06 vs 07 WR450F

31 replies to this topic
  • Cobalt650

Posted November 15, 2009 - 07:14 PM

Are there substantial enough changes in the '07 to focus ones search soley on an 07 or later? 06's are around for $3,500 or so, $4,200 and up for 07's. Thanks much:thumbsup:

• ASternad

Posted November 15, 2009 - 07:51 PM

Big changes in 07 - up. It's worth it. Aluminum frame for one and refined engine work will go along way in edging past the 06.

• BOBR

Posted November 16, 2009 - 11:11 AM

I've had 5 WR's from 00' to my current 08' and the 06' I never really liked anything about it. My biggest complaint was the motor it was so neutered that it was really lacking bottom end to mid range power unless you rode it like a 250. I currently have an 08', which is bascially the same as an 07' (BNG's) and the bike is the best so far. The motor has way better power where you need it, wave rotor style brakes work great, the aluminum frame and the geometry of the bike seems to make it feel more planted in turns and just seems to handle much better than before...all well worth the money.

• davidl9999

Posted November 16, 2009 - 12:54 PM

Definitely the '07 over the '06. I have an '09 now and owned an '07 250F. Invest in a quality torque wrench if you don't already have one.

• diegox450

Posted November 16, 2009 - 01:01 PM

Lack of bottom end in 06 ?????????????? :S

I rode 07's an 08's, all of them uncorked, and they haven't got any power compared to my uncorked 06.... The alu frame does nothing than saving costs for Yamaha, and the geometry is exactly the same... the only thing I liked from the newer models is the wave rotors... they brake pretty good... Oh... alu framed ones are a few pounds heavier...

• unclemd

Posted November 16, 2009 - 01:13 PM

I used to work on the parts counter at the local Yamaha dealership. Just bought my 07 WR450f and one of my ex coworkers has a 06 WR450F. The other day he tried my bike and his first response is that it felt a little lighter even if it isn't and he said both bikes feel about the same on the power front. Both good bikes depends on what you want if the 06 is better shape with less hours then go for that and if the 07 is better shape with less hours then go for that.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 16, 2009 - 01:40 PM

he said both bikes feel about the same

I have and 06 and 08 both setup the same...IMHO this is how they compare:

• Motor wise they are the exact same
  • Handling wise they are the exact same
  • Look wise they are completely different :excuseme:

• BOBR

Posted November 17, 2009 - 11:28 AM

Wow i must of had a lemon 06' because mine was a dog on the bottom end and the handling was nothing like my 08'...and by the way, they made specific changes to the motor in 06' to try and make the power more linear, end result the power sucked.

Everyone has an opinion, take from it what you want.

Just my .02

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 17, 2009 - 12:06 PM

by the way, they made specific changes to the motor in 06'

Can you show me were you found that they made these changes?

BTW an aftermarket slip on does wonders for the bottom end on the WR's :excuseme:

• unclemd

Posted November 17, 2009 - 12:57 PM

This is the dimensions from both Yamaha service manuals for the 07 and 06 WR450F cams. Both intake and exhaust have more lift on the 06 model but it doesn't show the timings and durations of the cams.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Diabs

Posted November 17, 2009 - 01:12 PM

I'll throw my 2 cents in....even though its biased. My '06 uncorked has it all...down low, mid and top end!

I look at it like this.....Yamaha made the best steel frame WR and couldn't or didn't have to change anything, but had to follow suit of the other guys.

I rather try and crack my steel frame and have it welded anywhere, than the newer ones.

Than again, i'm usally old-school....I like steel!

• diegox450

Posted November 18, 2009 - 11:07 AM

I'll throw my 2 cents in....even though its biased. My '06 uncorked has it all...down low, mid and top end!

I look at it like this.....Yamaha made the best steel frame WR and couldn't or didn't have to change anything, but had to follow suit of the other guys.

I rather try and crack my steel frame and have it welded anywhere, than the newer ones.

Than again, i'm usally old-school....I like steel!

I think the same... wonderful words !! :excuseme:

• biggziff

Posted November 18, 2009 - 11:12 AM

I think the same... wonderful words !! :excuseme:

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but....I asked 4 different Yamaha techs at 3 dealers which year WR to consider. They all said the steel frame bikes are easier to work on and about as bulletproof as you can get. So I bought an 05.

• YamaLink

Posted November 18, 2009 - 01:01 PM

All things being equal in terms of bike condition it'd be tough for me to pay an extra $700 for the 07 for my needs/riding.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 18, 2009 - 02:00 PM

All things being equal in terms of bike condition it'd be tough for me to pay an extra $700 for the 07 for my needs/riding.

Same here, last year I had the same decision was $600 worth the extra for the aluminum bling, after reading peoples opinion's about how hard it was to get to the carb? - same weight -- $600 buy's allot extra part's that will make me go/crash faster, lol.

• RSAthump

Posted November 20, 2009 - 04:56 AM

the steel frames are easier to work on.. carb access
The Alu frames dont have an oil tank so center of gravity is lower
The alu frame bikes are lighter
The Alu frame bikes handle better as a result of the above
Oh and they look cooler..

• diegox450

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:51 AM

the steel frames are easier to work on.. carb access
The Alu frames dont have an oil tank so center of gravity is lower
The alu frame bikes are lighter
The Alu frame bikes handle better as a result of the above
Oh and they look cooler..

Sorry, but alu bikes aren't lighter... You need a lot more aluminium to make a frame of the same strenght as steel... (Look at KTM)

Actually, your cooler, lower center gravity '08 is 2 pounds heavier than my ugly higher center gravity steel framed '06 :excuseme:

The only reason for using alu frames, is lower costs for the manufacturer

Greetings...

• yz-dwg

Posted November 20, 2009 - 01:35 PM

IMHO get the '06, easier to work on and unless you need to shave a couple seconds off your lap times, you might not notice the handling difference. I love my '06, I can change jets without removing the carb. I am old and slow but have raced a few HS, I dont think it matters '06-'07, they are still big heavy 450's in the tight stuff

• GuyGraham

Posted November 23, 2009 - 05:14 AM

You need a lot more aluminium to make a frame of the same strenght as steel.

Not if the shape is right #(deep thin box section)
Possible to get same strength for less weight using Al

As for lower costs - I don't think so
Al is alot more expensive to buy and process

I bet the AL frame costs Yam more to make than the steel one, what with all those castings and welding

• Charles De Mar

Posted November 23, 2009 - 07:47 AM

I have a steel framed '06. It's paid for and is the best bike I own:busted: It also works very well for me:banana:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.