No 5th gear in 2002 YZ426

10 replies to this topic
  • jroon

Posted November 15, 2009 - 01:14 PM

The Gods must hate me...After a litany of issues with this rebuilt 426(thank you grayracer for your help) I finally got it out for a ride, and no 5th gear! It goes into 5th and then just pops out. Now, it isn't the end of the world as this bike is destined to be an iceracer/harescrambles bike and I will never need 5th, but am I risking anything by leaving it alone?
Also, I had a few alum shavings in the oil filter after the first ride, is this a cause for concern?
Thanks again folks
JR

• l_campionero

Posted November 15, 2009 - 01:16 PM

Shift fork is bent or gear dogs are rounded off.
You risk further damage if you don't fix it.

• jroon

Posted November 15, 2009 - 01:30 PM

Thats what makes me crazy, 3 new shift forks and the guys were supposed to inspect all the gears before they assembled it.

• MIKE ANIMAL

Posted November 15, 2009 - 03:27 PM

Shift fork is bent or gear dogs are rounded off.
You risk further damage if you don't fix it.

i also would not ride it . till you got it fixted. could be bad for your helth. i have ben on a bike when trane gears locked up at around 40or50 mph. calsed from my buddie speed shifting his bike. i was test rideing his bike when he said 4th gear was not working right. somthing to think about.

• l_campionero

Posted November 15, 2009 - 03:40 PM

....the guys were supposed to inspect all the gears before they assembled it.

Popping out of gear doesn't happen for no reason. Take it back and explain the problem, demanding it be rectified.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2009 - 05:11 PM

If you never use 5th, it will never be a problem. But they really are responsible for it if they put it together like that.

• jroon

Posted November 15, 2009 - 05:22 PM

That they are, the thing is it was done by the students at the College where I teach. They were supposed to have supervision, I guess it wasn't really there. I paid nothing for labour, but I did drop about 6 hundred bucks in parts and a lot of my own time sorting out some other messes. I know splitting the cases isn't rocket science but I just don't have the gumption to pull the whole thing out of the frame and apart again.
Thanks for your time Gray.

• R_Little

Posted November 16, 2009 - 07:18 AM

Like they say.

If you want something done right..........

• fritzelman

Posted November 23, 2009 - 12:19 PM

What all was done to it in the rebuild? My guess would be they screwed up the spacing one one or both of you transmission shafts. In my case it was just to cogs on the 5 gearset had warn enough to pop out of gear.

• jroon

Posted November 23, 2009 - 02:21 PM

The bike was a complete basket case. I bought all new bearings, seals, shift forks, piston etc. We had two complete bottom ends to work from. All the gears were in good shape(according to the shops teacher) so it was assembled by the students. When you static test it on the stand it will go into 5th, as soon as you put a load on it while riding it just pops right out. So, I don't what i'm gonna do yet. I have been riding it and checking the oil and filter(no metal) and its been fine. Just annoys me not having 5th.

• rufusz

Posted November 24, 2009 - 01:49 AM

Shop teacher is not knowing something properly.... (bent shift fork, negative cutting gone)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.