Handlle Bar Info-What are the in's and outs?

6 replies to this topic
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted April 25, 2003 - 06:18 AM


I've just bent the hell out of my stock bars (99 WR400F). Looking to replace them. Not sure about what to look for. I used to have a set of Renthal's on a XR. Liked'em O.K. Don't know if I need to order bars specifically for my bike (i.e., are throttle diameters all universal, will the bars I order fit my stock clamps) Obviously, if I order fat bars, I will need new clamps. 1st time purchasing bars, not sure what to do. Can I be confident walking into my local shop and picking out whatever bars they have in stock? :)

  • MOmilkman

Posted April 25, 2003 - 06:44 AM


Heres a current thread on the YZ side that might get you started.


if you buy std size bars then they will fit right on your stock TC.
And yes, the throttle housing is the same for all size bars.

  • daytripper63

Posted April 25, 2003 - 07:23 AM


Tag bars definetly have held up without bending in some hard crashes. Just find out what type bend works best for your comfort
Im six foot and like the CR high bend

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted April 25, 2003 - 08:49 AM


I guess I'm more worried about mouting the new bars with all of my stock hardware. I've got moose handguards, stock everything else. With what bars to I have to worry about ordering specifically for a 99 WR400? When will I have to change my triple clamp? :)

  • MOmilkman

Posted April 25, 2003 - 09:27 AM


You wont have to change your triple clamp unless you want oversize bars. ie: Protaper, etc..

All handlebars are universal. (meaning they can go on any bike) You dont have to worry about them being bike specific.

If you buy a set of Std Renthal bars then all you need to do is remove your bark busters off your old bars along with all the stock hardware and put the new ones on. :)

  • uncleshig

Posted April 25, 2003 - 09:54 AM


just ask your dealer fo rthe Renthal 966 bend. You cannot go wrong. it is also known as the McGrath bend, the YZ bend etc... ask for the Renthal 966 bend :)

  • jchantzWR400F

Posted April 28, 2003 - 04:25 AM


Thanks guys, I used to have a 96 xr250 "L", and I could almost bet that if I didn't order replacement parts specifically for that make and model of bike, they wouldn't come close to fitting. That experience has made me a puss when it comes to ordering aftermarket stuff.

I thought the bars were universal, just needing some reassurance. :)


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.