple lbs lighter than the 09. I wouldn't say like a 250F, but I would definitely say that the extra 7 lbs is not a factor.

Also, the bike is very quiet. I think? around 94DB ? It was quiet for sure, even quieter than my 07 in stock form.

That is all I have after 3 laps, but I do get rides on each year, and I did have an 07. Yamaha did their homework once again.

• DPW

Posted November 28, 2009 - 04:57 PM

nice reviews...thanks for sharing!

• mxboy2661

Posted November 29, 2009 - 06:40 AM

sweet review! keep us updated, im in nj waiting still to get one

• honda597

Posted November 30, 2009 - 02:37 AM

Well i have had mine since friday, the bikes were released in australia on wednesday last week, and i am very impressed so far.
Bike feels very balanced and stable. The bike turns as well as my 09 RMZ450.
The suspension is still not full broken in as yet but so far no complaints. Like what has been said before, the motor is very responsive off the bottom and has a very smooth pull into the top. The overall finish is amazing.
Posted Image

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 30, 2009 - 03:57 AM

sweet review! keep us updated, im in nj waiting still to get one

I feel ya brother!.......I'm here in VA waiting on one to arrive at my dealer

• YamaLink

Posted November 30, 2009 - 05:58 AM

94db is very nice!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AZcrRider

Posted November 30, 2009 - 06:32 AM

I have to add a couple more positives -

-Slightly opaque lower gas tank so you can see when you are low on gas.
-solid black lower shrouds with no graphics and textured for grip.
-The grayed triples and lower fork look real nice.

And the bike is not hard to start, it is just a more exact starting procedure. It could be my imagination, but the bike seems harder to stall as well - maybe because of the crank relocation? or possible the fuel injection vs carb.

If I had to pick it apart ( in stock form), I would say it has a little too much power off the bottom, the air filter takes more steps to clean, and it needs a skid plate. The teeny stock glide plate is almost pointless.

Now if it just came with A-60's? :banghead:

• Wiz636

Posted November 30, 2009 - 02:11 PM

The bike turns as well as my 09 RMZ450.

If I had to pick it apart ( in stock form), I would say it has a little too much power off the bottom...

What the...did I click on the wrong forum? I thought all YZ's pushed and had no bottom end :banghead:

• Kasjok

Posted December 05, 2009 - 11:34 AM

Our local dealer here in Estonia had a test day for 2010 models. YZ125 YZ250F and YZ450F. Too bad they had no YZ250.

To give you a bit back story I have a 08 YZ450F now, I am racing in about secound half of the B class in your terms ( I guess). I had a friend there with his 09 YZ450F so I got to compare bikes back to back.

Anyways, I tested them all.

YZ125 - the funnest bike out there! It is so light and I can throw it around with very little effort. However, as I am used to riding 450F`s and am a bit over 200 lbs, it was a bit underpowered for me. After getting used to pinning it and using clutch it was so much fun. How ever it would be hard , especially for me, to use it for racing. Handeling was, like a allready mentioned, super light and accurate. However it was not as stable as the 4 strokes, prorbable because of lacking engine braking and me being not used to this kind of bikes.

YZ250F - Very nice bottom end. It felt like I had jumped on a small 450 (in some sense I had). But I have had a chance to ride 09 and 08 YZ250F for quite a lot and this one sure had mroe bottom end. A magazine said it had unbalanced suspension, but I felt non of that. It felt as good as the last years and I was very pleased. I felt the cornering for me was best on YZ250F. It might relate to it being lighter than 450 and not producing this crazy power that might set me off in corners.
Bike suffered some crazy bogging. The carb was probably not set up as good as it might have been and that was a pitty. .

YZ450F - finally had a chance to test it out. First of all - this bike has some serious power! EFI made it so responsive and it had MASSIVE bottom end power. Allthough I was riding a sand track, I felt it was too much would even consider it a con. Too much power isn`t always good. It felt nimble and and cornered better than 09 and 08 for sure. How ever this crazy bottom end set me sometime off balance in rutted corners. Comparing to 250F is wrong, this bike is 450 and allthough it was easy to lay down and stuff, you could still feel the extra weight on brakings and some other sections. Too bad the track was rather small without any long straightaways where I could analyse top-end better, but as much as I pinned it, it made very good power.
Suspension was great, ergos were similar to older models, main difference perhaps being that I could further forward then before. All in all, I think it was a great bike. A bit fiddling with EFI to get it smoother of the bottom and a bit higher bars was all it needed in my opinion.

Oh, and the sound. It sounded mean :banghead:

• rider211

Posted December 06, 2009 - 07:47 AM

Our local dealer here in Estonia had a test day for 2010 models. YZ125 YZ250F and YZ450F. Too bad they had no YZ250.

To give you a bit back story I have a 08 YZ450F now, I am racing in about secound half of the B class in your terms ( I guess). I had a friend there with his 09 YZ450F so I got to compare bikes back to back.

Anyways, I tested them all.

YZ125 - the funnest bike out there! It is so light and I can throw it around with very little effort. However, as I am used to riding 450F`s and am a bit over 200 lbs, it was a bit underpowered for me. After getting used to pinning it and using clutch it was so much fun. How ever it would be hard , especially for me, to use it for racing. Handeling was, like a allready mentioned, super light and accurate. However it was not as stable as the 4 strokes, prorbable because of lacking engine braking and me being not used to this kind of bikes.

YZ250F - Very nice bottom end. It felt like I had jumped on a small 450 (in some sense I had). But I have had a chance to ride 09 and 08 YZ250F for quite a lot and this one sure had mroe bottom end. A magazine said it had unbalanced suspension, but I felt non of that. It felt as good as the last years and I was very pleased. I felt the cornering for me was best on YZ250F. It might relate to it being lighter than 450 and not producing this crazy power that might set me off in corners.
Bike suffered some crazy bogging. The carb was probably not set up as good as it might have been and that was a pitty. .

YZ450F - finally had a chance to test it out. First of all - this bike has some serious power! EFI made it so responsive and it had MASSIVE bottom end power. Allthough I was riding a sand track, I felt it was too much would even consider it a con. Too much power isn`t always good. It felt nimble and and cornered better than 09 and 08 for sure. How ever this crazy bottom end set me sometime off balance in rutted corners. Comparing to 250F is wrong, this bike is 450 and allthough it was easy to lay down and stuff, you could still feel the extra weight on brakings and some other sections. Too bad the track was rather small without any long straightaways where I could analyse top-end better, but as much as I pinned it, it made very good power.
Suspension was great, ergos were similar to older models, main difference perhaps being that I could further forward then before. All in all, I think it was a great bike. A bit fiddling with EFI to get it smoother of the bottom and a bit higher bars was all it needed in my opinion.

Oh, and the sound. It sounded mean :banghead:

you tested the 2010 yz250f and didnt like how the carb was set up? i havent rode one but i dont like the carb set up either......because it dosent have a carb its fuel injected:bonk:

• Thumper38

Posted December 06, 2009 - 07:49 AM

I don't believe the 250f is fuel injected yet!

• Kasjok

Posted December 06, 2009 - 08:02 AM

you tested the 2010 yz250f and didnt like how the carb was set up? i havent rode one but i dont like the carb set up either......because it dosent have a carb its fuel injected:bonk:

Posted Image

• twenty34

Posted December 06, 2009 - 08:24 AM

Are you certain the 2010 250 is Fuel Injected? Hmmm.

2010 Yamaha YZ250F Jetting Specs:
Main: 180
Pilot: 45
Needle: NDJR-4
Leak: 70
Fuel Screw (turns out): 2.25

Posted Image

• DPW

Posted December 06, 2009 - 08:45 AM

:banghead:

Posted Image

• Luv2crash

Posted December 06, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Bet he wishes he could take that one back

• steve_97060

Posted December 06, 2009 - 10:28 AM

Bet he wishes he could take that one back

he always has such words of wisdom in his posts...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.